So How's PlayStation Plus doing?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ShadowSoldier

Before you go demanding people back up their claims with evidence or proof, you might want to do the same for your own posts.

Except I'm not saying one is superior in terms of stability. Value? Yeah sure, PSN wins because of the free stuff and everything. But I don't say one is better than the other. Though I could have worded my first post to say that "Just paying for Xbox Live when you have a PS3 as well is unjustifiable."

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while I do think PSN is better value for money I could not justify buying it myself as I already have most the games I want to play on the ps3 already. Still the stats issued seem surprisingly good though.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ShadowSoldier

Before you go demanding people back up their claims with evidence or proof, you might want to do the same for your own posts.

Except I'm not saying one is superior in terms of stability. Value? Yeah sure, PSN wins because of the free stuff and everything. But I don't say one is better than the other. Though I could have worded my first post to say that "Just paying for Xbox Live when you have a PS3 as well is unjustifiable."

You're claiming that PSN is more diverse and more players are spread out between games, while Xbox Live users only flock around a select few titles. Do you have proof for this? Can you back that statement up?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ShadowSoldier

You're claiming that PSN is more diverse and more players are spread out between games, while Xbox Live users only flock around a select few titles. Do you have proof for this? Can you back that statement up?

No I said most people flock to games while there are still some on other types of games, it's pretty barren, not saying entirely, but a huge chunk of it is. I mean I had a few Xbox Live games that I just couldn't find anybody to play with. I go to the PS3, and hell even Uncharted 2 still has players in it. I never tried Killzone 3 yet, but I would ASSUME that there are still players in it.

I mean, my friend was telling me of this one site that's set up to make meet ups for older games that have achievements like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, where everybody makes a date for a certain day to help each other get online achievements. I know he did it with Borderlands 1.

I haven't heard or seen any site like that for the PS3, but that's just from my experience. It's kind of hard to get proof and evidence to back up that claim just so you know.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ShadowSoldier

No I said most people flock to games while there are still some on other types of games, it's pretty barren, not saying entirely, but a huge chunk of it is. I mean I had a few Xbox Live games that I just couldn't find anybody to play with. I go to the PS3, and hell even Uncharted 2 still has players in it. I never tried Killzone 3 yet, but I would ASSUME that there are still players in it.

I mean, my friend was telling me of this one site that's set up to make meet ups for older games that have achievements like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, where everybody makes a date for a certain day to help each other get online achievements. I know he did it with Borderlands 1.

I haven't heard or seen any site like that for the PS3, but that's just from my experience. It's kind of hard to get proof and evidence to back up that claim just so you know.

Uncharted 2 is a widely promoted, first party sales behemoth. Comparing its online community to that of a downloadable game isn't exactly fair, no? Killzone 3 was also a huge title released just last year, so of course people are likely still playing it. I'd be shocked if they weren't. If we're going by that, Halo 3 and GTAIV still receive tons of regular play on Xbox Live, and they were released in 2007 and 2008, respectively. (Major Nelson)

Also, the fact that you had trouble finding people to play with in a few games may not be reflective of the entirety of the service. I'm curious, which games were they? When were you trying to play them, and how long was it after their release? Older/less noteworthy games having their online communities dry up isn't exactly a phenomenon limited to Xbox Live, after all. I mean, how many people are still playing something like Soldier of Fortune: Payback anywhere? If I were to judge any gaming service by a title like that alone, my impression is going to be pretty dire, even if doesn't fully reflect the bigger picture.

Achievement/Trophy boosting isn't really anything novel, regardless of the size of the game's online community. I mean, according to Major Nelson, the first Borderlands is hanging in the top 20. It's not like its servers are anything close to resembling a barren wasteland (as fitting as that might be, considering the game's setting).

I appreciate that it's hard to find concrete details on the subject matter, but that doesn't mean we should go about filling the vacuum with baseless claims and assumptions.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ShadowSoldier

Uncharted 2 is a widely promoted, first party sales behemoth. Comparing its online community to that of a downloadable game isn't exactly fair, no? Killzone 3 was also a huge title released just last year, so of course people are likely still playing it. I'd be shocked if they weren't. If we're going by that, Halo 3 and GTAIV still receive tons of regular play on Xbox Live, and they were released in 2007 and 2008, respectively. (Major Nelson)

Also, the fact that you had trouble finding people to play with in a few games may not be reflective of the entirety of the service. I'm curious, which games were they? When were you trying to play them, and how long was it after their release? Older/less noteworthy games having their online communities dry up isn't exactly a phenomenon limited to Xbox Live, after all. I mean, how many people are still playing something like Soldier of Fortune: Payback anywhere? If I were to judge any gaming service by a title like that alone, my impression is going to be pretty dire, even if doesn't fully reflect the bigger picture.

Achievement/Trophy boosting isn't really anything novel, regardless of the size of the game's online community. I mean, according to Major Nelson, the first Borderlands is hanging in the top 20. It's not like its servers are anything close to resembling a barren wasteland (as fitting as that might be, considering the game's setting).

I appreciate that it's hard to find concrete details on the subject matter, but that doesn't mean we should go about filling the vacuum with baseless claims and assumptions.

I posted based off of my experiences. There's not much more I can do. But once again, the whole discussion was more about how Hells said that Xbox Live is a superior service to PSN or such, and that PlayStation Plus is only meant if you want to play by yourself.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. But the so called bonuses from xblive you get else where for free. Locking those services out w/o gold is a dick move my microsoft.

He's actually right about gold players jumping from one game to the next. Everytime a new call or duty, gears of war or need for speed comes out they more often than not stop playing the old game. Each IP on gold has the same players. Rarely do I meet somebody new playing the next game in an I.P. I have actually went as far as to ask them why they stopped playing the old ones. For the most part, they feel like paying for gold to play an old game online is a waste of their money. If online multiplayer was available for silver members they would go back to playing some of the old games in a series. This is a huge sign for me. My friends mostly have 360 cause they were cheaper at launch, so i buy my online games for the 360 and single player games on ps3. But after talking with many xb360 players, I can believe the psn has more diverse players. oh BTW the only reason my friends and family haven't jumped ship for the ps3 and psn is because of the lack of cross play chat. cross play chat makes meeting up for games much faster and easier.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd rather a better online service as opposed to some extra crap i'd never play/use.

Xbox live is for playing with people and friends.
PS Plus is for playing with yourself.

Pretty much this. Sony really needs to improve their online service, especially downloads on the Vita, it's absolutely horrible how slow their service is.

D

Deleted_171835

PSN+ doesn't really appeal to me as it's simply a glorified renting service. If you cancel your PSN+ subscription, you lose all your games.

Getting those games for free isn't even that much of a bonus for free since they're mostly old and I can get games for cheap during a Steam sale, anyway (that won't go away if I unsubscribe).

Izzy011

The Business Bitch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd get PS+ just for the discounts alone. The games don't interest me at all, since they're not really free once your subscription ends

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since I subscribed for a year back in mid june for about $25, Ive gotten these games for free

Choplifter HD
Virtual Fighter 5
inFamous 2
Little Big Planet 2
Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
Sideway New York
Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone
Just Cause 2
Saints Row 2
Lara Craft and the Guardian of Light
Hard Corps Uprising
Kaleidoscope (minis)
Orbit (minis)
Farm Frenzy 2 (minis)
Little Big Planet Sackboys Prehistoric Moves
Gotham City Imposters
Renegade Ops
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
The Walking Dead Episodes 1 & 2
Borderlands
BloodRayne Betryal
Outland
Double Dragon Neon
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Starhawk + All DLC
(tons of free avatars, themes, dynamic themes, dlc)

so um yeah, still have 9 months left and I already got all these games

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

since I subscribed for a year back in mid june for about $25, Ive gotten these games for free

~
so um yeah, still have 9 months left and I already got all these games
And when your subscription ends, everything is gone so um yeah.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSN+ doesn't really appeal to me as it's simply a glorified renting service. If you cancel your PSN+ subscription, you lose all your games.

Getting those games for free isn't even that much of a bonus for free since they're mostly old and I can get games for cheap during a Steam sale, anyway (that won't go away if I unsubscribe).

Well duh. It isn't really fair that if you just buy a one month subscription get all the free games, don't renew and you still keep them. That's not fair at all.

Reactions: 3 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox Live is rather dismal, coming from an Xbox user for years.

You pay like $65/year or something like that for a service that gives you nothing back. I mean you pay money to use features that the PS3 gets for free. Like if I wanted to watch Netflix on my Xbox, it's $8/month for the subscription to Netflix, plus $5/month for Live. That's ridiculous.

Most of the time the only thing you get out of it is mediocre sales. I mean I got some good deals like half off Borderlands DLC but most of the time it's just shit game sales or DLC sales I don't care bout. Wow, that CoD map pack is on sale for $10! Such a bargain!

You get jacksquat in return for paying. At least Playstation Plus gives you free shit and is usable across the Vita too (well, soon).

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Numbers from these types of surveys are skewed from the start. How many former subscribers do you think were surveyed? How many people take the time to fill out a survey for a service when they cancel it. If you're surveying current subscribers, chances are you're going to get a fairly positive response since these people are already paying for the service...

I don't own an Xbox because I think it's the superior system. I bought an xbox because it had the games I wanted to play and for cheaper (plus the console itself was over $100 cheaper at the time). I didn't have xbox live for over a year because I didn't care to play online. A buddy finally talked me into getting on xbox live and now it's pretty much the hub of my "home media center"... We watch 95% of out television split between netflix and amazon instant video with the occasional zune purchase. It does what I want it to do and I'll keep renewing it until something better comes along...which is the mindset of likely most of those people surveyed. Why not publish the opinions of people who were dissatisfied with the service along side the positive testimonials and let the reader decide for themselves what to make of it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs