Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's been some time since a lot of people here downloaded Brawl and played the heck out of it. So, I was just looking for some opinions now. How is Brawl so far? Like, was it worth the wait...or rather, is it going to be worth the wait when it comes out March 9th. Is it MUCH different than Melee?

I'm just curious
nyanya.gif

Also, Rock Band Wii is confirmed for a release around April, so I was just wondering how Brawl is so far. I'm gonna have to decide which game to get first out of those 2, since I can't buy both at the same time/very close to each other >.< Meh, I LOVE Guitar Hero..but then again I love Melee. But I might just be OK with playing Brawl at my friends for a bit before buying it myself. I dunno, I have 3 sisters so I guess both games would be a blast to us, hah.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think of it this way. It has some aspects of Melee, but most of it is pretty new because of the new physics of the game.

People say it's Melee.15, but I'd disagree. To me, it's more like a new game using the name Smash Bros.

I look at it through a competitive side as well: There's new techniques to be learned. Maybe there's more, we don't know because the game's only been out for 2-3 weeks. There's much more to explore in the game. And the gap between pros and amateurs, compared to Melee, is MUCH more closer now. So, even amateurs can almost win against a pro.

The game is much more balanced so far, there's a few glitches here and there but it's alright. It's not as broken as Wavedashing in Melee where everyone liked to complain about. The game is based a lot more on mindgames now rather than technical abilities, which is also a plus.

beesnees31

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, it's been some time since a lot of people here downloaded Brawl and played the heck out of it. So, I was just looking for some opinions now. How is Brawl so far? Like, was it worth the wait...or rather, is it going to be worth the wait when it comes out March 9th. Is it MUCH different than Melee?

I'm just curious
nyanya.gif

Also, Rock Band Wii is confirmed for a release around April, so I was just wondering how Brawl is so far. I'm gonna have to decide which game to get first out of those 2, since I can't buy both at the same time/very close to each other >.< Meh, I LOVE Guitar Hero..but then again I love Melee. But I might just be OK with playing Brawl at my friends for a bit before buying it myself. I dunno, I have 3 sisters so I guess both games would be a blast to us, hah.

wait rock band is declared for wii?

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's pretty much same as melee imo. More characters and smash ballz. But then again i never played much melee either.
More like melee 1.5 than a new game[just my opinion(not such a hardcore smash bros. fan)], but it's still good/great/awesome. Especially if you have friends to play with.

Gifted1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it playing with the Wiimote & Wiimote+Nunchuck? I think I'm gonna order another Thrustmaster GC/CC control because I somehow dont think I would enjoy playing with the Wiimote & Wiimote+Nunchuck but I would like to know what people's experiences are playing with them.

jjkm4a1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

I've been a big fan of SSB64, my friends and I still play it often. I never really liked melee, and just finally got a copy of it and still don't play it.

As for Brawl, I really like it. The best things about it are the character selection and the graphics. I usually don't obsess about graphics, but these are really good for the wii. Adventure mode is pretty cool, and it's taking me a long time to finish, which is a good thing, plus there's higher difficulties which make the game even more challenging in the future.

One last thing, I prefer the gamecube controller all the way. It's TOO easy to use the C-stick to do smash attacks.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game to me, it sorta sucks.

Maybe it's cause I've been checking the Smash Bros. Dojo every day since it's creation, and have been anxiously awaiting the release. I may be expecting too much of the game, and that's why I don't think it's as good as a lot of people make it out to be.

It's not Melee. It's nothing like Melee. They either took out the notable stuff that made Melee the game it is, or changed it drastically to where it's not even recognizable as something from the previous game.

For example, air dodging, still exists, but crippled far beyond recognition. It's almost useless now. Before you could direct your air dodge, which was cool not only for wavedashing, but for mind games as well. Now you just "go with the flow" air dodge, which limits it's usability ten fold.

The levels are about what I expected them to be, and keep up with the pattern the previous two games set: they suck. There's a few that are good, but when it comes down to you playing the game for several years, you'll find that the best battle ground is a flat plane with no obstruction or intruding dangers or distractions from what the game's meant for, fighting.

The items this time around seem to be mostly hard-hitting and over-effective. One that really fits the description is the spicy curry. It lasts way too long, and it's pretty hard to counter or avoid. Most of the assist trophies are over-powered, the rest are just annoying. The smash ball is pretty cool for a while, but I think it'll get boring.

Most of the final smashes are ineffective once you find the weakness. If you find out how to dodge the move, avoid the confrontation, then they're just pretty boring. You end up either running away and wasting time that could have been spent fighting, or get killed and waste time in the protective first moments of spawning. Some though are really imbalanced. Sonic for example, there's nothing you can do if you're alive and your opponent uses it. You can get lucky, if they suck with it, and not get smashed out, but you're going to take damage from it. The most rediculus final smash though, is the Landmaster Tank, which can be summoned by 3 of the same type of character.

Which brings me to the characters. Many people complain that Melee had too many clones. I guess the developers either didn't hear them or didn't care, because now there's an outstanding amount of the same character with a different model. I mean there's three fox type characters, and they all have the same moves to boot. Half of the new characters introduced in the game are replacements from characters less-liked in the previous game, cloned and tweaked barely. Ness has a clone for god's sake.

And if you had a favorite character from the previous game, expect them to now suck balls and be completely ass-backwards to what you're used to. Link turned from a fast paced, projectile spewing whirlwind into a cumbersome pebble tossing tortoise. Gannon's slow-but-still-usable performance turned into stop motion video. Samus went from a fairly usable and powerful character to worthless with her suit on, and quirky with her suit off.

I havn't gotten to play online yet, but I know it's only going to increase my amount of bitching about the many flaws of the game. I mean, there's no leader board, no ranking system, no way to know your opponent, no sure way to turn off and on items or pick your map, no way to tell the connection speed of the opponents, no multiple players on one console, no fun. It's like they wanted to have the most boring experience possible when you choose to play online. Want to team up with a friend against another team somewhere else? Nope, you get some random noob. Want to know who's the best smasher in all the world? Nope, no one is, I guess. Want to see clans of pros, or recognize a friend's avatar while playing online? NO. No no no no no. You can play online, as far as you can tell, and you better enjoy it because it's not going to get any better.

Oh, forgot. The fact that you can use all 4 types of controller, is cool for those who don't have Gamecube controllers. But it ruins the analogue shielding introduced in the previous game. It really throws me off. I got so used to barely even touching the trigger to shield, and now I have to mash it all the way down and click it. It's retarded.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ontopic: How are the controls?

Well, it's whatever suits you. I'm still so used to Melee, I'm a lot more comfortable with a Gamecube controller. Wiimote + Nunchuck is fine. You can customize your buttons, but I just don't really know how at the moment (I can't read japanese). I'm able to use both.

And in my opinion, for those who compare it to Melee, its not quite possible. I mean, you can compare it, but Brawl is a totally different game. It's like comparing Super Mario with Smash Bros. It's way too different because of the new physics and removed/new techniques.

For example, air dodging, still exists, but crippled far beyond recognition. It's almost useless now. Before you could direct your air dodge, which was cool not only for wavedashing, but for mind games as well. Now you just "go with the flow" air dodge, which limits it's usability ten fold.

Which brings me to the characters. Many people complain that Melee had too many clones. I guess the developers either didn't hear them or didn't care, because now there's an outstanding amount of the same character with a different model. I mean there's three fox type characters, and they all have the same moves to boot. Half of the new characters introduced in the game are replacements from characters less-liked in the previous game, cloned and tweaked barely. Ness has a clone for god's sake.

And if you had a favorite character from the previous game, expect them to now suck balls and be completely ass-backwards to what you're used to. Link turned from a fast paced, projectile spewing whirlwind into a cumbersome pebble tossing tortoise. Gannon's slow-but-still-usable performance turned into stop motion video. Samus went from a fairly usable and powerful character to worthless with her suit on, and quirky with her suit off.

I agree with some of your points, but disagree with those I've quoted. How do you define a clone? Yes, Falco and Fox were similar in Melee, but has been drastically changed in Brawl. Wolf, Falco, and Fox are not clones. I was worried they were when I first saw them, but I'm glad they're not. You can tell by looking at all the standard A buttons (up tilt, down tilt, front tilt, back air, front air, up air and down air). That's a whole lot of moves that are different already. They might have similar moves here and there (their lasers for example) but everyone one of them have different animations and effect (fox's laser doesn't stun, falco can perform a short hop double laser that stuns, wolf can only perform laser on a ground unless you full jump)

Air dodge is different, but it's to remove wavedash which I'm fine with. (Yes, I use wavedash a lot in melee because I'm a falco main. I need it for waveshines.) But it can be a plus depending on how you look at it. You can jump and/or attack out of it when the animation of an airdodge is done. This adds a lot more options for those who want to counter an attack. Think of a situation where you're coming back from the stage, the opponent jumps off to hit you farther (edgeguard you). One thing you could do is jump towards him/her and air dodge. Plus you still have an attack left. You airdodge the attack and you end up behind the opponent. You use that opportunity to attack since now your opponent is farther away from the stage then you are. Well anyways, airdodge can be used for many reasons now, not only for wavedash.

But yeah, those are my opinions.
tongue.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deadmon: Yeah, I guess you're right, I should point out something good about the game... But the music's never been very exciting for me anyway. I turn it off to make battles more epic, but whatever, I'm sure it's pretty good. The tune for the new super hammer is awesome, it's like, probably the best thing about the game.

Anakir: You know, I hate when people say that Fox/Falco/Wolf are different characters. Dude, they're the same. Yes, their moves have different ranges, damages, knockbacks, but still man, it's not like the difference's between them is anywhere close to the differences between say Game and Watch and Donkey Kong. The aforementioned two characters are obviously different, the Star Fox characters are obviously the same. No they're not exactly the same, so much to warrant a name like "clone", but they're the same enough to call them "THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTER".

And the air dodge is something I'm sure you can use in a different way, and I agree with you that being able to attack or recover, or dodge again afterwards adds a few more arieal tactics to the game, but I still don't like it. It seems spammable, where for the most part you can be damn near invincible in the air. When I'm trying to dodge Pikachu's final smash, or Sonic's, I just UpB as high as I can get then spam R until I land and repeat.

coolbgdog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I love brawl to be honest. When I first played brawl I was like "uhh this feels different and I wasn't really likin the speed. Then after like 4 matches I got used to it and loved it. The characters labeled clones are kinda like mario and luigi to put it ina good way.

SpiritBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I hate Brawl. A huge part of my hate is because it shouldn't be on the Wii. It should be on the 360, with the better live service. The Wii should be used for innovation, not the same old experience.
As far as the game go, I find that it gets old. Fast. Even when I played with 4 players it was boring, we played 2 matches and closed the Wii.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SSB as a series lasted one weekend for me when I rented the original bcak in the day, I have dabbled with each new version but none have yet to keep me hooked, there are just much better fighting games, and the gimmick of playing as a variety of different game's characters wears off fast.

My buddy loaded up SSBB last evening, we played a few matches and busted out our gamecube and played mario party 7 instead. I was hoping SSBB would be a good time waster when I have a few friends over, we crack a few beers and me and my buddies, can beat the heck outa each other, sadly it got boring quickly, especially once my buddy ian started playing as pikacheap.....it was all just meh.

Mar par will continue to be our party game of choice I suppose.

KKajun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Already put in over 500 VS. matchs with buddies, even a couple newcomers who've never even heard of the series before are now addicted to it. My little brother puts it best "I don't care if I win or not It's even fun when I lose".

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I like it better than Melee, More characther, less clones, the furfags are now completely different from one to an other, my main was Falco, now I suck with it. The gameplay feel slower but smoother at the same time. The game is way more balanced, now I can pick Bowser and lay waste on Fox, which is awesome. The stages and music give an even more epic feel to the game.

And I think that KKajun picked a nice exemple of what smash should be: Even when you lose the game is fun. Never I lost a game without laughing, if it's not the case your friends must be some serious people. We always find situation where we can make jokes and Smash is our first source of ''inside jokes'' like Ike dair attack got the surname of The Penis Move during our last game session and now it's a running gag.

Just don't take the game seriously, it's not a game like Halo or something like that (well you shouldn't take any game seriously, but some are made to be more serious.) It's a game like Anakir said, where a pro can be beaten by someone who play casualy (not a newcommer, but someone who play once in a while).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all