Apple So... about upgrading after jailbreaking...

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
OP
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Yes, I've already checked google but the answers aren't all that clear. =_=

I just jailbroke my 3.2.1. iPad and I was wondering if I'll be able to upgrade it to 4.3.1. and still keep the jailbreak or will I have to do it all over again?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
ragingchaosgod said:
Yes, I've already checked google but the answers aren't all that clear. =_=

I just jailbroke my 3.2.1. iPad and I was wondering if I'll be able to upgrade it to 4.3.1. and still keep the jailbreak or will I have to do it all over again?
You will need to redo the jailbreak again if you upgrade.

HOWEVER, just to tell you, i don't think there is a jailbreak for iOS 4.3.1 yet... correct me if i'm wrong, cuz i only check greenpois0n and redsn0w.

ragingchaosgod

JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG
OP
Trophies
Website
therokuryu.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Ah drat. I suppose I'll wait until the 4.3.1. jailbreak comes out before upgrading. Thanks for the prompt reply!

On that note, when I do upgrade, will I be able to keep the apps I installed during the previous jailbreak?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If i'm not wrong (don't blame me if this fails), you can appsync the apps into iTunes and then you can sync them back to your JAILBROKEN iDevice. I have not tried this before so I can't assure that this works.

Or else, no. You can't keep the apps and you can't sync them back (they will display an error message i think), you need to redownload.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no current jailbreak for 4.3.1, and the only ones for 4.3 are tethered (you have to run a program every time you want to turn your iPad on)
You keep apps, settings, contacts, saves, etc when you upgrade, unless something goes wrong (although it's unlikely)
If you saved your SHSH blobs, you should go to 4.2 (which is jailbreakable) for now to use multitasking, folders, etc

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Error 3194 means that Apple is no longer signing that firmware.

You could try using TinyUmbrella to see if your SHSHs for iOS 4.2.1 are on Cydia's servers. If Cydia's servers don't have the SHSHs, you can't use iOS 4.2.1.

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Related question to JB & upgrading...

I got an ipad 4.2.1 JB... shit load of [Redacted] files on it.... if I upgrade to a JB 4.3 (when it will come out) will I lose all my stuff on it? all my ([Redacted]) games, my photos, movies, etc...?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ You shouldn't lose anything, since it's just an update, and user files aren't touched in updates.
I upgraded to 4.3, and all my stuff ([Redacted] included) is still there.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
your stuck on 3.2.1 until a UNTEATHERED jailbreak is released [trust me a tethered jailbreak sucks] you will be unable to update to ANY update from 4.0-4.3 because you have not already updated your ipad to that firmware, the reason apple decided to stop people downgrading by having a one of a kind key created in every device, this key is used to temporally save the ssh blobs of each update [4.0 on]. hackers have found a way to save these blobs on cydia's servers using the program tiny umbrella. this program save all the blobs that are on your device, the only way to get these blobs is to get them officially from iTunes when they are the most recent update. So your stuck until 4.3.1 [the most current] becomes unteathered [I suspect it might happen soon as tweets from hackers are mentioning it] once it is make sure to BACKUP your ipad and RESTORE your ipad to 4.3.1 as it wouldn't be safe to update such on along way on a jailbroken idevice.
go to redmondpie.com as it has the most up to date info on all jailbreak news and contains guides
sorry for the long post but most people didn't seem to know what they where talking about
tongue.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ You can save SHSH blobs for a firmware even if you aren't on it. In fact, Cydia actually saves them for you if you let it ("Make my life easier")

sputnix said:
sorry for the long post but most people didn't seem to know what they where talking about
tongue.gif
There are a few knowledgeable people here
wink.gif

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
metamaster said:
^ You can save SHSH blobs for a firmware even if you aren't on it. In fact, Cydia actually saves them for you if you let it ("Make my life easier")

sputnix said:
tongue.gif
There are a few knowledgeable people here
wink.gif
yes but you must of INSTALLED it first, unless you updated it officially through iTunes you can't upgrade or downgrade to it because it was never signed to your idevice
unfortunately this guy hasn't so he's stuck

and yes there are knowlegdeable people here just most people who posted here only knew half of what they where talking about

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ The signature caching system that Saurik made uses one's ECID (the unique chip ID) to request the signature (which contain the SHSH hashes). The SHSH blobs are then saved, so that an update/restore/downgrade can be validated by iTunes even if Apple isn't accepting signature requests anymore. So when you press the Make my life easier button, your ECID is saved to Sauik's servers, so that next time, it's all done automatically. This works because Apple only asks for the ECID and firmware version to sign.
So whether you've been on a firmware or not, your ECID is the same.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
^yes but you still need the shsh blobs which you get from updating to the firmware officially from itunes, these blobs are saved to the cydia servers so you can downgrade to any of the at any time, and sometimes are used to jailbreak your idevice

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the whole point. As I've mentioned before, Cydia saves the SHSH blobs even if you aren't (or haven't been) on that firmware. You mustn't necessarily restore through iTunes to get Apple to provide the blobs, you just need the ECID.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
metamaster said:
That's the whole point. As I've mentioned before, Cydia saves the SHSH blobs even if you aren't (or haven't been) on that firmware. You mustn't necessarily restore through iTunes to get Apple to provide the blobs, you just need the ECID.
your right BUT you must of been on the firmware to have the shsh blobs,
for example I've been on 4.2, 4.2.1, and 4.3b3, therefore these are the only shsh blobs I have so when using tiny umbrella it will only upload these blobs to cydia, and now I can downgrade to these firmwares if I wanted to, but I cannot downgrade to 4.1 because I never installed it on my Iphone, I tried to downgrade to 4.1 because I was desperate for a JB Iphone [I was away from the scene for a long time and missed it very much] but because I don't have the blobs and apple doesn't sign the 4.1 firmware anymore I was out of luck and almost bricked my Iphone [that's what I get for wrecking my ipod 2g and leave the scene for a few months where so many things changed]

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*facepalm*
You couldn't downgrade to 4.1 because you hadn't saved the SHSH blobs for it. Apple stops signing them after a while, so if you've got a device with, say 4.2.1, it's probable that Apple stopped signing 4.1 by then. But if Apple were still signing them (ex: you got your device right after the next firmware came out), Cydia can save the SHSH blobs for the older firmware. But of course, you must first jailbreak on any firmware and allow Cydia to cache your SHSH blobs.
And in case you're still not convinced, read this and this. It's pretty much what I summed up earlier.
So, you don't have to be on a certain firmware to have saved SHSH blobs for it. How on earth do you think it's possible for normal users to get SHSH blobs for beta firmwares?

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I think we have finally come to an agreement [even though I had tell an embarrassing story of my JB woes] yes you can save SHSH blobs of previous firmware IF you have installed the firmware or if apple is currently signing the firmware and tiny umbrella can get the blobs for you without having to update to said firmware. You can not get the SHSH blobs if you haven't installed the firmware or if apple isn't signing it anymore.
THERE I hope we have now come to an agreement about SHSH blobs I hope this seemingly harmless argument about how SHSH blobs work in a thread where a guy was wondering if he could update to 4.3.1 who now probably doesn't give a shit about what were arguing about has ended.
I bid you a adieu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?