Hacking Sneek/mighty channels issues?

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay well hopefully somebody knows what's up with this :) Haven't been on here in a while, I used to have sneek running just fine, wii stopped working though etc etc. Just now getting back into the wii scene, I went to update all my stuff, but nand emulation of any sorts (besides partial, in usbloadergx) refuses to work. I can get sneek to boot, once. Sounds like an exaggeration, I know, but it boots once, asks me to do all the set up (I've tried both my own bootmii dump, and, one made with modmii) Boots to the wii menu, I can do whatever, but as soon as I quit and try to run it again, the drive keeps blinking (one blink, stop, one blink) I have read the guides, I see what one blink means (TMD of selected title is missing) the same nand dumps, don't work in mighty channels, either. Heck I even downgraded my cios to rev 14 and 17 in hopes of it working.

I know there's nothing more frustrating than zero information, so here goes. Priiloader removed from bootmii nand dump, mighty channels have tried rev 14, 17, and d2xv8. Tried on the root, and tried the path arguments. I either get ret=-1, or, no titles found. Ive tried 3 sd cards (FAT16, 32kb cluster size) and 2 hd's (50gb partitions, which I used for apps and emulation) (FAT32, 32kb clusters). So boils down to, why the heck would sneek boot once then fail every subsequent boot? and, what might be causing mighty channels to not load? (as stated, Ive tried using the paths, not with rev 14 or 17, I know they're not supported)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Here are a few things I think you could try:
1) try building an emunand from scratch using ModMii. I sometimes have issues getting my real nand dump to work with neek, but the clean ModMii nands work for me everytime
2) try neek2o and neek. Again, ModMii can help you build either version, default is neek2o, to switch to neek just disable the neek2o option
3) in between testing different setups, be sure to delete any config\cache files (typically saved to the "sneek" folder)
4) make a backup of your emulated nand before booting it once (ie. when it's in the state when you are able to load it), then after when it starts failing compare the emunands to see what's changed.
5) keep your emunand minimal, at least until you are able to consistently boot into it. So no priiloader, no cIOSs, no themes, etc. After you are able to boot into it consistently you can add things to it if you feel the need (ModMii's emulated nand modifier can help you with that too)

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used /import
/meta
/shared1
/shared2
/sys
/ticket
/title
/tmp

and the same folders but /nand/*folder* . Only one nand, I've extracted my own nand dump and made one with modmii (even used my serial number for the settings.txt) and whatever rev gets installed with the 0.7a installer. Thanks for the suggestions XFlak, I'm gonna try all that right now. And I've only been trying sneek (haven't messed with the di stuff yet because in the past, that always made things more complicated)

edit: here's a screenshot of crediar's nandcheck. If it means anything to anybody. http://tinypic.com/r/3462se8/5 that's with my showmiiwads bootmii dump.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
ok use modmii and download the system menu you want and the ios for it

then open emunand with showmiiwads and delete the system menu and the ios for it from emu nand then install the .wads from modmii
Is that a necessary step, or are you just trying to save him space?

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright scooby, that slightly helped, now the system menu check is okay, but ios70 is still reporting a wrong size, maybe it's expecting a lower rev? (file sizes do differ slightly each rev.) So I'll try smaller and smaller revs for now.

edit: only 6687 or a stub. I don't see how the size would be incorrect in that case.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I hav heared issues before with a sneek setup only booting the first time. This was due to the channelcache.bin that was created.
Once it was created, things wouldn't work anymore. I think the name of that file has changed in the latest neek revisions.
neek2o stores the file in a sneekcache subfolder of the nand folder, as it's nand specific.
So, if your nand is on the root, the sneekcache folder will be on the root as well.
So, try renaming that file and see if it makes a difference.

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys, progress. After repeated blinking using the modmii made nand, I finally got to the system setup. It blinked when using the neek2o channel, but, I tried using nboot, and now it's at least booted to the console setup, I'll keep you guys updated.

edit:Thanks so much everybody, works perfectly fine using nboot :D (So far have it on sd, no di) I've quit and went back in multiple times now. Now, any idea why the channel wouldn't work and nboot.dol would?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I assume you launch nboot from the homebrew channel? This would mean it uses ios58. It also means it has usb 2.0 for the harddisk.
The channel might be running on the system menu ios. (60 or 70 or 80) Maybe your harddisk is having issues to make the switch from usb 1.1 to usb 2.0 when it's reinitialised to run sneek.

But wait, you say you use sneek? That should work without harddisk.
The channel was mostly tested with uneek2o loading kernel.bin from the harddisk.

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm moving around some partitions, I'll try to set up uneek, and change what ios the channel requests to 58 if it doesn't work right away.

kyle007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God, my issues just won't stop haha I did end up getting uneek running. But, weird part, my sneek nand and iso's still work, heck, I even added ripped another disc. Everything still works, except, in windows 7, vista, xp and ubuntu, they all report it as needing to be formatted before I can use it. chkdsk says fat32 (I ran it with /r) still, same thing. Tried changing the drive letter, same thing. Wii backup manager also says unknown filesystem. EASEUS says fat32. I'm at a loss, any way I can just recover my games before I reformat? (I just ripped 80 discs recently, don't really want to do it again)

edit: no issues, fixed it. the boot sector was bad, and the FAT needed to be rebuilt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night