Smealum's DawnSeekers

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by DrOctapu, Apr 5, 2009.

?

do you want me to post it and are you excited?

1. I am excited and want the demo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am excited and do not want the demo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am not excited and want the demo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am not excited and do not want the demo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. what's dawnseekers and who is smealum?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Apr 5, 2009

Smealum's DawnSeekers by DrOctapu at 2:32 AM (1,614 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. DrOctapu
    OP

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Anyone else excited for smealum's new fps? I am!

Anyway, I found a way to get a lighting demo and several others... but I don't know if I should post it or not because Smealum probably doesn't want anyone playing it yet. Anyone want me to post the link?

2. Briankealing

Member Briankealing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Help an ignorant soul...

3. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wasn't aware of him either. However, I did some a little research and his game looks decent at least: http://smealum.net/ (site is in a foreign language though... French perhaps?)

4. DrOctapu
    OP

United States
  5. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    That wasn't very difficult. I went from having no idea who this was or what that game is to finding the demos you mention in the first post.

6. DrOctapu
    OP

United States
  7. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    Well, that's surprising, i don't recall uploading a demo... But by following the link, i can see that these demos are really outdated and buggy; "demo_FPS_lights.rar" seems to be the most recent one, but it still dates way back from august 2008, the engine has improved a LOT since then. [​IMG] That's the version used in the youtube video I made at the time :

So there really is no reason why you can't distribute the demo if I have uploaded it, just don't expect much from it (there are a LOT of bugs, in this demo pretty much everything is hard coded, it was only meant to be something to see what was possible on the DS, rather than an actually usable engine). The game's changed a lot since then, Lobo started making some original GFX and I'm working on the engine; right now, it looks more like this :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

(tons of mostly outdated screenshots right here : http://smealum.net/dawnseekers/WIP/ )

But it's still WIP, and I haven't worked on the game for the last 3 months, and I've been encountering tons of problems, so don't expect a release anytime soon... But thanks for being interested in my project. [​IMG] (and thanks for boosting my devblog's stats [​IMG])

8. Seaniam

Newcomer Seaniam Member

Australia
    your screens look mad dude, dont stop coding hey! Bring it on...homebrew FPS of this quality can only be a winner! There's very few homebrew FPS games, let along worthy comercial titles to play... so im excited for it. One day!

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    this looks amazing. the demo is awesome and if smealum says its better now... wow. Smealum, any ETA on the finished game, or an updated demo. Dont want to rush you obviously, just curious...

10. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    As for an ETA, I really don't know. I'm hoping it'll be done by the end of summer, but I really can't be sure. I've been encountering a lot of technical issues which aren't easy to overcome, and the fact that I haven't worked that much on the game for the past 3 months surely doesn't help. I'm getting back to it though, so who knows... [​IMG]
    I don't think I'll be posting another demo... I'm still not sure why this one is on my website, since it was supposed to remain private; I really never had any intention of releasing it. [​IMG]

11. cosmiccow

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    wow. that looks like moon. good work man!