Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setup

First off, download the emulator pack here. Pass is "acesmother". File is "urzasmash.rar".

Now we must make sure the correct plugins are selected. Run mupen64pp.exe

Mupen64Beta01312.png

Go to Options -> Settings (or hit Ctrl + S). The first screen you're presented with is for plugins. Make sure you have the same plugins selected as in the below screenshot.

Settings.png

Next click the Directories tab. Click the Add buttons, and select the directory where Super Smash Bros. (U) [!] is located.

Settings2.png

After that, it should appear in Mupen's main window. Double click it to make sure it runs correctly. Don't try to play it, your controls aren't setup yet!

Mupen64Beta013122.png

Lets head back to Options -> Settings (Ctrl+S), and click Configure under the input plugin. I've found that this setup works best for the keyboard, but you can of course choose whatever keys you want (or use a gamepad).

ConfigureInput.png

For those who haven't played the game (or are just rusty), the controls are like this:

A - Normal attack

B - Special attack

Analogue - Movement and jumping

C-Buttons - Can be used for jumping (I just use them to change character color)

Z - Shield/dodge roll

R - Grab/shield/dodge roll (slower for shielding than Z)

L - Taunt/release Kirby power

Start - Menu selection/pausing in-game

Now that you have everything setup, spend a few minutes getting used to the controls before moving on to Connecting.

Connecting

Mupen64++ uses Kaillera servers for online play. Basically, the process consists of finding a server where all players have minimum ping, one of you hosting the game on that server, then everyone else connects.

Open up the KailleraClient from Utilities -> KailleraClient (NetPlay). Enter a username (preferably your GBAtemp username so we know whos who), and make sure Connection type is ALWAYS set to "Good".

KailleraClientv09.png

The Recent tab is what you're going to use the most. All servers is an inefficient way to find the best server. We'll use the list located here.

You can generally guess which will be best by choosing a server thats roughly located in between all the players. To connect to the a server, click Enter IP... and enter the ENTIRE address from the list.

EnterServerIPaddress-1.png

Any server you connect to will be added to the Recent tab in the KailleraClient, listed in order from last time you connected. Here find your name on the userlist to the right, and check how much ping you have. Two person matches should be fine as long as both people have under 120 ping, but you'll need much less for 3-4 people.

Kaillerav0968onlineusers.png

One person must click Create new game and select Smash Bros [!] from the list. Everyone else must select his game from the Current Games list, and click Join.

Kaillerav09699034142788868onlineuse.png

Once everyone has joined, the host just clicks start and you'll hopefully have a semi-lagfree (no offense lagman) game.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Great tutorial Urza, continue your great work. Didn't even know this was possible, but you discover new things everyday, right?
tongue.gif

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw you should use the plugins from PJ64 as they are the best so far (if thats not what you have selected). I'm not to sure if Mupen is packed with them though.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw you should use the plugins from PJ64 as they are the best so far (if thats not what you have selected). I'm not to sure if Mupen is packed with them though.
Glide64 is technically the "best" video plugin, but it doesn't work well with all graphics cards. Rice beta is second best, but has much better compatibility.

FrEEz902

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
PFFFF

Why do i always get an error message when i FINALLY MANAGE TO CONNECT TO A SERVER!?!!?
hate2.gif

It either gets stuck on 'connecting' or, when it finally says 'connected. logging in', promptly after an error message.

Does this have anything to do with 64-bit windows? Because if it does i'll eat someone :|

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A lot of people use pj64k instead of mupen.

I personally use pj64k with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 video drivers which were grabbed from project 64 1.6. This gives me the best looking image with a few, but very minor flaws. I remember using Rice's video plugin, but i found them to be to be too laggy.

To use Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 drivers i simply copy them from project 64 1.6 (found in plugins folder) and paste it in pj64k's plugin folder. Then finally renaming that file to 'Jabo_Direct3D7.dll'.

Edit: FrEEz902: You're probably selecting a dead server even though it's listed on the kaillera list. Try sorting out the servers with 'Ping' and select the lowest ones with players in them of course.

FrEEz902

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
A lot of people use pj64k instead of mupen.

I personally use pj64k with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 video drivers which were grabbed from project 64 1.6. This gives me the best looking image with a few, but very minor flaws. I remember using Rice's video plugin, but i found them to be to be too laggy.

To use Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 drivers i simply copy them from project 64 1.6 (found in plugins folder) and paste it in pj64k's plugin folder. Then finally renaming that file to 'Jabo_Direct3D7.dll'.

Edit: FrEEz902: You're probably selecting a dead server even though it's listed on the kaillera list. Try sorting out the servers with 'Ping' and select the lowest ones with players in them of course.

Now i only use one server (The UK Emulinker one). THe only problem is, when i try to connect to it on windows XP 64-bit (which is what i'm currently using), the whole thing crashes and gives me an error message. ALWAYS. It connects, then boom, error message ._. No offense, but i'm not stupid to not know what ping is. I connected to it before on another computer (a crappy one but with 32-bit windows), But it had amazing lagg ._. How low must the latency be for the framerate to be at least 20?

Also, when you open Kaillera for netplay in P64k, the plugin automatically reverts to Jabo's Direct3D6 (or 7) 1.4. I tried being a smartass and deleting the old plugins, then telling the damn thing to connect with Jabo's 1.6, but then it said that the plugin is invalid
sleep.gif

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been so bored the past few days, I decided to play this again after a year on my computer. If anyone wants to play me, give m a pm or something.
smile.gif
I'm a Yoshi main.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh wow, great tutorial, this reminds me of when i used to play SNES games online like this with zbattle with my friend but one day they decided not to play anymore
frown.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll try setting this up, but I dunno if it'll work well under WINE or not. And even then it might not run well, when I tried playing it offline on XP it was lagmania. PCLOS is >9000 times faster than XP on this computer though so it might work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0