Slim PS2 not reading disks

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by BORTZ, Jan 14, 2010.

Jan 14, 2010

Slim PS2 not reading disks by BORTZ at 2:18 AM (1,969 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. BORTZ
    OP

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    This ps2 is a slim. terrible invention.

Anyway, its making clicking/ticking (something along those lines) noises when i put a disk in.
    The disk is spinning, i made sure of that. Im not sure if the lens is moving or not.

Any ideas?

2. justinefremlouw

Member justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the laser is going bad ^^

3. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Not necessarily, without hearing it myself, i can't tell if it's not the laser not moving. I had it several times on fat ps2s that the laser wasn't moved, thus no success on reading discs. Opening the playstation and bending the little plastic thingy that connects the laser to the (don't know the word, that what actually moves the laser) helped. Sorry for my unprecise english.

4. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Ribbon cable?

5. WiiPower

Germany
    Nope. The plastic that connects the laser to the shaft(?) that round thing where the platic connects to to move the laser around. I don't know if there's something similar in a slim, but i think so. If the plastic is not connected corretly anymore, the playstation stops reading any discs, and you only hear noise from the drive.

6. BORTZ
    OP

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    shit thats what im not hoping for.

At Wiipower, You english is fine. I may have to crack this one open too huh?
    So your saying to slightly bend the piece that connects to the lazer? ill have to give that a try.
    is it possible that the gears are off? or are there no gears to speak of in a Slim Ps2?

7. WiiPower

Germany
    http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/6.jpg

Ahead of the screw driver, do you see the shaft(?), the round thing with the motor? On a fat ps2 there's that white plastic thing that looses the grip sometimes. I don't have much time right now, so i can't search a slim picture for you.

8. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Yes the clicking sound is your WORM drive slipping on the laser guide if its plastic you will need to use a Lighter to heat it to bend it easy, if its metal just bend it down and its done.
    Clean the lens as well when you finish small circles not hard with ear cleaner