Skype Client Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Dangy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dangy
    OP

Dangy GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    I'm so sick of Skype, it's full of ads and stuff I don't need. Unfortunately, it's what most of my friends use. Is there a light/lite version of Skype that I will hardly notice running in the background, but still has Video Call/Chat features?

1 person likes this.
  2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Everything using the current version of skype's protocol needs to leech off of the skype client itself, you can see how the pidgin plugin handles for you (I only use it for text, I fure up the actual client to do voice/video).
    http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/
    And read the "important update" thing here.
    http://eion.robbmob.com/
    And since Skype really doesn't want you to do this (they love their ads), it'll bug you every damned time you start it up because it refuses to actually add pidgin to the "allowed" list of programs to leech off of it... I ended up having to edit the fucking config files manually, but forgot what was involved.

Otherwise you could try running the linux version (which is ass-old) in a VM or something.

3. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    Skype has ads? :wtf:

4. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    OoVoo - http://www.oovoo.com/home.aspx - tried to use this when it was a startup, and it was nice, but i can't remember why me and my ex decided to go back to Skype.
    Oh, Oovoo also did "group video chat" before Skype did.

Google chat/voice/video - I used this with a friend who refused to get skype but at the time it was browser-based, i don't know about now. It's had video features for at least a year now.

there used to be a light version (or rather, old but still working version) of Skype but i don't know if it works anymore. I've wanted a working, ideally first-party "light version" ever since they merely announced integrating facebook, I protested it, but eventually just lived with it and made sure to simply avoid that feature.

5. coolness

coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Banned
    Jun 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Rotterdam Bitches!!
    i use Gtalk as my alternate :D
    since i dont have Windows live on my mini laptop with Linux ubuntu

6. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    yeah, google talk, that's what i meant about the Google Chat/Voice/Video thing XD
    Worked great, free, but it looks like the PC software client for google talk doesn't support Video calls still

7. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Imoriata
    Trillian(5.1 Beta, anyway) has native skype support. It's not the best, but it makes skype much, much nicer to use.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    Trillian natively supports Skype now. You don't even have to open Skype. It works great, too.

9. sanoblue

sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    North Carolina
    but its only the voice chat no?

10. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    Dozens, and they even removed their games and stuff and now turned to apps like apple... It's pretty lame now..

As for alternatives, I don't use Skype that often and I'm too lazy to use something else, although I find the new Skype really annoying. =S

11. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Nowadays I use Teamspeak more them skype with my friends...

...but I will take a look on this Trillian