Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangy

OP Dangy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm so sick of Skype, it's full of ads and stuff I don't need. Unfortunately, it's what most of my friends use. Is there a light/lite version of Skype that I will hardly notice running in the background, but still has Video Call/Chat features?

1 person likes this.
  2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Everything using the current version of skype's protocol needs to leech off of the skype client itself, you can see how the pidgin plugin handles for you (I only use it for text, I fure up the actual client to do voice/video).
    http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/
    And read the "important update" thing here.
    http://eion.robbmob.com/
    And since Skype really doesn't want you to do this (they love their ads), it'll bug you every damned time you start it up because it refuses to actually add pidgin to the "allowed" list of programs to leech off of it... I ended up having to edit the fucking config files manually, but forgot what was involved.

Otherwise you could try running the linux version (which is ass-old) in a VM or something.

3. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Skype has ads? :wtf:

4. exangel

exangel executioner angel

United States
    OoVoo - http://www.oovoo.com/home.aspx - tried to use this when it was a startup, and it was nice, but i can't remember why me and my ex decided to go back to Skype.
    Oh, Oovoo also did "group video chat" before Skype did.

Google chat/voice/video - I used this with a friend who refused to get skype but at the time it was browser-based, i don't know about now. It's had video features for at least a year now.

there used to be a light version (or rather, old but still working version) of Skype but i don't know if it works anymore. I've wanted a working, ideally first-party "light version" ever since they merely announced integrating facebook, I protested it, but eventually just lived with it and made sure to simply avoid that feature.

5. coolness

coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
    Banned

Netherlands
    i use Gtalk as my alternate :D
    since i dont have Windows live on my mini laptop with Linux ubuntu

6. exangel

exangel executioner angel

United States
    yeah, google talk, that's what i meant about the Google Chat/Voice/Video thing XD
    Worked great, free, but it looks like the PC software client for google talk doesn't support Video calls still

7. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Trillian(5.1 Beta, anyway) has native skype support. It's not the best, but it makes skype much, much nicer to use.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Target... Illumiati... All conected...

United States
    Trillian natively supports Skype now. You don't even have to open Skype. It works great, too.

9. sanoblue

sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    but its only the voice chat no?

10. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Dozens, and they even removed their games and stuff and now turned to apps like apple... It's pretty lame now..

As for alternatives, I don't use Skype that often and I'm too lazy to use something else, although I find the new Skype really annoying. =S

11. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    Nowadays I use Teamspeak more them skype with my friends...

...but I will take a look on this Trillian

12. grabdexter
    This message by grabdexter has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jun 27, 2020.
    Jun 24, 2020
  13. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Germany
    Congrats for bumping a nearly 10 year old thread. :P
    I think today most people in the gaming scene should use Discord. It has nearly anything that Skype and TeamSpeak had, but way better.

14. Physix

Physix Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    You can also use the web verson of skype at web(.)skype(.)com if you don't want to install the client.

15. IsaOfTheWorlds
    This message by IsaOfTheWorlds has been removed from public view by Joe88, Jun 27, 2020, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Jun 26, 2020

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Alternatives, Client, Skype

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.