Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Wii/3DS Footage

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Aug 3, 2011.

Aug 3, 2011
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    Activision is working on a half reboot, half spinoff to the Spyro the Dragon franchise. After the Legend of Spyro series, the franchise appears to be taking a huge departure in terms of gameplay. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure gives Spyro a complete physical makeover along with new comrades, gameplay, abilities, and plot. The game is being developed cross platform for PS3, 360, PC, Wii, and 3DS and is published by Activision. The game is unique for the way it handles playable characters. While it is a video game, the game comes with a physical platform which connects to the console. You can place figurines (which you purchase in store) on the platform and send that particular character into the game. This is how you unlock new characters to play as (sort of a form of physical DLC you could say). The statues will not only function as unlockable characters, but the game will store your characters' stats inside the statue itself (via some sort of internal media built into the figures themselves). So you can level up your characters and store the data inside the model. This makes it possible to transfer the character and its stats to other systems and other players' games. The figures themselves will function with any version of the game on any system. For example, the character being played as in the Wii version can transfer to the 3DS version with its stats intact. Today, we got the first glimpses of the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo 3DS versions in video form. I'll also provide some notes within the spoiler tags as well. [/p]
    Nintendo Wii version video
    Nintendo 3DS version video
    [​IMG] Source

2. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Uhhh.... Where do I start to explain this one?

3. granville
    OP

United States
    I wouldn't have minded any sort of redesigns as long as the game was decent. But this is really bland looking (sorry, i wanted to keep any opinions out of the article, so i'll post it here). The game looks like a more boring version of gauntlet. And the toy system is a really pathetic way of getting kids to spend more money on it.

Not to mention, the 3DS version will be something like $60 (you pay extra for the portal and your figure starter kit). I seriously doubt the game will be at all worth that.

4. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Spyro looks horrible.

Also the gameplay doesn't look that good to me either.

5. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    Now that you mention it? It does kind of remind me of gauntlet... Speaking of which, I'd love to see a reboot of the arcade version... Not seven sorrows, mind you. I love platformers and adventure games, this also reminds me a bit of Vexx. So, I don't know.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    spyro died when insomniac sold it off

7. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    The game looks sweet for 3DS. The graphics aren't the greatest, but I freaking want it!

8. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I looks decent and seems fun.

There's so many people tagging it as a bad game because it's not the Spyro they love.

9. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I never really liked Spyro in the first place, but this looks especially bad.

10. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm mostly judging it based on the gameplay, not due to prior experience with Spyro. Sure the original Spyro is awesome, but this one doesn't even look that great based on its own merits. My immediate impression of the console version was that it looked like a Gauntlet clone (though less hectic and easier). It doesn't look too bad, but i figure it'll be overpriced based on the toy figurine system they've got going on. The 3DS being $60 is ridiculously (which is for the portal and a character starter kit).

It's odd, i'm more interested in the 3DS version. It's not all that pretty, but the game looks a bit funner to play. Of course i'm a sucker for 3D platformers, so whatever. I won't pass judgement until i have a go with any version. I might try out the PC version or something.

11. LegendarySkitch

Newcomer LegendarySkitch Advanced Member

United States
    The gameplay looks kinda fun but the banner at the top of the article makes me yell KILL IT at what I'm assuming is supposed to be Spyro

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    WOW. I want a Crash Bandicoot game. Not another Spyro game. Let the series rest in peace. It ended on a very good note.

13. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Swap Crash Bandicoot with Spyro and that post would make the exact same amount of sense.

14. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    The game looks pretty fun, But the price is ridiculous...
    I'd buy it for 30-40 bucks, not for 60....

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    what a snorefest, and in both videos there is no spyro, so why is spyro in the main title then? it's like the game Rayman Raving Rabbids, there is only rabbits but rayman is nowhere to be found!

16. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I want more games like this. NOW.

17. ZaeZae64

Member ZaeZae64 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think I threw up a bit at the sight of this.

18. dmace81

Member dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They better have a shitload of toy characters for this like 100 or more would be nice... Probably be more like 10.

19. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Are toys enough to add the $10 more? Are the toys just in the way of a possible good game? [​IMG]

20. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    The toys better be good, or made out of gold lol