Hacking Sky3DS urgent help!

Shadicluigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using a Sky3DS for the past few days and have had no problems, however today, I've downloaded Super Smash Bros. (EUR) 2GB and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (EUR) 1GB.
Attempting to add Professor Layton works and loads fine on the 3DS, but apparently wasting all of the 8 gigabytes of free space on the SD (16GB MicroSD). Adding Smash works without wasting all of the free space but inserting it into the 3DS deletes Smash entirely and all of the free space is kaput! *poof*
Could you guys please help? Also pressing the button to cycle to Smash doesn't load the files and stays on the previous game.

This is the diskwriter after putting in Smash and inserting into the 3DS.
mlYGssG.png

Last edited by Shadicluigi,

Shadicluigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What Micro SD are u using and which "adapter" ?
A generic one, it worked fine.
I tried using both an SD card to Micro SD and a USB adapter, same results.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did u delete some games in the list before?
the space won't be free again, unless the game u deleted is the last one
I tried that, that's how I got Smash in!
I suggest u backup all game profiles, and format w/ diskwritter.
then re-burn the game into the tf card
Backing up the games removed them all! the backup is only 259MB and contains a corrupted version of a game.

I'm gonna format the SD and rewrite all the games again, I kept them downloaded, wish me luck! ;)

D

Deleted-19228

Well it works fine so... :rofl2:
The only other SD I own is Kingston so this was a last resort.

"Backing up the games removed them all! the backup is only 259MB and contains a corrupted version of a game."

It doesn't work fine.

D

Deleted-19228

Everything you described from post #1 and up indicates you are using a fake flash SD.

Last edited by ,

LittleRod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Oh, thanks! So that's why my SD shows as 14.6GB total.
A 16GB mSD should show 14.6GB Total. You should run H2TEST and see if the memory you bought is legit.

I should probably get a new one, can you recommend a brand?

Samsung and Sandisk.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should probably get a new one, can you recommend a brand?

No, your card shows as 14.6 GB because of the discrepancies in the way manufacturers report storage capacity and the way devices read that capacity.

Manufacturers calculate storage capacity using a decimal (base-10) system, so that "16GB" card has 16*10^9 (or 16,000,000,000) Bytes.

Computers and other devices read storage capacity using a binary (base-2) system, so 16GB is read as 16*2^30 (or 17,179,869,184) Bytes.

This discrepancy causes a "16GB" device that actually only has 16 billion bytes of space to show up as somewhat less than 16GB when placed in a device.

In reality your card SHOULD show up as ~14.8 GB when in your computer. The reason it shows up as 14.6 could be any number of things, including it being a fake card. Personally I think this is unlikely as fake cards are most often smaller cards that are altered to report as a larger one (8 GB cards reading as 64, or 16GB as 128), and any attempt to format it would make it show up as the the misreported size unless you use a specialized tool that allows you to set a capacity when formatting.

From what you have reported, I think it is far more likely that you have either a defective card that is corrupting the data written to it, or a card that is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

As for what brand to get to avoid fakes, that doesn't matter. To avoid fake cards you need to buy from a reputable vendor. You are magnitudes less likely to get a fake sd card when you buy from a large physical retailer or well known online vendor. Avoid places like ebay for purchasing storage media. Stick to either buying it from a walk in store like Walmart or Bestbuy, or from retailers like Newegg or Amazon (make sure the item is being sold BY the retailer you are ordering from and not from a third-party seller). Alternately you can just order directly from the company in question (Samsung, Sandisk, Kingston, etc) though most direct you to a retailer.

Unfortunately, people like to throw around the term "fake card" as a buzzword for any card that doesn't perform up to specs. 90% of "fake" cards are just defective cards that made it trough QA or cards from manufacturers that use lower quality components and QA checking. As a general rule Sandisk and Samsung tend to make higher quality products than others, though in my experience PNY and Kingston are fairly reliable as well.

A 16GB mSD should show 14.6GB Total. You should run H2TEST and see if the memory you bought is legit.

I think your math is off. 16GB labeled media should report as ~14.8GB. I personally checked three 16GB cards (two micro and one SD) and a 16GB USB stick. One micro reported 14.83 GB according to my phone, where it is currently used, the other micro and the regular SD reported 14.8 to my computer. Both ones tested in the computer reported the exact same capacity in bytes and a quick conversion to GB came back at 14.829 GB, so all three likely report the same byte capacity and my phone just reports an extra degree of accuracy. The USB stick reported 14.9GB.

It might be worth noting that all 4 devices checked are Sandisk so it COULD be possible that OPs Transcend actually only has ~15,670,000,000 bytes, but personally I think it is more likely that it is decaying and/or defective.

Either way OP should definitely test his SD card to make sure that it is not defective.

Reactions: LittleRod

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
A fake SD works by only having, say, 2-8GB of 'real' space and then using your computer to store the rest. It tricks your computer into seeing the right amount of space. If you fill up the card, the remaining data is stored on your computer. If you try to read it again with your computer, it might be fine. However if you take out the card and try to use it somewhere else it will show as corrupted (if part of the file is saved on the card and the rest on the computer) or not there at all (if all of it saved on the computer).

To test, you need to get h2testw. Backup any contents and then tell it to write & verify (this will overwrite anything on the card). It will take a long time, maybe a few hours. Let it completely finish. It will tell you if any part of the memory isn't truly there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol