Hacking Sky3DS DiskWriter V1.06 "Optimiser"-Function, what is This ?

Frederik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, before doing something wrong I want to know what happens when I use this function. Can anybody help me ?

xBlackAce

Trophies
XP
Country
I used that option: optimiser and it copied all the backups into my computer in an only archive called: "3ds games security backup"
I did it because it said that I hadn't enough space, but I had. Now I have all my games in my sky3ds but only one game have the information saved and I have 10 games :''''( I have to know how to get it back to my sky3ds!!!!!! Pleaseeeeeeee

xBlackAce

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried it but they didn't work that's because I

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd already tried it and that was because I know that it doesn't work

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a an archive with all the gamers which is a .bkg

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This option will copy all games to pc, with saves, then format the microsd card and rewrite the games back. That optimises the game data because there will be no gaps and no defragmentation.

Restore it as backup with diskwriter. Format your card and restore.

Well thats completely useless because the sd/micro sd card is using Flash Memory, yes flash memory can get fragmented but its not a performance loss like it was 10 years ago with physical drives.

Flash memory also barely gets and fragmentation on its blocks.

Also finally you are literally not writing to the sd card at all so this is less of an issue. You copy the games over and they get read from the card they are never getting moved or written too since. Only writes going to the card afterwards are saves and other data.

Aka this feature is useless dont even use it.

You would think they'd be smart and make the optimizer function a rom trim option like on the old DS

Last edited by izy,

Hopeful Death

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's for when you say, remove a game in the middle of the game list and want to add another one. If you don't optimize you'll have less space available because of the way Disk Writer handles space. From what I can tell, it needs the data to all be clumped together in one consecutive space so if you erase a 2 GB game(when it's not the last game on the list) and then add a 3 GB game, the 3 GB game doesn't actually take up any of the space that the 2 GB game used, that space gets ignored. If you want that space back to actually use, you'll have to remove all the games and add them all back.

But manually adding all the games back one by one while backing up save data is a pain in the ass so that's seemingly why the optimize feature exists. It automatically does all that for you. If you're just adding games for the first time, you don't need to bother with it since there shouldn't be any gaps in normal circumstances.

Last edited by Hopeful Death,
Reactions: xrM and Quantumcat

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's for when you say, remove a game in the middle of the game list and want to add another one. If you don't optimize you'll have less space available because of the way Disk Writer handles space. From what I can tell, it needs the data to all be clumped together in one consecutive space so if you erase a 2 GB game(when it's not the last game on the list) and then add a 3 GB game, the 3 GB game doesn't actually take up any of the space that the 2 GB game used, that space gets ignored. If you want that space back to actually use, you'll have to remove all the games and add them all back.

But manually adding all the games back one by one while backing up save data is a pain in the ass so that's seemingly why the optimize feature exists. It automatically does all that for you. If you're just adding games for the first time, you don't need to bother with it since there shouldn't be any gaps in normal circumstances.

Well thats the height of stupid coding then, they should have fixed that before release. you would also think that it would know where the blank space is in the block list from deleted games.

Then they could just have an option instead to backup all the games after the deleted game and then install them from where the free space started this would greatly shorten time depending on where the game was in the list

WallK

Get off my lawn
Trophies
XP
Country
Well thats the height of stupid coding then, they should have fixed that before release. you would also think that it would know where the blank space is in the block list from deleted games.

Then they could just have an option instead to backup all the games after the deleted game and then install them from where the free space started this would greatly shorten time depending on where the game was in the list
I think that was made because of the way hardware works. Sky3ds requires continuous rom that can be read byte after byte, just like the real cart.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...