Tutorial  Updated

Simple tutorial - SD card image backup [OSX/MAC]

This is a simple tutorial for how to backup your SD to an image file for
future restores.

This can be useful if you are upgrading too higher capacity storage medium i.e 16gb>32gb>64gb>128gb but it won't work from higher capacity to lower.

I know this may be obvious for alot but for those that don't know, hopefully it be useful.

This will backup your emuNAND. I am using an 16GB SD card for my backup.

- Download ApplePi-Maker from
http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

- Launch the App and it will ask you for 'admin password' before proceeding further, enter your password and then choose your SD from the list on the left. *See screenshot for reference*
jfCSuXF.png

- Next click on 'create backup' and it ask you for location to save the .img file, once you named your file and clicked next, sit back and get a drink this can take up to 15mins depending on the size of your SD card. *See screenshot for reference*
0bnHfNI.png

- Once its complete you should get a .img file which is an 1-1 image backup off your SD which contains all your partitions (emuNAND) and files. *See screenshot for reference*
t1AcK0R.png

Like with your NAND.bin, keep this file safe and use it if you mess up and back to start from a working SD card.

Enjoy.

Last edited by memz5k,

FM360

Kappa
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
This is a simple tutorial for how to backup your SD to an image file for future restores.
I know this may be obvious for alot but for those that don't know, hopefully it be useful.

This will backup your emuNAND. I am using an 16GB SD card for my backup.

- Download ApplePi-Maker from
http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

- Launch the App and it will ask you for 'admin password' before proceeding further, enter your password and then choose your SD from the list on the left. *See screenshot for reference*
jfCSuXF.png

- Next click on 'create backup' and it ask you for location to save the .img file, once you named your file and clicked next, sit back and get a drink this can take up to 15mins depending on the size of your SD card. *See screenshot for reference*
0bnHfNI.png

- Once its complete you should get a .img file which is an 1-1 image backup off your SD which contains all your partitions (emuNAND) and files. *See screenshot for reference*
t1AcK0R.png

Like with your NAND.bin, keep this file safe and use it if you mess up and back to start from a working SD card.

Enjoy.
Can't you also use Disk Utility to back up the emunand? ApplePi-Baker isn't really meant to backup SD cards into img files for normal use.

memz5k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can this be used to change for a bigger sd card? ie. from a 32gb to a 64gb?
Yes you can.

Can't you also use Disk Utility to back up the emunand? ApplePi-Baker isn't really meant to backup SD cards into img files for normal use.
ApplePi-Baker just uses the built-in DD OSX commands. This is just got a gui to make it simple

Example, after unmounting sd-card.
sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=sdcard2016.img.dd bs=512

Last edited by memz5k,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it