Silly question about HDD

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by DiegoL92, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DiegoL92
    OP

DiegoL92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    Brazil
    Hello again.
    So with the help of you guys i was able to mod the Wii U, install games, updates, DLCs, Haxchi (not in boot).
    And i also disabled the HDD hidden option.

But can you guys check something for me?
    Everytime i go in CFW mode, if i enter System Settings and go to the data storage section to see what updates i still need to install. Everytime i go back to Wii U main menu, my HDD disconnects.
    I using a Y cable and it SEEMS that in games is ok. Only in the especific case above.

I know is a dumb thing, but i want to know if this happen to you guys too.

OBS: this only happens if i enable CFW. If i go to Data Storage before entering Haxchi the HDD stays On when i go back.

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that doesn't happen to me. I just recently went to delete the fake signed crunchy roll to get the one with a legit ticket, and the hdd stayed connected. I'm also using two or three extension cables since my hdd is at the other end of my entertainment center. one of those is a toggle switch cable, and a y cable is connected to that, so I'd expect issues with my setup, but I've encountered none.

DiegoL92 likes this.
  3. DiegoL92
    OP

DiegoL92 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    Brazil
    You think it can be a problem with my HDD or lack of power?
    I using a old laptop HDD that i put in a case.

I read that some people "fixed" HDD issues pluging the HDD into a phone charger with the Y cable. But it this not dangerous?

4. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    I gave up on using portable hard drives with Y-Cable, they are too fiddly. I used an old desktop externally-powered drive and that works perfectly now. Maybe you can find one cheap?

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    never heard of that method before. I suppose it's possible your hdd isn't receiving enough power, but it sounds like something else is wrong with the hdd if it crashes by going into system settings.