Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I still look out for the odds taking place of that happening tho. I am one of those kinds of people who worry a lot and think the worst case scenarios will happen almost all the time. :/
If you're worried, stock up on some 3DS while they're still hackable. I don't think they'll actively attack it, but they are certainly attacking homebrew and making hacking harder on newer firmware. If you wait to update, you should be fine.

Unless Switch hacking takes off and the devs all switch to the Switch hacking. If that happens, Nintendo would be too busy worrying about the Switch to care too much about the 3DS.

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried, stock up on some 3DS while they're still hackable. I don't think they'll actively attack it, but they are certainly attacking homebrew and making hacking harder on newer firmware. If you wait to update, you should be fine.

Unless Switch hacking takes off and the devs all switch to the Switch hacking. If that happens, Nintendo would be too busy worrying about the Switch to care too much about the 3DS.
Yeah. I always be sure to check if it is ok to update using A9LH & Luma3DS, even though it will most likely will. :P

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for reminding me not to update my Switch once I get it.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIRM protection works by patching out the functions in Process9 that are used to update the FIRM partitions. The functions then return "success" without actually doing anything.

Nintendo could add a second set of FIRM updating functions that aren't detected by Luma's patcher (at least initially), which would then be used to restore FIRM0/FIRM1 to an unhacked state. They'd also have to restore the "secret sector" on New 3DS; otherwise, the system would brick.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FIRM protection works by patching out the functions in Process9 that are used to update the FIRM partitions. The functions then return "success" without actually doing anything.

Nintendo could add a second set of FIRM updating functions that aren't detected by Luma's patcher (at least initially), which would then be used to restore FIRM0/FIRM1 to an unhacked state. They'd also have to restore the "secret sector" on New 3DS; otherwise, the system would brick.

If Nintendo's previous attempts to remove hacks from the Wii is anything to go by - they won't try doing any of that.

After all, their attempt at making the N3DS harder to hack, with a more complicated security system was actually the reason A9LH came about (due to massive oversights in their new "security algorithm"). They'd probably try and remove A9LH but open a backdoor up elsewhere at the same time.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country

I've actually thought about this a while back.
IMO the most effective Nintendo could do would be to remove arm9loader from FIRM in a firmware update, and then wipe the secret sector entirely.
It's not like arm9loader provides any extra security any more and that sort of thing would brick any consoles using a9lh with a CFW that doesn't patch out the secret sector clearing function.

Reactions: Wolfvak

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uh why are you talking of ways that can help nintendo fix a9lh for free? remember they pay their devs turned lapdogs so by speaking of this (and i'm 100% sure they're nintendo employees on here and any other hacking news site for that matter) you're giving those employees free info to kill arm9loader if you'd not say anything they'd have to pay their turncoat devs for the info less money for the big N=up most satisfaction (at least for me)

adrifcastr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
uh why are you talking of ways that can help nintendo fix a9lh for free? remember they pay their devs turned lapdogs so by speaking of this (and i'm 100% sure they're nintendo employees on here and any other hacking news site for that matter) you're giving those employees free info to kill arm9loader if you'd not say anything they'd have to pay their turncoat devs for the info less money for the big N=up most satisfaction (at least for me)
I'ts the obvioust solution, the arm9loader has no actual security pro, its the thing that gave us the oppurtunity to have a low level entrypoint anyway sighax approaching, so if Ninty wants to remove the arm9loader entirely, then go for it guys, have fun removing it.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing that we're saying is an earth-shattering revelation. (Unless you think operating systems are "magic" black boxes that must never be touched by anyone but the super elite...)

Trophies
XP
They are already trying. if they come up with a working method, it will brick nothing, and will probably be legal.

If nintendo bricks a console with their attempt, it will be class action for sure. so they will not put it in until they are SURE.

again anyone who would actually know the truth feel free to chime in.
There is an easy way of Ninchickentendy removing a9lh without bricking anyone; with the update, put a new arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd card, renaming any arm9loaderhax_si.bin and arm9loaderhax.bin files. The Nintendon't arm9loaderhax.bin would remove arm9loaderhax on hacked consoles, while not doing a thing to stock consoles. They wouldn't have any legal trouble since they just renamed a file, not deleting it. To further ward off legal trouble, they could change the previous arm9loaderhax.bin/arm9loaderhax_si.bin files back to what they were in the first place.

They're too stupid to do anything though

Last edited by Deleted member 414991,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an easy way of Ninchickentendy removing a9lh without bricking anyone; with the update, put a new arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd card, renaming any arm9loaderhax_si.bin and arm9loaderhax.bin files. The Nintendon't arm9loaderhax.bin would remove arm9loaderhax on hacked consoles, while not doing a thing to stock consoles. They wouldn't have any legal trouble since they just renamed a file, not deleting it.

They're too stupid to do anything though
Would that affect a ctrnand a9lh.bin? Or do you reckon the SD would be enough?

trainboy2019

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an easy way of Ninchickentendy removing a9lh without bricking anyone; with the update, put a new arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd card, renaming any arm9loaderhax_si.bin and arm9loaderhax.bin files. The Nintendon't arm9loaderhax.bin would remove arm9loaderhax on hacked consoles, while not doing a thing to stock consoles. They wouldn't have any legal trouble since they just renamed a file, not deleting it.
At least from what I understand, arm9loaderhax is an exploit with how nintendo designed the way their system boots. The only way I could think of to prevent it is to prevent any change to the firmware of the device, constantly verify everything and prevent virtually ANY access to the arm9 kernel, even from the arm11 kernel.

Trophies
XP
At least from what I understand, arm9loaderhax is an exploit with how nintendo designed the way their system boots. The only way I could think of to prevent it is to prevent any change to the firmware of the device, constantly verify everything and prevent virtually ANY access to the arm9 kernel, even from the arm11 kernel.
They wouldn't be patching a9lh, that's impossible, they would just be removing it from any systems it is installed on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1