Should using a hack for a different region work for putting on homebrew?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by banjo2, Aug 22, 2016.

1. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 child

May 31, 2016
    United States
    USA
    I have a copy of Medal Of Honor Rising Sun, Medal Of Honor Frontlines, and a copy of Star Wars BattleFront 2 and i'm trying to get homebrew on my phone book size (fat?) PS2. Unfortunately I don't have a network adapter handy for the BF2 hack and I don't want to spend any money on this. I found some forum posts about doing this on Rising Sun and Frontlines, but both say they have only tested it on PAL and i'm afraid something might go wrong.

2. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    Try it, worst thing that can happen it will not work(if you are not editing any crucial files)

3. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 child

May 31, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Thanks. I'll try it.

4. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    It shouldn't hurt and it depends on what you want to use homebrew access for. For standard homebrew I'm sure USB access and using burnt disks will be fine but for things like backup loading I would seriously recommend getting that network adapter and an IDE HDD considering a network adapter is like 5 bucks and the HDD can be 10. If you don't wanna be burning disks then you won't have much success with USB loading(the PS2 only has USB 1.1 ports onboard which are VERY slow for running games and USB loading has spotty compatibility compared to from the network adapter)

5. banjo2
    OP

banjo2 child

May 31, 2016
    United States
    USA
    Thanks for the advice. I would probably keep a burned copy of BF2 because I think my disc is scratched up and the menu videos are slow.

6. DavidRO99

DavidRO99 Average Ryzen user.

Jun 11, 2016
    Korea, North
    your back-door
    Also if this is anything like the Gamecube, disc burning is gonna suuuucckkk