Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Sop, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Should Sop upgrade his PC to Windos 8?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
Jan 12, 2013

Should I upgrade to Windows 8? by Sop at 5:46 AM (487 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Currently running 7 Home Premium on a desktop and thinking about upgrading to 8 Pro, I'd like to hear opinions of those of you who actually have it. I tried the 90-day trial version a while ago and didn't think much of it, but I've been hearing that you like it the more you use it and eventually prefer it over 7 etc.

EDIT: lol windos

2. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not much reason to bother with the effort right now.

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I would suggest sticking with Windows 7. That's just my option though.

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  4. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    I tried it on my laptop which came with win7, I liked it but I lacked a decent video driver so i was forced to switch back. voted yes

5. decemberchild

Newcomer decemberchild latecomer

United States
    I used it back when it was in beta. Yeah, I didn't like the start menu thing. They also took away minesweeper I believe. Those were my only complaints, but I really like the start menu, so I gave up on it. Yeah there are hacks to put it back, but what's the point when Windows 7 works perfectly fine already.

6. drobb

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    you know, i was pretty much against it myself till i threw it on my old laptop a couple weeks ago. i gotta say im changing my mind on it. yeah not having the start button/menu is kinda weird, but as has been stated, there are replacements (pokki being my choice). i kinda like the idea of the tiles, and really wanna use them, especially the live tiles, but with a lack of touchscreen i just boot straight to desktop. one thing i can say is it is a very fast OS compared to 7 imo. this laptop originally shipped with vista, quickly tossed it for 7, and now 8, and it boots faster then ever has. i dunno its really a personal choice.

7. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    For me, no.

But how about you? Do you mind the new UI? Do you prefer the new style, the new layout? Windows 8 is quite a bit different from 7 too, do you want the change? If yes, then do.

In my temporary work place, many people wanted to buy Windows 7. None asked about 8.

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I've said it before, the way I do it with every new OS, is basically create an extra partition on my HDD and install the new OS there while DUAL booting with the older OS.

In this case my laptop dual boots with Windows 7 / Windows 8, and I performed I CLEAN, fresh install ow WIndows 8 on the second partition.
    I never, never directly upgraded to a newer OS overwriting everything on the older one, you might end up with compatibility issues on a few programs, and it would be very difficult to revert the changes ( short of reformatting ) in case you are not happy with the new OS.

Dual boot is perfect, you get to use Windows 8 and see how you like it, at the same time you have access to Windows 7 and all the programs / games you have already installed and perfectly working on it.
    Slowly proceed by installing new games / application on the newer OS and over time, little by little, you' ll find yourself having little to no reason to boot into Windows 7 anymore.......then you can proceed to further shrink the Windows 7 partition, since you mostly will use Windows 8 by now, or completely remove it......

I've been doing this game since XP / Vista days.....;)

9. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    There's actually an improved version of minesweeper available in the app store for free and it's awesome.