Should I update my Bios?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Piluvr, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Piluvr
    OP

Piluvr Resident Masturbator

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind you
    I used to have a extremely slow time with windows 10 on my hp dv7-2273cl notebook (Yeah I know, not the best.) I inherited it from my grandmother who always buys the best and most expensive laptop on the market. Unfortunately, as stated earlier, windows runs Extremely slow, taking about 30 seconds to load the menu for a right click on the desktop. I have the bios f.34,and the newest one is f.45. Should I update my bios to expect better performance? (Another Issue: my battery won't charge past 75%, any suggestions?)

2. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Bios won't affect the performance at all. Only update it if there is a need to. (this doesn't qualify) The battery would need to be replaced.

3. Piluvr
    OP

Piluvr Resident Masturbator

Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind you
    I just updated my BIOS. There is a MASSIVE improvement in performance, surprisingly. Unfortunately, I will need a new battery.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Usually the best way to improve performance on a laptop is to stick a SSD in there.

5. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Id suggest backing it up using macrium reflect free and doing a clean install.

Also, install an ssd.

The 75% limit may be some software to prevent wear on the battery, I know Samsung have this on theirs.

6. Cleo

Cleo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2017
    Might be windows 10 did set your Virutal Memory size to be managed automatically. After i updated to windows 10 that slowed down my laptop alot. Setting the size too the recommended amount helped a lot there.