Hacking Should I update before trying to softmod? (wii 3.1e)

miish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
So I've purchased a fairly old used wii and it's currently version 3.1e, and I've been meaning to softmod it.
From what I've gathered, some games require updates, so I've been wondering if I'm better off updating it to 4.3 before trying to softmod it to avoid any updating problems afterwards?
Are there any differences to softmodding a newer version and the one I currently have? As in, is it easier for me to softmod it right now rather than later?
I'm new as shit at this, and I'm pretty dang confused as far as this whole softmodding business goes. I'd rather get this done smoothly.
Anyway, thanks a bunch in advance!

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really doesn't matter too much, it is easy either way. I'd just do the mod and update while modding.

I'd use ModMii guide. With the GUI version named ModMii Skin, it makes it really easy for a Windows user to create a custom guide for their setup complete with video links. It will include all the updated IOSs for games and working IOSs for all System Menus. I'd only go to 4.1 and as the last 2 didn't add functionality just feeble attempts to stop homebrew. Just be sure to also install Priiloader to block updates no matter which SM you install.

Or use the other guide, just be sure to download the IOS update pack. And be sure to read the parts that tell you to use MMM because WiiMod won't work on 3.1. There is a spoiler box just before the Install Priiloader section that describes how to update to 4.1.

Stay away from any old guide that has you downgrade IOS15 (or any other IOS) or patch IOS36 directly, there are now safer/better ways to complete the softmod. It could also include some other mods that result in a brick after an accidental Official Update by game disc or online.

Both of the guides I mentioned will install a patched IOS36 into IOS236 which is the same thing, only different...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: