Should I play survival horror games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sop, Apr 7, 2011.

Apr 7, 2011
  1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I can watch horror movies but judging from what i've heard about silent hill.. seems scary.

2. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Depends on how you react to horror movies. If you freak out and go like, " I can't sleep" don't watch it. If you can watch them without getting really scared, go ahead and play horror video games. As an introduction to the genre, I recommend that you play Alan Wake.

3. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Well I get kind of scared but not that much.

4. SilentRevolt

Member SilentRevolt GBAtemp Regular

Brunei
    I recommend you to play Fatal Frame,if youre not scared then you will be able to play any horror games that you like.

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Fatal Frame is the pinnacle of video game scare.....if TC's at all worried that isn't the best place to start. However, they are the best survival horror games i've ever played (based on that scare factor) so if you want to really go for it then that series (or Project Zero for Europeans) is the way to go!

6. ihackedit

Member ihackedit GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I absolutely SHAT myself when watching the trailer for Fatal Frame 4 [​IMG]

7. imshortandrad

Member imshortandrad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think you should just try it out. ;D

8. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    lol you can watch horror movies but you find scary games scary? you are just like my partner XD

you may want to try forbidden siren thats a good creepy game, also silent hill is a Psychological horror. which is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_horror

so it's not your basic jump out and go boo scary, it gets you "scared" in a different way [​IMG]

also the 1st resident evil is a jump out and go boo scary even though it has some cheesy parts (barry [​IMG]) the survival horror elements should keep you alert, please god don't play resident evil 5 or 4, they are not survival horrors but action games, they are nothing like the original resident evils.

on top of that if you have watched the saw movies you may want to try the 2 games they are not so bad they are just as gory as the films.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'd say to start off with a game that isn't terribly scary like Resident Evil 4. That's what I did. I played that, then RE5, and eventually my friends got together and played Silent Hill: Shattered Memories followed by Silent Hill 2.

SH2, as I said in the other thread, is scary as fuck at moments but the tension is broken by some camp moments. My main complaint with the game is that while the monsters are initially scary, you get used to them and find them pretty mundane while you're stuck doing lengthy puzzles. This was even a worse case in Shattered Memories since it basically had the same monsters throughout the game (although the underwater car scene was fucking scary, I had nightmares from that).

10. Gameking-4

Member Gameking-4 Demon of the mist

Netherlands
    i'm just like you i think, i watch horror movies and am scared, but not that scared.

i wanted to play horror games, but i thought it would be horrible(see what i did there [​IMG] )

i started with dead space(which is not really a horror but still scary) and built up from there, now i really enjoy them.

11. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Rule of thumb for me is if it starts to really scare me stop playing/watching. Mainly anything psychological gets to me.

12. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Well seeing as survival horrors made me develop kinemortaphobia and ruined the first 3 months of 07 for me...I wouldn't.

But I'm not you. Try them, and if you can't handle them, stop.

13. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Try to avoid American "horror" games and you will find some freaky ass horror games.

14. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Silent hill and F.E.A.R are obviously the more "mainstream" horror games but that's what I'm playing at the moment. I've never been a horror gamer really and full on scares don't really scare me "for example, dead space" but something like a door moving an inch and I'll be on edge like O_O

If you're that kind of person then F.E.A.R is for you [​IMG]

15. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Another great game with some decent fear in it is... F.E.A.R
    Tons of killing clone soldiers + slow motion = fun + scary =epic
    [youtube]IFppxz5owfU[/youtube]

16. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    You're hesitating about it in case you find them too scary?
    Then go ahead and play them. I used to be pretty easy to scare but horror games have built up my resistance to tension and shiz like that.

And for your own good, don't play Amnesia: The Dark Descent until you like the horror genre.

17. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    Isn't that game made by the same people that made Penumbra? damm that game made my shit bricks at some times...

18. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It is. And it's way more scary.

19. CrimzonEyed

Japan
    scary games = adrenaline = ahh feels good

20. SubliminalSegue

Member SubliminalSegue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This.

I haven't found a game that really scares me. I've pretty much seen it all. Fatal Frame 2 came the closest, just the random ghosts in the first house, I really didn't get far.

"Horror" games are a dime a dozen. I love the Silent Hill series, recommend 1-4 (4 is good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise) Resident Evil isn't survival horror, it's survival/action. Maybe the earlier ones were horror, but the recent ones are not.

Another great one that I keep saying is Deadly Premonition. Low budget, but it's a solid game. One of my favorite in recent years.

As far as American "horror" goes, both Dead Spaces are pretty decent. Shock horror and lame pop-outs cause the novelty to wear off fairly early, but the environment is creepy.