Should I play survival horror games

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I can watch horror movies but judging from what i've heard about silent hill.. seems scary.

Z

Zorua

Depends on how you react to horror movies. If you freak out and go like, " I can't sleep" don't watch it. If you can watch them without getting really scared, go ahead and play horror video games. As an introduction to the genre, I recommend that you play Alan Wake.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Zorua said:
Depends on how you react to horror movies. If you freak out and go like, " I can't sleep" don't watch it. If you can watch them without getting really scared, go ahead and play horror video games. As an introduction to the genre, I recommend that you play Alan Wake.
Well I get kind of scared but not that much.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
SilentRevolt said:
I recommend you to play Fatal Frame,if youre not scared then you will be able to play any horror games that you like.

Fatal Frame is the pinnacle of video game scare.....if TC's at all worried that isn't the best place to start. However, they are the best survival horror games i've ever played (based on that scare factor) so if you want to really go for it then that series (or Project Zero for Europeans) is the way to go!

D

Deleted-273695

I absolutely SHAT myself when watching the trailer for Fatal Frame 4
ohnoes.png

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sop said:
I can watch horror movies but judging from what i've heard about silent hill.. seems scary.

lol you can watch horror movies but you find scary games scary? you are just like my partner XD

you may want to try forbidden siren thats a good creepy game, also silent hill is a Psychological horror. which is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_horror

so it's not your basic jump out and go boo scary, it gets you "scared" in a different way
smile.gif

also the 1st resident evil is a jump out and go boo scary even though it has some cheesy parts (barry
rolleyes.gif
) the survival horror elements should keep you alert, please god don't play resident evil 5 or 4, they are not survival horrors but action games, they are nothing like the original resident evils.

on top of that if you have watched the saw movies you may want to try the 2 games they are not so bad they are just as gory as the films.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say to start off with a game that isn't terribly scary like Resident Evil 4. That's what I did. I played that, then RE5, and eventually my friends got together and played Silent Hill: Shattered Memories followed by Silent Hill 2.

SH2, as I said in the other thread, is scary as fuck at moments but the tension is broken by some camp moments. My main complaint with the game is that while the monsters are initially scary, you get used to them and find them pretty mundane while you're stuck doing lengthy puzzles. This was even a worse case in Shattered Memories since it basically had the same monsters throughout the game (although the underwater car scene was fucking scary, I had nightmares from that).

Gameking-4

Demon of the mist
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm just like you i think, i watch horror movies and am scared, but not that scared.

i wanted to play horror games, but i thought it would be horrible(see what i did there
wink.gif
)

i started with dead space(which is not really a horror but still scary) and built up from there, now i really enjoy them.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rule of thumb for me is if it starts to really scare me stop playing/watching. Mainly anything psychological gets to me.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well seeing as survival horrors made me develop kinemortaphobia and ruined the first 3 months of 07 for me...I wouldn't.

But I'm not you. Try them, and if you can't handle them, stop.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Silent hill and F.E.A.R are obviously the more "mainstream" horror games but that's what I'm playing at the moment. I've never been a horror gamer really and full on scares don't really scare me "for example, dead space" but something like a door moving an inch and I'll be on edge like O_O

If you're that kind of person then F.E.A.R is for you
tongue.gif

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Another great game with some decent fear in it is... F.E.A.R
Tons of killing clone soldiers + slow motion = fun + scary =epic
[youtube]IFppxz5owfU[/youtube]

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
You're hesitating about it in case you find them too scary?
Then go ahead and play them. I used to be pretty easy to scare but horror games have built up my resistance to tension and shiz like that.

And for your own good, don't play Amnesia: The Dark Descent until you like the horror genre.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Ikki said:
You're hesitating about it in case you find them too scary?
Then go ahead and play them. I used to be pretty easy to scare but horror games have built up my resistance to tension and shiz like that.

And for your own good, don't play Amnesia: The Dark Descent until you like the horror genre.
Isn't that game made by the same people that made Penumbra? damm that game made my shit bricks at some times...

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Try to avoid American "horror" games

This.

I haven't found a game that really scares me. I've pretty much seen it all. Fatal Frame 2 came the closest, just the random ghosts in the first house, I really didn't get far.

"Horror" games are a dime a dozen. I love the Silent Hill series, recommend 1-4 (4 is good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise) Resident Evil isn't survival horror, it's survival/action. Maybe the earlier ones were horror, but the recent ones are not.

Another great one that I keep saying is Deadly Premonition. Low budget, but it's a solid game. One of my favorite in recent years.

As far as American "horror" goes, both Dead Spaces are pretty decent. Shock horror and lame pop-outs cause the novelty to wear off fairly early, but the environment is creepy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    BakerMan won't bake cakes for chat. :ninja:
    +3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, but we can have uremum's cake
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    My sister makes Cream Cheese Brownies :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should ask for Green leaf brownies
    Space Cakes?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Space Cakes?