Hardware Should I get a docking station for my gaming laptop? If so, what would you recommend?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So back in November, I bought a Dell Inspiron 7577 to basically replace my desktop computer, allowing me to have a decent computer in a small package that doesn't use as much power that I can take with me while being able to handle gaming and various other applications when I want. But, when using it like a desktop PC with all these other devices like keyboard/mouse, ethernet, external monitors, etc, it looks rather ugly with all the poor cable management. So, I thought about getting a docking station via USB-C (with TB3) to basically drop the cable count to 2 (one for power and one for the docking station). This way I could close the laptop and tuck it away, and if I need to take the laptop with me, I can just unplug those 2 cables rather than having to unplug many more. Another thing is that from what I understand, my laptop via HDMI cannot utilize the iGPU. It's connected straight to the dGPU, forcing it to be enabled even with it doesn't actually need it, requiring more power and generating overall more heat. Can't connect 2 external monitors via the HDMI alone either. Supposedly the USB-C isn't like that for both cases (but I'm not sure).

I went to the Dell boards to ask, but didn't get much about recommendations or even if certain things would work. One thing I did learn is that for gaming purposes, I don't want anything that outputs video via DisplayLink, because it uses compression technology. Currently have a monitor with a Displayport/HDMI, and another with HDMI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel