shoptemp r4 + wood

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by renton56, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010

shoptemp r4 + wood by renton56 at 3:46 AM (3,667 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. renton56
    OP

Newcomer renton56 Member

United States
    well im buying my friends some r4's and i im wondering if the shoptemp r4's can support wood.

also is there any sign of wood working on any dsi compatable cart? or should i buy a cheaper dsi cart? and if i need a dsi cart, which should is best for its price

2. Mages4ever

Member Mages4ever GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Yes.
    The $6 one can run WoodR4.
    (If you want cheap DSi support, AK2i all the way)

3. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yeah, R4s may be the cheapest, but the AK2i is the best value. And not much more expensive.

4. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Or if you can spend the extra bucks go buy the newest and the promising supercard ds 2

5. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    $34 is not what i call "extra"

people should stop buying R4,Wood is for those who already have it,learn it people

6. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    Why?
    If you don't need SDHC or DSi support, you should definately get an R4 since it's 1/3rd of the price of an AK2i. Also, Wood is ahead of AKAIO on game compatibility and R4s have better build quality than AK2is.
    So stop hatin.

7. Infinite Zero

United States
    youre not doing your homework
    acekard will be always better than the R4. Why? Because wood is from the akaio firmware(or the acekard stuff)
    if people cannot afford to buy other than the r4, its acceptable, but thinking that it's better to actually go purchase it because of Wood IS STUPID

8. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    Wood R4 is not "from the akaio firmware" or "acekard stuff". Wood R4 is derived from Wood RPG, which is a firmware for the Acekard RPG. And from what I've read, the Acekard RPG support in AKAIO is YWGs work.
    If you need a flashcart for phat/lite and think 2GB of storage is enough for you, why would you pay 3 times the price of an R4 for features you don't need? Also, like I said the R4s have a better build quality than AK2is, better game compatibility and better hardware (faster game loading etc).

9. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

AKAIO is based on AKBBS, which was for the Acekard RPG. It's authors were "bliss/Normmatt/Smiths/Moogle/Gelu/kzat" and presumably also yellow.wood.goblin.

Wood RPG is based on Gelu's firmware.

10. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    From AKAIO 1.5 changelog:
    "Huge rewrite of akrpg loader courtesy of yellow_wood_goblin"

Doesn't really matter tho. It isn't a contest for these guys since from what I've seen they've both been helping each other out with their firmwares and they're both good. It's just getting old when every other member here ignores all the facts and goes "don't buy R4 bla bla bla, buy AK2i, AKAIO the best".
    For me this makes sense: If you don't need SDHC or DSi support, get an R4. Otherwise get an AK2i or some other supported DSi cart.

11. Infinite Zero

United States
    Acekard is NOT the card with the extra features like cyclods, m3i zero, sc ds 2 that has real time save, real time walkthrough, and more features.

AK is the budget card thatlets you play games what you want without all the extra features. Akaio is only best with the game compatibility. not the over all

12. Miser

Banned Miser Banned

South Africa
    There you go again. "Akaio best".
    Just fyi, at the moment Wood R4 has a better game compatibility than AKAIO.

13. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Look, the real problem with telling people that "the R4 is ok" is that they simply won't hear your qualifier of "if you get a clone of the original". I mean, think of all the stupid users out there who just go and buy whatever they are told is the best.

Noob: "Hey is the R4 ok?"
    Experienced member: "Sure, if you can find the original and don't mind the SD limitations"
    Noob: "Sweet!"
    Noob: "Hey, can I get an R4?"
    Seller: "Sure, latest and greatest R4iLLLLLis3D King! Just $50!"
    Noob: "That's what I need, Experienced Member tole me so! I'll take it!"
    Noob: "Hey guys why I can't play Pokemon Blck and Whit on my R4 plzplzplzplzplz hlp!"
    Us: "Ugh."

14. lolzed

Philippines
    aight so if YWG drops Wood good luck,the dead R4 team will help you [​IMG]

well if AKAIO team drops AKAIO a living Acekard team will be there [​IMG]

point is,Wood is for those who already have R4,not to encourage buying it.R4 era is over,get over it [​IMG]

and,just to say,I'm not saying that Acekard reigns over all.Pointing out that all the other cards(EDGE and Cyclo,SCDS1/i/2,M3 and all the rest are great as well)

15. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wait, I don't understand your reasoning as to why the AK2i is better, a budget card without all the special features is pretty much the R4 philosophy. The AK2i does have extra hardware features compared to the R4 which are DSi and SDHC compatibility however like people have said if you don't care about that there is little difference. Also for some people the cost is a major factor and why should you buy a £20 card (or whatever typical price) when you can buy a £5 card which does all the same things that you need. AKAIO is probably the better firmware with more features but the R4 has faster load times which may be appealing for some people and honestly not everyone cares about either of these factors. So I think Miser is right in saying that "If you don't need SDHC or DSi support, get an R4. Otherwise get an AK2i"

16. lolzed

Philippines
    it has 4mb of ram,only for making it run on 1.4 DSi,that's all
    AK is $14(11 with discount) on shoptemp,while R4 is $6,little difference.
    And if Wood R4 was never made,would you buy R4?

And finally,I guess i would buy R4 over EDGE,AK2.1,and even DSTT and all the rest huh [​IMG]

17. Supersonicmonk

United Kingdom
    If YWG drops Wood R4 there is YSMenu to fall back on which has perfect compatibility but is a little fiddly to set up. If the AKAIO team drops AKAIO then the only thing that really made the AK2i special is gone and you will have to revert back to the apparently slow, ancient official firmware, so again the only real difference will be DSi and SDHC compatibility

18. Supersonicmonk

United Kingdom
    I'm not saying that I think the R4 is the best card I'm just saying that the Acekard isn't particularly better and what if AKAIO wasn't made would you buy the AK2i? probably not.

19. lolzed

Philippines
    At least they're alive,they update before AKAIO was made,and people bought it

20. Supersonicmonk

United Kingdom
    Your point being? YSMenu being based on TTMenu doesn't matter and again if AKAIO was never made then the Acekard wouldn't be anything special and no one would preach about it. Ok I'm not sure about YSMenu's compatibility but all good games work and I assume it's only a few recent releases that don't.