Shoptemp: Acekard spring is broken?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Kingnog, May 7, 2010.

May 7, 2010
  1. Kingnog
    OP

Newcomer Kingnog Newbie

United States
    I ordered a brand new Acekard 2i from ShopTemp.com, and it arrived with the spring "broken". The microSD card does not click" into place, it just pops back out whenever I try to push it in. My other Acekard does not do this.

Is there a known solution to this problem without opening it up?

2. rikuumi

Member rikuumi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Send it back for refund

3. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    You can find out how to fix it here

4. rikuumi

United States
    I think if Shop sends you broken device you won't try to fix it yourself because:
    - If you broke it they won't refund
    - And it's not right for you to pay for broken item

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It's a problem with the Acekard no matter where you buy it from. I'd say just try to fix it yourself, it's not a big enough problem to have to send it back.

6. wrettcaughn

United States
    well, the question is...do you want to wait for another one or do you want to apply a simple fix that a child could do and start playing games within the next 5 minutes?

7. Kingnog
    OP

Newcomer Kingnog Newbie

United States
    Their "customer support" told me to ask on the GBAtemp forums for a solution, and if there is not a good solution, they would replace it. That's why I posted this!

Weird customer support...

8. wrettcaughn

United States
    there's a youtube video in the search results i posted that will walk you through it.

9. rikuumi

United States
    Indeed! I think it's rude to say you need to check forums for help!
    You have absolutely right for a refund or replacement without checking anything from these forums!
    "Blacklists ShopTemp"

10. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You could try to fix it yourself, but they shouldn't say "ask on the boards", I'd just send you a link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGzE46_xMM

Which you could try. But I personally wouldn't. I have heard if you push down "firmly" onto the microsd while putting it into the slot, it'll work. Thats probably what'll I'll do if mine breaks. Becareful not to break anything tho.

Then I'd ask if you want a refund or a replacement.

But I'm not customer service. (because I'm not being payed and I didn't get a spiffy uniform; even though I wouldn't need a uniform since I'm doing the job over the net)

11. Tim 13

Newcomer Tim 13 Member

United States
    Actually, my Acekard spring broke too, but I noticed that it was still simple to remove with just your thumbnail. Maybe we have different springs that broke, but for mine, it's really not a difficult adjustment.

Plus, even if I wanted a refund, it arrived in working order, then broke, like, two days later. lol

12. Des_Kaje

Newcomer Des_Kaje Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I have exactly the same problem. I just opened a new support ticket on Shoptemp so I hope to get a reply soon. Kingnog, has your problem already been solved? Did you get a replacement or did you manage to fix the spring after all?

13. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    To those complaining about ShopTemp telling people to ask for help on the forums first...
    You do realize that ShopTemp and GBATemp are partners, right?
    And that often times the solution to problems people have are simple fixes that they just didn't bother reading about, right?
    How many times a week do you see people asking why their non-upgraded AceKard2i won't work on a 1.4 DSi? Now imagine if they all asked for a refund on their product instead of asking for help.

By having people ask on the forums, this helps to cut back on 'good returns', items that were returned with no problems.
    That in turn reduces the workload on ShopTemp to verify the card is bad (or good) 'in-house' and then send out a new card.

Also, ShopTemp isn't the only ones who do something like that...
    I bought some Corsair Memory from NewEgg a few years back. They have a Lifetime Warranty.
    One of my sticks became damaged, a semi-natural occurrence and I went to do the RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) to get a replacement.
    Part of the RMA process was to go to their forums and post in the technical help area where I got suggestions of things to try (i.e. run MemTest86 and post the log, double check the RAM was properly identified in BIOS, check the Timing and Voltage settings, etc). This was all relatively simple to do, and as soon as I had done the steps, the RMA was approved and I got my new RAM a week later.

Asking people to help themselves before returning an item is not a bad thing.
    It saves everyone on time and money.