Homebrew Question Shockolate - System Shock

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking over game suggestion ports and saw Shockolate. Getting the game to 'play' was pretty trival. However, when I looked to mapping the game keys there are a lot of them (walk, run, dive, climb, bank, thrust, look, lean, jump, etc). Does anyone have suggestions for mapping the switch controller to the SS system. I have never played it so I dont really know what would work best.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Not every binding is essential in these old games.

I've never played SS but I'd bet money that "lean" doesn't ever need to be used.

Also, you really ported System Shock to Switch? That's pretty great. Any screenshots?

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not every binding is essential in these old games.

I've never played SS but I'd bet money that "lean" doesn't ever need to be used.

Also, you really ported System Shock to Switch? That's pretty great. Any screenshots?

I got it to run, but non of the controller input works as the sdl version doesn't use the controller pad or joy pad, so I'm pretty sure it should work once the mapping works. The game controls seem to heavily use multiple modifiers which I think can be mapped to the triggers.

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will you be releasing this or was it not in a playable enough state? You've done good work lately capsterx! :bow:

I actually forget where I left off on this. I got sidetracked on a game that uses sqlite3 and it's driving me crazy I cannot get it to work. The database opens and nothing ever gets written into it and it errors out. Since I made this post I've made a pretty generic key/touch/mouse mapper which should let people create their own mappings instead of hardcoding them as I did in some of my early ports. I'll take a look sometime next week and see if it's as easy as plugging that into the event loop.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Idk if this helps, but since update 10.0.2 or so, you can map joycon buttons through system controller settings, and save a profile.

capsterx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk if this helps, but since update 10.0.2 or so, you can map joycon buttons through system controller settings, and save a profile.

It might! Though I think it likely still expects you to have a mouse/keyboard to setup the joycon, that's pretty normal assumption from what I've seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.