Hacking Official ShadowNAND

Which path would you like ShadowNAND and SaltFW to have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
The whole point though is that no investigation should be needed - there should be no confusion when using it about the fact that Shadowhand did not make it, you shouldn't need to compare github commits to figure out he used the code 100% verbatim.

That makes sense, I guess. From the fact that ShadowNAND advertised SD booting and AW's a9lh didn't appear to have it, it just seemed like a ShadowNAND innovation.
But given that even the OP to a project already saying it's forking AW's a9lh states outright that AW had an involvement in stuff like mini-CFW I don't think it's about malice or obfuscation.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
No matter how closely you read the credits all you'll get are a vague "Thanks AW for the main features" - which can be interpreted in about a thousand different ways, ranging from "they provided input" to "they did all of the work."
The line says that AW deserves credit the main features. Any other interpretation deviates from what's there.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
The line says that AW deserves credit the main features. Any other interpretation deviates from what's there.
It shouldn't need to be up to interpretation - it should say, explicitly, that it uses AW's code for those features, so things like
From the fact that ShadowNAND advertised SD booting and AW's a9lh didn't appear to have it, it just seemed like a ShadowNAND innovation.
Doesn't happen.

Reactions: Joel16

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
It shouldn't need to be up to interpretation - it should say, explicitly, that it uses AW's code for those features, so things like

Doesn't happen.
That's more AW's fault for not releasing the mini cfw code. It implies it's not stable while ShadowNand's is.

Again, ShadowHand has done his due dilligence in properly crediting Aurora Wright. It's not his fault if users don't understand what it means.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@astronautlevel, also I did not ask her to make one for me. I asked if it's possible, then she came up with it. Do you want to see the precursor code to miniCFW?

https://p.secretalgorithm.com/isizokicug.dos <<< chat log from skype chat database (from my old hard drive)
https://i.secretalgorithm.com/DWcZe <<< The actual repo that I linked before I said "clickity" in the logs.

EDIT: here's the query I ran on my skype database:
Code:
select from_dispname, timestamp, body_xml from messages where convo_id = 265834 AND timestamp between 1466430000 AND 1466435635

I then cleaned up the personal stuff from the chat, and left only the talk about NAND CFW

EDIT2: Screenshot is not there to say "I own the code". It's there to say "She made it, and she gave them to me, and I credited her properly several times."

Last edited by Shadowhand,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Doesn't really change much imo

This is a weak ass argument, if you have an issue with the structure of someone's code or think it can be improved open an issue (or even a PR if you're feeling adventurous and want to fix it yourself), you don't insult their code behind closed doors.

There's also the fact that you hyped up Shadownand with no idea how to make a stage2 CFW, and eventually had to go and ask Aurora to do it for you, and yet you make no effort whatsoever to correct people who believe that you did any work on the stage2 CFW (and even imply this yourself).

Please, forgive me for asking people to use the original developer's code, which will be better tested and receive feature updates much sooner, rather than someone else using their code verbatim.
I don't see the problem, I mean he gave credits and AW aproved this project, so...

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
That's more AW's fault for not releasing the mini cfw code. It implies it's not stable while ShadowNand's is.
That's because aurora just has a higher threshold of quality before a release I guess.
Again, ShadowHand has done his due dilligence in properly crediting Aurora Wright. It's not his fault if users don't understand what it means.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here then; it's clear to me though given the numerous misconceptions that appear here (whereas back when Luma was AuReiNand there was no question it was a ReiNAND fork).
@astronautlevel, also I did not ask her to make one for me. I asked if it's possible, then she came up with it. Do you want to see the precursor code to miniCFW?

https://p.secretalgorithm.com/isizokicug.dos <<< chat log from skype chat database (from my old hard drive)
https://i.secretalgorithm.com/DWcZe <<< The actual repo that I linked before I said "clickity" in the logs.
I'll look over these once I get a chance.

I don't see the problem, I mean he gave credits and AW aproved this project, so...
See literally anything I wrote above.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I edited my post to add some points, since I could see extra drama with dramasauce on the side showing up afterwards.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't like how elitism is happening on the 3DS scene, even worse that rxTools's era, if you have an idea and you want to make it real, if you are not a "respectful dev" (bullshit to me), everything you do is thrash and a cheap copypasta of other's code, everything you are doing is dismotivating people to learn homebrew developement stuff, even if you are forking stuff (remember ReiNand's mod from AW). Yeah yeah, I know giving o3ds support wasn't easy, but other stuff was not very diferent from original Reisyukaku's one, not to metion that most of the work came from @Stevience, @FIX94 and @TuxSH, and everyone got proper credits. Now the thing appears a tyranity between AW, TuxSH, you @astronautlevel and other guys, everyone can contribude with small changes that other people would like or not, just stfu.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I don't like how elitism is happening on the 3DS scene, even worse that rxTools's era, if you have an idea and you want to make it real, if you are not a "respectful dev" (bullshit to me), everything you do is thrash and a cheap copypasta of other's code
No, I love forks and encourage forking and development of projects by everyone - what I cannot stand is when people don't give credit where credit is due.
(remember ReiNand's mod from AW). Yeah yeah, I know giving o3ds support wasn't easy, but other stuff was not very diferent from original Reisyukaku's one, not to metion that most of the work came from @Stevience, @FIX94 and @TuxSH, and everyone got proper credits.
The key part being everyone got proper credits. Again, this is the only real issue I have here.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
last time i compiled AW A9LH from source, i got a brick.

unless you have a hardmod, always use a stable release
I feel like you compiled it wrong because I have switched between ShadowNAND and her A9LH without hassle.
In fact, I actually went back her A9LH+mini-CFW last night without a problem.

Hyoretsu

Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can I make a combination of ShadowNAND+EmuNAND using BootCTR9? (Install ShadowNAND and then press L to boot into EmuNAND)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither me or @astronautlevel is throwing dirt at you shadowhand.
We just don't like how you bashed the dev, whether it was in the past or in the present, you now heavily rely on their code. While I commend you for mostly crediting the respectful developers, I still agree with astro's point.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
No, I love forks and encourage forking and development of projects by everyone - what I cannot stand is when people don't give credit where credit is due.

The key part being everyone got proper credits. Again, this is the only real issue I have here.
AW was properly credited. That's actually the only credit in bold.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States

Everyone got proper credit where credit was due. Your constant disturbing on this thread and others isn't helping anyone, so if you have a problem with Shadowhand, send him a PM. We couldn't care less. This isn't a forum for childish wars or controversial opinions.
It's only causing the people that want to use this unconventional a9lh fork more confused, and devs to be afraid to spin off work, just because they don't know the amount of credit they're supposed to give someone. Ridiculous.

I mean for fuck's sake they both completely validly worked on this project, nothing more, nothing less. Move on.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Neither me or @astronautlevel is throwing dirt at you shadowhand.
We just don't like how you bashed the dev, whether it was in the past or in the present, you now heavily rely on their code. While I commend you for mostly crediting the respectful developers, I still agree with astro's point.
Show me one place in either SaltFW or ShadowNAND threads where I did not credit her or disrespect her, and I will publicly apologise to you, to astro and to AW.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Show me one place in either SaltFW or ShadowNAND threads where I did not credit her or disrespect her, and I will publicly apologise to you, to astro and to AW.
As for the discrediting issue, there's proof by action - no one doubted that AuReiNAND was a ReiNAND fork and it was known what Aurora worked on and what Reisyukaku worked on. Yet here everyone thinks that you worked on sd-less a9lh, when that is far from the case.

For someone who got pissed at someone for saying something wrong because they misplaced a comma, arguing that "Humans speak to spread information, and when your speech spreads false information, or if you're incapable of conveying your knowledge, then it's time you learnt how to speak better. Am I wrong?" you are surprisingly lax with your crediting to AW, never correcting anyone who spread the misinformation that this was your work, and using imprecise language to describe what AW did in terms of the stage 2 cfw.

It was Aurora's idea TBH.
It was my idea, and I pitched it to Aurora, so please. Give credit where its due.
Hmm, while it's true you've tried to do this for a long time, the first one who meant to do it was delebile :D he never implemented it though.

This whole exchange seems pretty rude on your part, but it's a weak example on its own.

I know right? That was the main driving force behind SaltFW, but my idea was to have it work without SD, and now with the help of great devs such as Aurora, TuxSH and D0k3, I'm making it real.
With the other devs doing the work for you, not with the help of*

There's also the fact that, as far as I've seen, you've never apologized to Aurora for the post on /r/shittyprogramming, even if that was before you forked AuReiNand it's still a shitty thing to do.

There's probably more examples, but I'm not going to be assed to read over 40+ pages of forums. In general, your power tripping attitude pisses me off, you act like you've done way more than you have, never bother to correct anyone who spreads that belief, and have refused to give credit even when aurora herself has said that it's inadequate.

(Also, side note, I enjoy being called a "raging cunt" - big fan, big fan).

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
As for the discrediting issue, there's proof by action - no one doubted that AuReiNAND was a ReiNAND fork and it was known what Aurora worked on and what Reisyukaku worked on. Yet here everyone thinks that you worked on sd-less a9lh, when that is far from the case
That's because AuReiNAND was a proper fork. ShadowNAND was its own thing long before AW's code was added.
For someone who got pissed at someone for saying something wrong because they misplaced a comma, arguing that "Humans speak to spread information, and when your speech spreads false information, or if you're incapable of conveying your knowledge, then it's time you learnt how to speak better. Am I wrong?" you are surprisingly lax with your crediting to AW
Communication involves two people. ShadowHand has done his part by crediting Aurora Wright. Each user who didn't read the credits didn't do their part and made assumptions instead.
never correcting anyone who spread the misinformation that this was your work
He can't read every post.
and using imprecise language to describe what AW did in terms of the stage 2 cfw.
"ShadowNAND - CFW in your NAND", the main feature being the mini CFW. AW has been credited for the main features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY