Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
xoinx said:
somehow when you brought this up... i thought of TT Durai and Ming Yi... lol! telephone voting on tv shows FTW!!!!!!

anyway, i was at the parade live yesterday (since i got tickets from my gf) and i've to say, when seen live, the show was only meh :S i'm not sure if it was better from home, but at least you have more of a clue of what's going on since there is the commentary. and the goody bag didn't have much goodies
frown.gif
hai, economic crisis sia!

Durai and Ming Yi were.... unfortunate cases. Durai was at the helm of NKF, that was a bad blow to charity shows. He used all the ill gains for crap like golden toilet? Fuck him. Ming Yi was more sad. He always looked like a great spiritual leader to me when I was young. Now this case comes up....

There should actually be a watchdog agency watching over these organizations if they want to prevent this.

And i tot you were too sick to go? Any pics?

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
haha i was well by last night la, almost a week already
smile.gif
will upload my pics onto facebook soon... maybe will give you guys a link when i get that done haha. but the coolest part was like after the parade, cos they closed many roads for pedestrians to walk along, so everyone was taking photos in the middle of the road, sitting down etc. quite cool LOL

edit: i dont think there are any watchdog agencies as in belonging to the government... but there is a commissioner of charities or something which overlooks everything and is supposed to point out any irregularities in accounts. and they have to be audited by iras (inland revenue authority of singapore) too i think

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
antonkan said:
Since this topic become so popular, then I guess it has to be a sticky topic.

Please pin this topic!!

(Sorry for my off-topic post)
Real smart, AntonKan.

Is this dude for real?

QUOTE(Domination @ Aug 10 2009, 10:14 AM) I still think the Superstar, Superband and Singapore Idol are waste of time. Mediacorp only cares to use you as entertainment and a medium of money when people vote for you. They don't really give a hoot what happens after you signed a contract.
Not just Mediacorp. Every show like these. American Idol, and more.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
LOL, I don't have facebook yet. But do you have pics of the PAP people?

And the comissioner of charities is what actually made the Ming Yi case come to light right? But I would think it is bettter if the agencies or comissioned personnel actually get access to what they are doing, their plans, their estimate budget etc. The shows were actually affected prety badly by the case and less people actually donated to the charity shows. And normally Singaporeans don't donate except during those shows.

Edit: @benjamin, Not really, since they will sell very well, so the channels don't need to care. And overseas, the record labels are actually the ones that actually care more since they have lots of fans, they want the artistes to finish allt he albums the company is entitled to. Singapore? Both sides don't care.

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
They sell very well? You think so? Maybe it would be true for Kelly Clarkson.

Anyways. They promise a record album, and they deliver. If they said something like "Win Singapore Idol, get a record deal, and soar to worldwide fame" then I would be against what they're doing. But they don't.

Like you said, they sell very well overseas, so channels don't need to care. By the same reasoning, if they(the participants who enter the competitions) don't sell well, why should record companies care about them and invest more money? This is a business, and the sole reason for a business to operate is to make money, not to care for the well-being of their singers. Singers have agents for that.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook and Daughtry all sold very well. They have at least a million album sales. They may have 100 millions in population, but millions is already a big number, as big as old time stars like Aerosmith Their album sales makes our idols' sales pale in comparison. We have like 4 Million (forgot how many) population but only how many buys Superband or Superstar records? Not even in 100 thousands.

And hell lets not compare to them. I think even local stars like JJ Lin and Ou De Yang who are not from talent shows sell as well or better than them.

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
i personally feel that idol competition winners dont last quite very long... its just the novelty factor and familiarity effect of seeing them on tv once a week and when it wears off, they lose their popularity real quick. and i feel they usually end up in the shadows of existing artistes since they rose to fame doing covers of other people's songs. at the end of the day, once idol coverage stops, they just get forgotten real quick... its a sad life for them...

the thing is that idol competitions usually focus on just vocals but the fact is nowadays, it is the complete entertainment package that counts... that's why ppl like justin timberlake, usher, rain or MJ stand out more since they are a like all in 1.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
xoinx said:
the thing is that idol competitions usually focus on just vocals but the fact is nowadays, it is the complete entertainment package that counts... that's why ppl like justin timberlake, usher, rain or MJ stand out more since they are a like all in 1.

I don't like a single one of them, maybe a little MJ.

Old timers can be entertaining too you knwo?

Like Steven Tyler!

Or Angus Young from AC/DC (actually, should be ESPECIALLY)

though steven was too lively.....

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
i personally think that rock bands are more entertaining than individuals, but i just thought that we were discussing along those lines lol!

rock bands are so much cooler and lively, i'm not a fan of visual rock but i still think its quite fun just watching them get high on stage
smile.gif

edit: ouch that fall must hurt... but who cares when you are so rich and have a freaking HOT daughter LOL
tongue.gif

mrfatso

That guy!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Domination said:
Carrie Underwood, Clay Aiken, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook and Daughtry all sold very well. They have at least a million album sales. They may have 100 millions in population, but millions is already a big number, as big as old time stars like Aerosmith Their album sales makes our idols' sales pale in comparison. We have like 4 Million (forgot how many) population but only how many buys Superband or Superstar records? Not even in 100 thousands.

And hell lets not compare to them. I think even local stars like JJ Lin and Ou De Yang who are not from talent shows sell as well or better than them.

totally agreed
biggrin.gif
and off topic: anyone know what happen to the china dolls? Last time got their commerical so fun to watch
biggrin.gif
and speakin of which, what happen to that girl who sang "?????"??

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
???? I think she went out of fame and haven't seen her much. I haven't really been following up on C-Pop biz scene since I am more busy listening to English Rock
biggrin.gif

And ???(dunno how to write) just released his album yesterday right? I doubt it would sell even though we are having holidays. That is just how sad the contest winners are.

mrfatso

That guy!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
lol, special in what way?
tongue.gif

Domination said:
???? I think she went out of fame and haven't seen her much. I haven't really been following up on C-Pop biz scene since I am more busy listening to English Rock
biggrin.gif

And ???(dunno how to write) just released his album yesterday right? I doubt it would sell even though we are having holidays. That is just how sad the contest winners are.

last time i saw her was she was singing a song for one channel 8 drama then i guess maybe its because she is a one trick pony, see her ablum, 13 of the same song, only remixed nia, i already shake head

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
DOLwm said:
lol, Who knows?

Maybe this season, there will be 'SOMEONE' special.

What? Steven Lim ver. 2? I fyou don't know him, I guess you can google bah.....

And there was someone special yesterday! Krauser! LOLOL Taht was funny. But stupid

I still liek that Slash imitation more cos Singapore needs to know Hard Rock more than the staple Alternative and Pop crap.(not much Alternative, more Pop crap)

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Comedy? Some Singaporeans are totally shameless. Wtf, that Krauser guy, his cool and all. But C'mon he was dressed like that but he sang a pop song isntead of a death metal song? Fail. Then theres that Steven Lim. What is he? Some kind of male exotic dancer? Always taking off his shirt.

Sometimes, the BHB-ness of Singaporeans really shock me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: