SFC EMU File Count Limitations

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Another World, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    I have discovered that the SFC EMU will freeze when trying to open a directory with more than 255 files. Once the 256th file is introduced the directory will freeze.

Would some people be so kind as to test this for me? I would just like confirmation that this is happening to others and that it isn't specific to my testing circumstances.

Thank you,
    -Another World

2. Recorderdude

Recorderdude Musician, Animator, Buffoon.

Jun 19, 2010
    United States
    that was 1.0...wonder why this would be changed in 1.5?

3. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i am aware of her findings. they do not match my findings. neither do a few other areas of her review. which is why i am asking here for confirmation.

-another world

4. Slyakin

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    I'll try it, but I think this was fixed in the last update. I remember it getting mind-bogglingly slow with around 200 files, but the 1.08 fixed that completely.

5. VatoLoco

VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    Ya Cant Get There From Here
    i did some testing of limits a bit ago and its 255 roms here.
    same with snes cheats. if theres more than 255 cheats, no cheats will load/show up

6. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i have the beta, i guess i'll have to dig it out and see if this is a limitation they added to v1.5.

thanks vato.

-another world

7. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    @Another World,

I was coming here to ask a question regarding this, I separated my SFC ROMs into four folders, A-G, H-M, N-S, & T-Z, because it would freeze whenever I tried to load a folder with all them in it at once.

After I did this, I could access A-G, H-M, & T-Z, but never N-S, it would always freeze.

So I came here to ask why, when I saw your post, and I checked the file count, 277.

I then split this folder into two parts, N-P and Q-S, and tested it out again.

It works!

p.s, I just got my SCDSTwo in yesterday.

edit: This is not the same for the GBA emulator, as I have well over 255 files in the same folder & it has never crashed.