Hacking Setting up M3i Zero

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, long time lurker. I used a guide here with amazing results for setting up M3i Zero when I got it last year, using Touchpod. But some games weren't working properly, so I sort of just forgot about it. So I decided to give it to my little brother, starting from fresh. I installed the latest F_CORE file, latest SYSTEM folder which got me the media player, but I can't figure out how to load games.

I found a guide to help me install M3 Sakura, but there were so many steps to it, a dozen different softwares to download, my head felt like it was going to explode while trying this and my downloads folder become a huge jumbled mess.

Can anyone here help out? I just want to set it up so it'll play any of his games and so he just needs to drag and drop them into the NDS folder. If I can't figure out how to set this up myself, there is no way he will be able to. I have done this before, with Touchpod like I mentioned, but I want to make sure that it will work for all games and work fine, so I don't need to drive down from college every weekend to patch each and every game problem he has.

I can usually figure this out myself, but my head feels like it is going to explode. Organic chemistry aint nothing compared to setting up a M3i Zero
frown.gif

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yes, it is just M3i Zero, it is not the GMP-Z003 version. Thanks guys, you have no idea how helpful you are to the rest of us. GBA temp is probably the best resource for this kind of stuff I have used over the years (I remember the first time I found it, thought the name was curious, wasn't sure what to think :3).

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
It's not that hard, really. The simplest menu to install (that still allows you to play the latest games) is probably WoodYs: http://gbatemp.net/t268715-alternative-firmwares-for-m3

Steps: Backup all the data on your microSD (copy and paste it into your computer), use this to format it, copy and paste your data back, download WoodYs here, and read and follow the instructions in readme.txt (don't worry, they are just 2 steps long).

Note that you still have to update that monthly if you want to play the very latest games (the later the updates, the more of the very latest games can be played).
To update this just wait for the latest version of WoodYs to appear, and then repeat these steps again.

(Catboy: I was about to recommend the Quad Boot, but I was afraid he would get confused by the multiple firmwares. Sorry!)

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh excellent
happy.gif
So the SYSTEM folder that I already have on there, which seems to be the M3i Zero media player, do I put that back after formatting?

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes you have to. Just put everything back. If you're copying WoodYs's SYSTEM folder over it should automatically merge with your original SYSTEM folder. Some files will be replaced though, just select "Yes" whenever they ask you about that.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, it looks like it is working. The menu is nice and simple. I haven't tested more complex games like White or Black, I had a lot of problems with these previously (sometimes loading it it would load an old save instead of the most recent).

But one problem, I tested it on my old DS Phat and it works (so I'm guessing it will work on my bros Lite), but it's not working on my 3DS, it comes up as "an error has occurred". I think I flashed it with the latest FCORE.DAT, so I don't know why it is doing this or if I should bother fixing it, it'll be months until he gets a DSi or 3DS.

EDIT: I do remember updating the M3i Zero when I got my 3DS to play it on it. I used the latest FCORE.DAT available, so I don't know why it's not working on the 3DS, or if it even matters that it doesn't work on the 3DS.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try flashing it again with this. It's the latest F-Core which should work on the 3DS, if it doesn't work it means WoodYs doesn't work on the 3DS and you have to boot Sakura on it (though in that case it may be easier for you to buy an Acekard, which has better game compatability, or a DStwo if you can spare more money).

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, that would make sense! I didn't think that maybe WoodYs could be the problem. I will try flashing it with that. Is it okay to just use the "system" folder that was in the WoodYs zip folder? I can't remember where I got that other "system" folder from, the official website I think.

And in the future with this card, I just need to download the latest WoodYs zip folder and place it into the root of the M3i Zero to update it, right?

I'll definitely be getting the DSTwo as soon as I can afford it (might have to start bringing my own lunch :3). I should have gotten a Supercard to begin with, but I read somewhere that the M3i Zero was the best card at the time.

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
LoggerMan said:
Oh, that would make sense! I didn't think that maybe WoodYs could be the problem. I will try flashing it with that. Is it okay to just use the "system" folder that was in the WoodYs zip folder? I can't remember where I got that other "system" folder from, the official website I think.
Yes. Just use the same SYSTEM folder that you were using before this (the combined one).

LoggerMan said:
And in the future with this card, I just need to download the latest WoodYs zip folder and place it into the root of the M3i Zero to update it, right?
Yeah.

QUOTE(LoggerMan @ Jun 14 2011, 06:42 PM)
I'll definitely be getting the DSTwo as soon as I can afford it (might have to start bringing my own lunch :3). I should have gotten a Supercard to begin with, but I read somewhere that the M3i Zero was the best card at the time.
Good idea! M3i Zero was not bad when it came out, but the DSTWO's definitely the best right now.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
molh394 said:
LoggerMan said:
Yes.
Use the handheldresources.net, there you have the latest Sakura folder which if you'll replace it with the one you have now, you will have it autoboot, which you can use with a 3DS. Though you can then copy WoodYsmenu there as well, however look in the instructions and don't copy everything, because then the WoodYs wil autoboot.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Actually the problem isnt most likely the Kernel (WoodYS, YSM3, WoodM3, Sakura, w/e)
The problem is most likely the firmware... (F_CORE.dat)
You have to use the latest F_CORE.dat that works with 2.0.0.2 version of 3DS (or something along that numbers)

The Kernel only launchs the game... what bypasses the 3DS is the Firmware... a.k.a F_CORE.dat

molh394

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Fel said:
Use the handheldresources.net, there you have the latest Sakura folder which if you'll replace it with the one you have now, you will have it autoboot, which you can use with a 3DS. Though you can then copy WoodYsmenu there as well, however look in the instructions and don't copy everything, because then the WoodYs wil autoboot.
Oh, looks like I misread his query. Going back to edit my post now, thanks for pointing it out.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it was the firmware, I wasn't using the latest one (it looks like the official website hasn't been updated in a while, or maybe its not the official website after all
tongue.gif
).

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is an official site, both Chinese and an English one, but usually handheldsources.net is the fastest and easiest way how to acquire the newest F_Core and firmware, it's almost immediately mirrored there when the Chinese site has an update. (which happens very rarely now, the last thing they did was to update the F_Core to 2.2 so it can bypass 3DS)

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
All has been going well, although I do need to buy some more micro SD cards for him, I had forgotten how big some of his backedup games can be. Some games give the error something like "errcode=-83", which from searching GBAtemp forums I'm taking to mean something is wrong with that part of the memory card and it needs to be formatted (so I'll have to buy him more and bigger cards to swap these things around on). But another title, Kingdom Hearts Re-Coded, is giving "errcode=-4". I think this title is a recent one, and this particular code doesn't seem to come up for others, so should I just forget about that one running on this card, or is there an easy way to get it going?

I'm thinking of just buying two Supercards actually and just giving the M3i Zero to whoever wants it, or throwing it away. It is expensive to buy, but when I look at how much time I might need to spend getting the M3i Zero to work consistently, it may be worth it. It's pretty hard having to explain how to backup the SD card, format it, and put the stuff back on. I couldn't even describe what USB to SD card adapter was over the phone :3

So yeah, is errcode=-4 for certain games fixable, and are cheap micro SD cards from dealextreme.com likely to work without hiccups?

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LoggerMan said:
I'm thinking of just buying two Supercards actually and just giving the M3i Zero to whoever wants it, or throwing it away. It is expensive to buy, but when I look at how much time I might need to spend getting the M3i Zero to work consistently, it may be worth it. It's pretty hard having to explain how to backup the SD card, format it, and put the stuff back on. I couldn't even describe what USB to SD card adapter was over the phone :3

So yeah, is errcode=-4 for certain games fixable, and are cheap micro SD cards from dealextreme.com likely to work without hiccups?
Yeah, it would be way easier to just buy two Acekards or DStwos.

I'm not sure what causes the problem, try asking here since you're using Wood/Ysmenu (right?)

And it's never a good idea to buy SD cards off Chinese sites, try newegg.com instead - lots of people use it, it's safe and has genuine cards for a good price.

EDIT: @springsnow - How? I've never heard of that before. You can't damage it by anything that you put on it (the only thing are brickers which are very rare and those brick your DS, not the flashcart) from what I know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1