Setting up a Wii usb HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Grimm, Jul 20, 2012.

Jul 20, 2012

Setting up a Wii usb HDD by Grimm at 5:11 AM (5,737 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Grimm
    OP

Newcomer Grimm Advanced Member

United States
    I've gone through the forums a bit looking and also googled this a few times without much luck so here goes...

I have a 4.3u wii, softmodded with ModMii. I installed USB loader as part of the soft mod. I have a 250gb USB hdd that i'd like to use to run backups but i'm not sure how to set up the drive to get it working. I have a few .img and .wbfs files i've made of my wii games to try to get them to run but the drive doesn't even appear when I plug it in. USB channel says 'please attach a USB drive.'

Can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get my HDD formatted and set up please?

Thanks!

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    one big fat32 primary partition

3. Grimm
    OP

United States
    I have formatted my drive to fat32 and I followed the custom tutorial from ModMii. Basically you just drag and drop the files that ModMii creates to the root of your drive and then put your .wbfs files into the wbfs folder. When I choose the USB channel it has a picture of a disc and a drive and it says 'Please connect a USB drive.' Then when I click start it freezes on a screen that looks like all the buttons on a Wii remote.

I've tried this with two different drives and I get the same result. I'm using a Maxtor One Touch 250gb external hard drive. The other drive I tried is a PNY 8gb memory stick.

4. PsyBlade

Germany
    make sure you connect the drive directly to the bottom usb port
    make sure you use MBR not GPT
    try a different loader

5. Grimm
    OP

United States
    I tried both USB ports with the same results. I have tried the USB channel that comes with ModMii, USB Loader GX and CFG Configurable Backup Loader with the same results as well.

What are MBR and GPT and how can I tell which i'm using? Can can I change to MBR if it is GPT right now?

6. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    It's possible it might need more power than it can get over a single USB port. Does the drive have one of those goofy two pronged USB cables and/or an AC adapter that you could use to get it more power?

7. Grimm
    OP

United States
    No it has a single USB cable (USB to the Wii and something else on the other side..) and an AC adapter that plugs into the wall for power.

The problem seems to be that I can't get my Wii to recognize the drive. It just doesn't see it regardless of what loader I try...

8. Grimm
    OP

United States
    Well i've tried using WiiFlow and NeoGamma as well as a few other tips and tricks i've read after googling the problem. For example having the HDD plugged in while the Wii is off (red led) and then turning it on, etc. I've also made sure to turn off the sleep mode feature on the HDD and i've reformatted several times with no luck.. If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome otherwise I just wasted $35 on this HDD...

9. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Could be your drive is just not compatible, not every one is.
    This is my setup:
    320GB USB powered external drive (verbatim) formatted to FAT32 ( entire drive) using FAT32 GUI Formatter
    Using CFG loader, from modmii as my usb loader.
    All games were added to drive using Wii Backup Manager, from PC to USB.
    Your USB loader may not find the partition, in that case, it will ask what partition to load, choose FAT32 or usb_1
    Hope this helps.......

10. Grimm
    OP

United States
    Does it make a big difference if I use FAT32 GUI Formatter or another formatter? Also does it matter how I put the games on the drive?

So far I have been formatting it with Windows formatter and just drag and drop the games on....

11. ddetkowski

United States
    There are many programs out to format with, that work. I told you MY setup, which works.
    It DOES matter how you put the games on the drive, thats why I stated to use Wii Backup Manager
    to transfer from PC to USB. You cannot just drag and drop your games there without going into more detail.
    Follow my info, or keep trying your way, and not play wii games.....

12. PsyBlade

Germany
    You sure that you used fat32 as filesystem not exfat or ntfs?
    Because since Windows XP it refuses to CREATE a fat32 > 32GiB (political reason, push ntfs/exfat).
    And Win9x/2k is really uncommon these days.

Larger fat32 still work fine in XP and onward. You just need some 3rd party tool to create it.

13. Grimm
    OP

United States
    dd I'll try mimicking your setup and see if it helps..

Psy - i'm certain that i'm using FAT32. I'm also on Windows 7 so i'm not sure if those issues associated with earlier versions of windows still exist in this version.

Now I have to try to figure out how to use Wii Backup Manager which I tried before with much confusion.. :(

14. ddetkowski

United States
    WBM = once you install on PC, run it, you'll have tabs along the top, choose drive 1 and find your usb. goto files, choose add, find your game on your PC, pick transfer, it will make a folder on your already formatted drive called wbfs. this is the folder WBM automatically puts the games in, in the correct format, no actions needed by user. it'll take a couple minutes to transfer, once done, plug in and play

15. Grimm
    OP

United States
    Well I tried the set ups mentioned.. Formatted with FAT32 GUI Formatter, added games with Wii Backup Manager and tried loading with Configurable USB Loader, WiiFlow and USB Loader DX all with no luck. I also tried another smaller 4gb thumb drive and an 8gb SDHC card in a USB adapter, same setup with no luck..

I think its the HDD i'm trying to use. They must not be compatible. I know I can take the HDD out of this external drive case and buy a new enclosure for it but i'm hesitant to spend more money on stuff if it won't fix the problem... Thanks for your help guys