Seriously wondering

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Xuphor, Aug 27, 2011.

Aug 27, 2011

Seriously wondering by Xuphor at 2:58 AM (1,262 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    [​IMG]

Are there really people dumb enough to fall for these kinds of ads? It honestly seems to me like if they were dumb enough to fall for that, they wouldn't be smart enough to know how to use the internet.
    Does anyone know anyone else that are this dumb? Have you heard of anyone that fell for these kind of ads? etc.

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    You'd be surprised by the amount of people that do fall for it.

3. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    no. though i only know a few people.

4. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    unfortunately, there r a lot of stupid people out there. how else can justin bieber's popularity be explained?

5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the above example wouldn't work since with most cards, you need a CSC (security code).

And some people are ignorant enough to fall for scams like these.

6. someonewhodied

Member someonewhodied Lazy Person

United States
    We don't hate him because he is famous. He is famous because we hate him.

Also, you may want to spell correctly and actually spell out words.

7. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    because of one word in accordance with text-talk??

and, people hate bieber, because the music industry said he was important with no regard for music fans. a lot of people fell for it much like with the kardashians or paris hilton. being surrounded by such inept, foolish, naive beings has me deeply concerned for the future of society.

8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    He's got the Canadian touch, just like Hockey, Rush, and CFL.

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Here's the way I see it; Common sense, some people have none, some have had it taught out of them, and then some people are just freaking stupid. THOSE are the people who will be suckered by an ad like that.

I still don't understand why something like "the internet police" has not been formed to stop that kind of stuff. You know, a site you could report nefarious or outright illegal net shenanigans to......of course, something like that would absolutely KILL the internet for a great deal of people, like software pirates, for example. [​IMG]

But still.....I remember trying to search (many years ago) on info about Need For Speed and some child pron popped up in my face. I mean NASTY little-under-developed-kid type stuff that was seriously disturbing, and I thought to myself, "There should be someone I could report that URL to directly", to get those bastards busted and shut down. I should have been able to type "www.internetpolice.org" or "www.internet911.org" (or something like that) and post the URL to report them.

Why isn't there something like that? Or IS there, and I just don't know about it?

10. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, some people do fall for it. Such as 80+ year old grandmas who've never used the internet before. But in this day and age, most people fortunately know about internet scams. Regardless, whoever made that ad is an a--hole - a REALLY stupid a--hole.

Internet Police? The only thing I can think of is "Web Sheriff". Heard about them on TPB's "Legal threats" section.

11. junkerde

Banned junkerde Banned

United States
    hahaha that was so smart, a justin beiber joke, i am laughing very hard.

12. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i cant tell you how many times i had to tell my mom to stop clicking the ads saying you have mail and such.

heck, some ads/pages can be very convincing.

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The only people who would fall for it would be, I imagine, technologically inexperienced and naive users. I mean, it's easy for us to laugh it off, but for someone in their 60's or 70's (for example) who've managed to avoid the internet, they might be caught off guard.

Anyone else, though, really doesn't have an excuse.

14. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I lol'd IRL at the pic.
    [​IMG]

15. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I could be wrong but I don't recall ever needing to input the security code when making a purchase online, just if I want to attach my credit card to an account like paypal or PSN. You can make purchases with just the number and expire date.

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I think I found a page that explains this phenomenon; I just need to confirm it's me using my National Insurance number and I'll get right back to you on that. [​IMG]

17. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    If only 0.01% of people are stupid enough to fall for that, say 50,000 visit the site. That's a lot of cash right?

18. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    Funny I run into this topic...just yesterday I got a call from an 800 number. It was the gym (24-Hr Fitness) saying that I need to renew my membership because it was about to expire. The woman on the phone said I could renew it immediately by credit card and asked for my credit card number. I wasn't comfortable with giving my credit card number to someone who called me from an unknown number, so I told her I'd call them back to give my CC number. I went to their website and called the number there. I guess the phone call was legit, but you can never be too safe.

19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    That's weird though... if it worked at all like my gym does, they should have your card on file. I go to Planet Fitness, and when you register there you HAVE to give them some sort of a card or check, and then they automatically deduct your dues monthly.

20. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    They didn't have my card on file because when I first enrolled, I paid in cash. I didn't have a credit card at the time and the sales rep transferred me over to a manager who authorized the cash transaction. Guess they didn't want to lose me as a potential customer just because I didn't have a card.