Hacking Separate Gamecube Memory Cards per Game?

Morom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given what a pain in the ass it is to manage virtual Gamecube memory cards, it would be nice if Devolution or the backup loaders allowed you to have a separate memcard.bin per Gamecube game directory. That way, each game would have its own and little chance of ending up with a full card. Since each Gamecube card is only 512K, it is something that I would gladly give up storage for.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is an easy solution to your question.. go and buy some memory cards. an use those for each game. there isn't really a point to what your asking.
seeing how each game has it's own save anyway. there is no way 1 game takes up all that space.
cause at each launch of said game it reads off the same file the game was saved. not a different file each time.

Morom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the USB Loader GX devs told me that you just need to turn on "individual" in the Devolution Memory card setting, and it will use memcard_GameID6.bin in the game's folder. Weird that they answered, considering there was no point to my question.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you didn't expect an answer, why make a question to begin with?

I answer to people, that's all.
You took the time to make an issue, I took the time to answer it. nothing weird there.
You would probably had to first check if your suggestion wasn't already available in the loaders, particularly the one you chose to create an issue for.
But I supposed you didn't use the latest version and wasn't aware of it so I answered that the option was already included.

Also, each GameCube card is not of a fixed size, devolution supports multiple memory card sizes up to 16MB.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
oh, you are right. I guess I didn't read all his post ;)

just a precision about the memory card.
On old version of the loader, it "filled" the memory card size to 16MB, but due to compatibility it has been limited.
Now, if a memcard.bin file already exists it's kept at the existing size, but if no card exists it's making a big one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime