Homebrew Sega Saturn Emulation

Nasedase

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is sega saturn emulation on wii? I went on homebrew browser and saw Yabause and I'm interested. Very interested.

also what are some essential saturn games?

zeedds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my best advice is to get a saturn and a modchip. i seriously doubt it will ever b emulated properly on the wii. believe me i wish it was since the wiimote works on a hd tv but the saturn lightguns dont and the component output would b sweet.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad. Saturn would be something I'd love to play on my Wii.

But then again, I can see how people could have difficulty with it. Even back when developers were making games for the Saturn, they complained about how confusing and inconvenient the architecture was.

kevenz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saturn on the Wii just can't be possible at decent speed.

I mean....... gameboy advance doesn't even play at full speed yet.

VicViper206

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nasedase said:
How is sega saturn emulation on wii?

LMAO!

Anyway I'd recommend Shining Force III Scenario 1 - 3 (I think they've all been translated by now), Panzer Dragoon ZWEI, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Virtua On, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Burning Rangers, Princess Crown, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Die Hard Arcade, Rayman, Legend of Oasis, Fighters Megamix, and most of the Capcom fighters (of course if you're gonna dip into emulation on the PC instead of an actual Saturn and disc swapping or mod chipping you might as well just use MAME for the fighters). I'm sure there are plenty that slip my mind but this should get you started.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kevenz said:
gameboy advance doesn't even play at full speed yet.

???

It plays everything at full speed that I've tried. Hell, you can even fastforward in games. Or so I thought.

But yeah, Saturn emulation is pretty bleak on the Wii. N64 and PSX emulation is pretty decent though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr.Killa said:
what was sega saturn? is it a 3D console?

It was Sega's competitor to the N64 and the PSX. Obviously it didn't do so well, seeing as the PSX was enormously successful and the N64 sprouted some of the most iconic and highly praised games ever made. It still has some good games, though.

Kerian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No my good sir. The saturn is the predecessor of the dreamcast, sucessor of the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). The saturn was released 1994 in Japan ind 1995 in the US, 7 months before the Playstation. However weak launch games, many games left untranslated, poor markting, doomed the Saturn before it's release. Also Sega angered walmart and the like, and they banned all sega products from their shops. I should note that Saturn was overpriced, a mistake Sony repeated with the Playstation 3. Guess people never learn.

Hence it was even harder for sega to sell the DC later.

also, the best Saturn emu is SSF .

Games I can recommend Shining Force, Virtua-On, Panzer Dragoon 1-2, Wachenroder. For the latter I recorded a Video on Youtube with sbutitles
Youtube Video Wachenroder
This Japanese game was so popular in the west that there's a full English translation of the script on GameFaqs. A rare Steampunk game.

Also I recommend this hilarious video on the Sega Saturns Japan mascot, Segata Sanshiro. As the Saturn was dying in the US and Japan, Sega Japan came up with Segata Sanshiro, a master of all forms of martial arts who devoted his life to video games. While he is punching the butttons of his controllers (yes punching, like a boss) and doing exercises with a huge 1000 kiligramm Saturn on his back he even has some spare time to beat up everyone whos not into serious Saturn gaming, gender doesn't matter.

History of Seaga Sanshiro

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kerian said:
what the heck? the saturn is the predecessor of the dreamcast, sucessor of the Sega Gensisi (Mega Drive). the saturn was released 1994 in Japan ind 1995 in the US, 7months before the paylstation. however weak launch games, many games left untranslated. poor markting, the saturn was doomed. Also Sega angered walmart and the like, and they banned all sega products from their shops.

hence it was even harder ofr sega to sell the DC later.
I see, sorry for being dumb there.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Kerian @ Mar 2 2010, 03:52 PM) Also I recommend this hilarious video on the Sega Saturns Japan mascot, Segata Sanshiro. As the Saturn was dying in the US and Japan, Sega Japan came up with Segata Sanshiro, a master of all forms of martial arts who devoted his life to video games. While he is punching the butttons of his controllers (yes punching, like a boss) and doing exercises with a huge 1000 kiligramm Saturn on his back he even has some spare time to beat up everyone whos not into serious Saturn gaming, gender doesn't matter.
Yes I remember that one, I LOL'd when I first saw it. Also, just a tip, you might want to remove the youtube.com/watch?v= part from the youtube tags to make sure the videos actually work.

Kerian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nobody is blessed with the gift or curse to know everything there is to know in this world, so, don't worry
smile.gif

Oh and, the DC was released 1999. saturn games were produced in Japan till 2000. it died in the US in 1998 and soon after in Europe.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip with the watch string remove for videos!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OOPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Saturn has, historically, been a lot tricker to emulate well than either the PSX or the N64 due to its rather weird and complex hardware design.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway