Sega Saturn Emulation

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Nasedase, Feb 10, 2010.

Feb 10, 2010

Sega Saturn Emulation by Nasedase at 7:44 PM (2,651 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Nasedase
    OP

Newcomer Nasedase Advanced Member

United States
    How is sega saturn emulation on wii? I went on homebrew browser and saw Yabause and I'm interested. Very interested.

also what are some essential saturn games?

2. zeedds

Member zeedds GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my best advice is to get a saturn and a modchip. i seriously doubt it will ever b emulated properly on the wii. believe me i wish it was since the wiimote works on a hd tv but the saturn lightguns dont and the component output would b sweet.

3. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    It's too bad. Saturn would be something I'd love to play on my Wii.

But then again, I can see how people could have difficulty with it. Even back when developers were making games for the Saturn, they complained about how confusing and inconvenient the architecture was.

4. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Or play sega saturn games on SSF emulator for PC... For now. Its working great! You need faster computer.

5. kevenz

Member kevenz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Saturn on the Wii just can't be possible at decent speed.

I mean....... gameboy advance doesn't even play at full speed yet.

6. VicViper206

Newcomer VicViper206 Member

United States
    LMAO!

Anyway I'd recommend Shining Force III Scenario 1 - 3 (I think they've all been translated by now), Panzer Dragoon ZWEI, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Virtua On, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Burning Rangers, Princess Crown, Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Die Hard Arcade, Rayman, Legend of Oasis, Fighters Megamix, and most of the Capcom fighters (of course if you're gonna dip into emulation on the PC instead of an actual Saturn and disc swapping or mod chipping you might as well just use MAME for the fighters). I'm sure there are plenty that slip my mind but this should get you started.

7. zeedds

United States
    dont ferget all the great shmups

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    ???

It plays everything at full speed that I've tried. Hell, you can even fastforward in games. Or so I thought.

But yeah, Saturn emulation is pretty bleak on the Wii. N64 and PSX emulation is pretty decent though.

9. Dr.Killa

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    what was sega saturn? is it a 3D console?

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It was Sega's competitor to the N64 and the PSX. Obviously it didn't do so well, seeing as the PSX was enormously successful and the N64 sprouted some of the most iconic and highly praised games ever made. It still has some good games, though.

11. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    AFAIK Saturn is the American name for the Dreamcast.
    EDIT: And yes, dreamcast is a 3d console.

12. Kerian

Member Kerian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    No my good sir. The saturn is the predecessor of the dreamcast, sucessor of the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). The saturn was released 1994 in Japan ind 1995 in the US, 7 months before the Playstation. However weak launch games, many games left untranslated, poor markting, doomed the Saturn before it's release. Also Sega angered walmart and the like, and they banned all sega products from their shops. I should note that Saturn was overpriced, a mistake Sony repeated with the Playstation 3. Guess people never learn.

Hence it was even harder for sega to sell the DC later.

also, the best Saturn emu is SSF .

Games I can recommend Shining Force, Virtua-On, Panzer Dragoon 1-2, Wachenroder. For the latter I recorded a Video on Youtube with sbutitles
    Youtube Video Wachenroder
    This Japanese game was so popular in the west that there's a full English translation of the script on GameFaqs. A rare Steampunk game.

Also I recommend this hilarious video on the Sega Saturns Japan mascot, Segata Sanshiro. As the Saturn was dying in the US and Japan, Sega Japan came up with Segata Sanshiro, a master of all forms of martial arts who devoted his life to video games. While he is punching the butttons of his controllers (yes punching, like a boss) and doing exercises with a huge 1000 kiligramm Saturn on his back he even has some spare time to beat up everyone whos not into serious Saturn gaming, gender doesn't matter.

History of Seaga Sanshiro

13. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    Yes I remember that one, I LOL'd when I first saw it. Also, just a tip, you might want to remove the youtube.com/watch?v= part from the youtube tags to make sure the videos actually work.

14. Kerian

Member Kerian GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Nobody is blessed with the gift or curse to know everything there is to know in this world, so, don't worry [​IMG]

Oh and, the DC was released 1999. saturn games were produced in Japan till 2000. it died in the US in 1998 and soon after in Europe.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip with the watch string remove for videos! [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. OOPMan

Newcomer OOPMan Member

South Africa
    The Saturn has, historically, been a lot tricker to emulate well than either the PSX or the N64 due to its rather weird and complex hardware design.

16. zeedds

United States
    Segata Sanshiro is great. he even has his own Saturn game.