Hacking SDUSB Loader v1.5 games crashing

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi after some searching I found that my first HDD enclosure was incompatible so I had to get the following one.

AKASA HDD Enclosure!

But now I have encountered some problems, when I run any game it seem to work at first then it would crash at random times, like it would crash about half way into the PAL Super Smash Brother Brawl intro, I have tried using the USB loader 1.5 official release and other third party versions, any idea on what might be the problem?

I was reading that some people say that the hard drive goes to sleep mode or something could this be the problem?

Please let me know, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Wii system menu 3.2E PAL
cIOS36 rev10

games are all PAL and full (unmodified)

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the replay, but is it really a spindown problem? Sometime it would crash after the wiimote warning (about 5sec later) and other time it would crash 1 or 3 minutes later, I have tried to keep the Hard drive active by running the submission videos in Super Smash Brother Brawl so that the Hard Drive would not spindown but for some reason it still crash/freeze??

Any other suggestion?

thanks

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all, this thing is driving me crazy, I have tried to follow all the suggested solution found on the link of the above post, but still I am having problems of games freezing/hanging on any version of USB loader I have tried, and believe me i have tried all version, I even rolled back to cIOS rev9 still to no avail.

I have even got SDUSB Loader v1.5 to install Mario kart wii and Super Smash Brothers brawl both PAL version and originals, through the Wii SDUSB Loader v1.5 to the HDD Mario kart took something like 20 minutes to install and SSBB took 25~30 minutes, both successfully installed but both still crash/freeze randomly, I assume that it is not a HDD spindown/sleep problem as SDUSB Loader v1.5 installed the games for a good 50 minutes without any spindown/sleep problem, and the games crash/freeze randomly even though there is a continuous stream of data used for the videos/CGI movies.

Any idea what is wrong? Come on hdhacker I really need your help since you were the one that made the exhaustive trouble shoot.

Any help from anyone is welcome

For reference, the easiest way to find out if your enclosed is compatible is after you have installed cIOS rev9 and you have formatted your HDD to WBFS, connect it to the wii and load SDUSB Loader if the loader crash/freeze/hangs at the mounting device screen 30sec then your enclosure is not compatible, simple, this happened to me so I got the AKASA enclosure but now I am getting these problem.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try a different USB loader? Did you try installing from an ISO on your PC instead of the Wii? Are you positive Wiconnect24 is off?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it is a spindown problem or a usb network adaptor/setting problem, always is. Just turn off spindown and try again
while installing games the HD will not spindown.
And unless they are originals do not install games using the wii itself, use the pc tools even if it's a burned backup. (wbfsmanager e.g.)
please read http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=155524&st=0

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the reply.

I always installed it from the pc using WBFS manager but when I found that the games crash/freeze I then tried to install the same game using the wii method I am positive that wii 24connect is off/disabled as my system menu is 3.2E and to enable wii 24connect I would need to update, (I would like to keep the loop holes of this old 3.2E update so I am not updating, so wii 24connect is disabled)

As for the usb network adaptor/setting problem, I am using wireless WI-FI connection, I don’t have a usb network adaptor so the setting tab for LAN is greyed out if I’m not mistaken so this couldn’t be the problem, I have done a full FAT32 format then used WBFS manager to format the Hard drive to WBFS, would it be better to use USB loader VXX to format the hard drive from FAT32 to WBFS?

I have tried both USB ports on the wii but to no avail same thing happens.

Found at this GBA temp link GBAtemp_USB_Loader_Releases

I have tried the following version of the loader

Official USB Loader Releases Waninkoko's USB Loader V1.0, 1.1, 1.3, 1.5

And 3rd Party USB Loader Releases versions Wii Cover Flow RC2Update, USB Loader by Brisma 1.5s mod 0.3 and Configurable USB Loader (+GUI) V30, uLoader by Hermes 1.7 all give the same result oh and I booted then using the HBC not as a WAD/ Forwarder channel, my HBC is kind of out dated could this be the problem?.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks for the help

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mentioned you used the ISO method at first. Can you try getting the ISO from a different source? Are you sure you aren't using the NTSC version on a PAL wii?

I have an NTSC Wii, so maybe there are issues with the PAL version. Can anyone confirm?

This is a longshot, but did you check to see if there is a firmware update for the hard drive you are using? Some Seagate SATA drives had issues with certain controllers that were fixed by a firmware upgrade.

One other thing to rule out the hard drive would be to use a USB Flash Drive. Do you have one you can use to test?

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I forgot to mention last time, I have a wiikey2 and wiiclip V14 installed on my wii, could this be affecting it?

The HDD enclosure that I posted a link to on my first post is the exact one that I have; it supports both PATA and SATA, however I am using a old Maxtor 30GB IDE, I couldn’t find any Maxtor utility to disable the sleep/spindown, I do have a 2GB USB Flash drive, I’ll test this when I get back so that I can determine if it is my setup or the HDD/enclosure.

I have also got an WD200GB IDE on it way from scan, if I was to format this to WBFS and install it to my AKSA enclosure do you think it would work any better?

And lastly do you think Waninkoko's would ever implement commands to USB Loader that spinup/wakeup hard drives in future versions?

Thanks for the help

Nintendo101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eureka!!!!!!!!!!! I found what the problem was, hdhacker you need to add this to your guide thing as part of your troubleshoot thing.

I formatted my HDD inside the enclosure with Administrative Tools divice management to FAT 32, then I connected the Hard drive enclosure to the Wiis first USB port, then I got Waninkoko's USB Loader v1.5 to format the hard drive to WBFS and then I installed SSBB PAL original not backup using the wii, after all this it still crashed so on to the next step.

I opened my AKASA HDD enclosure and had a look at what the Hard drive jumper was set to (CS/Cable Select, Slave, Master), I found that the jumper was set as CS/Cable Select so I changed it to Master, and Eureka all the games I tried work perfectly without any hang/crash/freezing, I have also tried to set it as Slave and all the games I tried work perfectly without any hang/crash/freezing as well.

Now I am not sure about SATA but if you are having hanging/crashing/freezing problems on your IDE hard drive then try to change the jumper setting and see if that fix your problem.

If your external/USB hard drive is old (like you purchase it 2002/2003) then most likely it has an IDE Hard drive in the enclosure, open it and try change the jumper setting and see if that fix your problem.

maybe its just me but it look like games are loading faster on Waninkoko's USB Loader v1.5 cIOS rev9 then the other loaders (
happy.gif
)

I hope this info helped others and hdhacker you need to add this to your troubleshoot thing, you never know this may work for others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1