SD interface really slow ?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by pachura, Oct 29, 2011.

Oct 29, 2011

SD interface really slow ? by pachura at 1:48 PM (1,056 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Isn't it a bit strange that all the operations involving reading/writing to SD card seem to be really slow ?

E.g. 3DS startup time is already quite long, and even after the main menu shows up, you still have to wait a second or two until icons for downloaded titles appear...

The same for Nintendo Video. When you start this application, it displays "Checking SD card..." for a few good seconds. But c'mon, all it needs to do is merely check existence of 4 downloaded files on the SD card. It should take microseconds.

One explanation might be that they've intentionally crippled the SD interface on the hardware level so it could not be used for pirating retail games - i.e., so data could never be transferred from SD card as fast as from a game card.

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    well considering that they all load at once, it's not that bad.
    Now if they loaded one at a time each one taking longer for the file size...THAT would be a problem

3. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i donno about you, but my SD loading time is pretty fast.... i did put in my 4GB sd card when i got my 3DS, class 4 i think though.

4. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

What file size ? They are only loading game icons, not full games.
    The same goes for Nintendo Video - only 4 thumbnails of 4 videos are loaded, not full videos. So why the hell does it take so (relatively) long ?

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It isn't just reading the SD card. It has to analyze the data to make sure they are valid. They are signed after all.

6. Beige

Member Beige GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not every card is the same, though. They may list their class speed, but not every card will match. I got two 16GB Class 4 cards from the same batch and the same company. Both cards have a noticeable difference in storage and speed. One typically formats to 15.9GB and one goes to 15.1GB.