Sd cards

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by johand, Dec 10, 2013.

1. johand
    OP

johand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2013
    Belgium
    Hello,

i have modded my wii with a 256Mb SD card. A 2Gb SD card was recommended, but i didn' t have one. In what cases it should be bigger than 256Mb,

is it still possible to copy/paste (are there any hidden files/folders?) the content from the 256Mb SD card to a new 2Gb SD card and just switch cards? Should everything keep working?

Thx, Johan

2. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    The main thing you'd need a larger card for is the 512MB back up of the NAND in the hacking process - a good safety net to have. A gig would suffice if you can't find a 2GB one.
    And no, there are no hidden folders/files.

3. johand
    OP

johand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2013
    Belgium
    Thx.
    Well i have not taken a nand backup, so lucky me that all still works. Is it a good idea to do so now, on hacked wii, or is it too late now to have good nand backup?

4. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    It's not 2 late. Your wii is working so the nand contains a working image.
    Besides that image, a backup will also get you the console specific keys.

If your nand becomes corrupt, and the wii refuses to boot, you can't extract those keys anymore.

5. johand
    OP

johand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2013
    Belgium
    OK. i'll take a backup a soon as possible.

Is there a manual what to do with the backed up nand when the console refuses to boot. What should i do then?

And what about the consoles specific keys, what are they and what should i do with them before its too late, extract?

6. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2011
    Belgium
    The console specific keys are part of the backup file. (And stored in a separate file as well)
    Older wii's had an option to install bootmii@boot2. This allowed the restore of the nand backup, even when the nand contents were corrupted.
    Ninty fixed the bug that made it possible. Due to that, newer wii's only allow to install bootmii as ios (254)

On such wii's, if the nand becomes corrupt, all you can do is restore it's contents with a hardware programmer.
    Deadly Foez (a member of gbatemp) was most experienced in this procedure.
    Desoldering such a fine pitch chip is not something I recommend as first soldering experience.

So, with an old wii (bootmii@boot2) you can restore the nand backup
    when this isn't possible and you corrupt things, you might need the hardware solution.

There are type of bricks that can be fixed with software. You might also need the backup for that, and you sure need the console specific keys.