Homebrew SD Card Problems!

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After turning on my Wii after a couple months, I tried opening the Homebrew Channel. No apps showed up. I pressed 1 and tried to select the SD card.
And suddenly...
Exception (DSI) occurred!

In the System Menu, attempting to see what's on the SD card displayed the dreaded "The device inserted in the SD Card Slot can't be used" message.

I was using a SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC card with a microSD to SD adapter (also SanDisk).
Formatting and copy-pasting the files didn't help.

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda surprised that no one has answered yet. I thought someone would care to reply, but nope. I'll just wait here.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Format it to fat32 if u haven't tried that already

Or try another sd card or fat32 hdd

Then run a syscheck and share
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

If none of this works, can u check your hbc info by pressing home and looking in the top right corner (iirc). If this is outdated and u can't launch anything from the hbc, then just resoftmod directly from an exploit to update the hbc, etc

Modmii is your friend if u need assistance

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format it to fat32 if u haven't tried that already

Or try another sd card or fat32 hdd

Then run a syscheck and share
https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

If none of this works, can u check your hbc info by pressing home and looking in the top right corner (iirc). If this is outdated and u can't launch anything from the hbc, then just resoftmod directly from an exploit to update the hbc, etc

Modmii is your friend if u need assistance

1. It was already formatted as FAT32.
2. Don't have any other SD cards around.
3. The syscheck tool I used can't save to USB devices, so that's out. Unable to upload it, either.
4. Pretty sure HBC is up to date.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the CARD, NOT the Wii itself.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. It was already formatted as FAT32.
2. Don't have any other SD cards around.
3. The syscheck tool I used can't save to USB devices, so that's out. Unable to upload it, either.
4. Pretty sure HBC is up to date.

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the CARD, NOT the Wii itself.
Not sure if this 'll help, but recently i ran into a similar problem, when i booted the Wii and the sd card couldn't be read, i took it out cleaned the contacts with some rubbing alcohol, put it back in and it worked.

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this 'll help, but recently i ran into a similar problem, when i booted the Wii and the sd card couldn't be read, i took it out cleaned the contacts with some rubbing alcohol, put it back in and it worked.
I actually tried that, no dice.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually tried that, no dice.
Ok, plug it in your PC and see if it gets detected, if not could be the sd card adapter slider is in lock mode even if it doesn't look like it, test with another just to make sure. Also re-test the sd card even if you have done it before with h2test, format it and copy your sd card content and test again on your Wii.

Last edited by CoolMe,

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, plug it in your PC and see if it gets detected, if not could be the sd card adapter slider is in lock mode even if it doesn't look like it, test with another just to make sure. Also re-test the sd card even if you have done it before with h2test, and format it.
It does come up on the computer, and currently am testing it with F3 (which should be good enough, since H2testw isn't available on macOS)

Also, I do NOT have any other adapters around, so I CANNOT test the card with another adapter.

Last edited by Yoshi128k,

Yoshi128k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Bought a new SD card at Walmart, copied my "private" directory backup, and it showed up on the Wii. It was the card after all!

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Bought a new SD card at Walmart, copied my "private" directory backup, and it showed up on the Wii. It was the card after all!
You still need to test the new card if you can(not sure the equivalent of h2test in MacOS), but again just to make sure. Fake cards are everywhere, even you looked at comparisons between geniune vs. fake online you can still have a hard time, due to different packaging, series/versions... Etc

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what all the private folder does, but one thing it does is it's where you store the data.bin files for transferring saves to and from the system, the official way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs