SD Card Options

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jmhannz, Apr 13, 2017.

1. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    I currently have a 32GB card but I am filling up quickly, looking to get a step up to 64GB, not 128GB as I hear they can run slower or corrupt saves etc?...

I currently have a 32gb evo+ sd card, looking to upgrade to something, BestBuy has 64 and 128 on sale, whats the best? I don't want corrupt files or the card to last a year :|.

Last edited by jmhannz, Apr 13, 2017
  2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    128 are as good as 64, as long as you buy them in store. corruptions only happen when its a fake.
    that said, unless you want to keep every single game you played forver, 64 will be more than enough.
    unless the 128 card is only a few bucks more. then you might as well go for it.
    just make sure to format it to fat32 before moving your files to the new card
    use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm for windows

3. jmhannz
    OP

jmhannz GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2017
    United States
    thank you, and 3DS obviously needs a class 10, but looking at like example. I have a 32GB EVO+ right now, if I get a 128GB regular Evo, would that be a big difference for gameplay, whats a recommended card that doesnt lag everyones games out for 128GB or 64GB
    edit: now I am looking at 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus, for $43 sounds like a pretty decent deal...

Last edited by jmhannz, Apr 13, 2017
  4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    class is really not that important. for one, finding lower class cards is really hard, and class only has an impact during transfer of files and cias from pc to card.
    the 3ds sd card slot itself is a huge bottleneck one way or another, meaning there's a point where a quicker card doesn't do anything anyway.

there shouldn't be any serious difference in gameplay, at worst, millisecond differences in loading times.

really, in the grand scheme of things where you probably saved hundreds on games, paying 30, 40 or even 80$ for an sd really doesn't make much of a difference.
    just go to a real electronics store to buy it to avoid fakes (ebay is overrun by them and even amazon has unwittingly sold fakes as originals at one time or another)

jmhannz likes this.