SD Card for RxTools?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Francesca, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Francesca
    OP

Francesca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    The SD Card that came with my O3DS has only 2 GB of space. My other SD Card (on another 3DS console I own, on which I could never run cfw because it's always been on the latest firmware) has 4 GB, which has always been enough because, well, no cfw and the .cia installations that come with it.

Assuming I may want to have more than one game installed at the same time (installing and uninstalling isn't such a difficult and/or time-consuming process, right?) and I'm curious about trying out all three storylines of Fire Emblem if, how much space should I aim for on an entirely new SD card? 8 GB, more? How much do you have?

2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Can you please avoid making multiple threads? You can always ask things in the same thread when you have people willing to help you know...

No need for a new thread for every new question.

3. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Emunand takes 1 whole GB out of it, and no 4GB SD card is exactly that, most of the times is either 3.46, 3.66, or 3.78GB if you're lucky, mostly because the rest of the memory is used by the Mini SD in order to be checked by a computer or any device, take 1GB out of it and you would have 2.66GB, Fire Emblem If Special Edition takes 1.73GB + Invisible Kingdom (522MB) would take you = 2.23GB approx, since you need the double of the size of cias, you won't be able to install it normally.

However, you can skip the size part with Socket Punch, since the .cias are installed from your computer, you will need FBI, put the Ip on Socket Punch, and let the program do the job.

4. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Unfortunately, it IS quite a time-consuming process to install cia games. I would say start with the biggest you can get.. it's much better to have extra space you don't need.

Ammako and Tony_93 like this.
  5. Francesca
    OP

Francesca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Intriguing... So something like 16 GB would work out just fine?

6. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I would suggest a 32GB, they are cheap and that's plenty of space.

7. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Last edited by tivu100, Nov 16, 2015
  8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I would recommend a 32GB, over that and they start getting pricier per GB and you don't need any more space really. On my 32GB I have about 20 games installed and that uses only a little over half. 16GB is fine if you are happy to sometimes uninstall games you're finished with.

Also, unless you want to put up with a huge amount of hassle when you get a fake card or a card that stops working mysteriously, buy from a real shop. First of all it's incredibly unlikely they'll sell you something fake or defective, second they will help you if something goes wrong and replace your card if it stops working. If you buy off ebay or Amazon resellers, you have to test cards you buy for fakeness and go through the hassle of PayPal disputes etc. so could be a long time before you get a product you can use all for only saving $5-$20.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Nov 16, 2015
  9. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I normally use 32GB, I run out of space sometimes as I have many games I like to keep installed and play whenever I want (e.g. Project Mirai DX).
    I've used 64GB and I feel quite comfortable with that, no space problems ever, but it wasn't that bad on 32GB anyway.

I think you'll be ok with 32GB, and you will feel almost claustrophobic with 16GB.

Quantumcat likes this.