Homebrew SD Card Emulation on Citra using Backup on PC???

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Backup of my Entire SD Card from December 2018...
This was right before i upgraded from 32GB to a 64GB card...

The Backup became corrupted or something because when i try to copy it onto the new 64GB Card the Console will Not even turn on...

I have since reinstalled everything and my console works just fine again... (Yes, with the 64GB card)
However, I LOST all of my SAVED games....

So Today i downloaded Citra to see if I could try to "Emulate the SD Card" by using the Backup on my PC....

So far my 2 hours of searching have come up empty if this is even possible...

Everything i find wants you to dump the saves from the Console...
However, that will not work for what im trying to do, which is to see if those save files are actually corrupted or not, because the save game data is completely different for whats currently on my console and the data i have the backup of....

The whole point of this is just to see if those save game files that i lost could be salvaged somehow... After all, on my PC the entire Backup seems completely normal... Its only when i tried to load it onto the new SD caard and fire it up is where i had problems... Maybe it had something to do with the 32GB and 64GB cards having different Storage systems... (Yes i formatted the 64GB to FAT32 BEFORE i put the Backup files on there.)(Even doing that the Console would NOT even turn on when i tried. That is why i was forced to start from Scratch and lost 200+ hours of gameplay)

Because i would love a way to find out if i could just copy and paste JUST the save files from the Backup on my PC onto my new SD card and have them work.....

I haven't just went ahead and pasted them onto the new card yet because i would hate to screw up my console AGAIN... It took me 26 hours to get it back to the point its at now... I have also accrued a new 50+ hours of gameplay.... LOL

I just really really want my save game data back....

So is what i am trying to do even possible?
I am beginning to think that it is not....

I just hope i got exactly what i'm tryin to do across and any readers understand what i'm trying to do...

Last edited by Ronanklan,

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I have an idea, let's see if it works.
Make a backup of your current SD Card.
replace the "Nintendo 3DS" Folder from your 2018 backup with the file currently on your SD card.
Tell us what happens then.
(Just a nitpick, but can you please stop with the three dots at the end of every sentence?)
Edit:I think you can emulate using the SD card https://gbatemp.net/threads/citra-sd-card-emulation.398010/

Last edited by Skirlez,

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea, let's see if it works.
Make a backup of your current SD Card.
replace the "Nintendo 3DS" Folder from your 2018 backup with the file currently on your SD card.
Tell us what happens then.
(Just a nitpick, but can you please stop with the three dots at the end of every sentence?)
edit: forgot to mention that you can NOT emulate the 3DS using the SD Card. You need to dump the actual games in order to emulate them.

Dam i am ashamed to admit that i didn't even think of doing that....

Guess I have no other option so ill let you know...

as for the 3 dots after every sentence its kind of my signature i do it without even noticing im doing it so sorry bout that... See oops

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Dam i am ashamed to admit that i didn't even think of doing that....

Guess I have no other option so ill let you know...
I edited the message, you can emulate using the SD card, but you're better off trying what i suggested before. If it doesn't work then try doing it.

Ronanklan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I sort of did what you said...

I took my Checkpoint backups from my Old Back on my PC and pasted them into the corresponding location on my new SD Card and it worked!!!

I got ALL of my old Saved game files back!! I am a happy happy boy!!

Thank you for your Help!!

Last edited by Ronanklan,

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well I sort of did what you said...

I took my Checkpoint backups from my Old Back on my PC and pasted them into the corresponding location on my new SD Card and it worked!!!

I got ALL of my old Saved game files back!! I am a happy happy boy!!

Thank you for your Help!!
Glad to help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1