Scubbed=better quality ISO?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Christopho, Dec 5, 2009.

Dec 5, 2009

Scubbed=better quality ISO? by Christopho at 2:38 AM (1,341 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Christopho
    OP

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you unscrub (uncompress) a scrubbed (compressed) wii ISO through WiiScrubber, after using WinRar to extract is the quality better (i.e. video speed, game speed, sound, load time, etc.)?

Thanks in advance~

2. TheNewbPleaser

Member TheNewbPleaser GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    well i always download scrubbed isos and they work 100% i dont c any difference

3. duy64

Member duy64 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Scrubbed just mean they swap non compressable garbage data with zeros which are compressable garbage data. Where as trimmed/riped that means something was removed and that usually the update partitions.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scrubbed isos are brickcrapped, but in general: scrubbed == data that is not used anyways is removed. The .iso is still 4.x GB, because the data should be at the end of the disc to allow faster reading. But scrubbed .isos can be compressed to their real size, while regular .isos can't be compressed under 4.x GB, even if it's Wii Play that is 200(?) MB big.

5. whysleep

Newcomer whysleep Newbie

Portugal
    How do you explain CLiiCHE's Resident Evil Archives release, compressed to 3.52 Gb? it always confused me, as it's definitely not scrubbed. I've compared the ISOs, even scrubbed it after extraction and got a much smaller ISO, one of the same size of the other scrubbed releases of the game.

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    There's no difference in 'quality'. The only difference is the speed of downloading.

And technically, scrubbing isn't just compressing. It's getting rid of useless files, then compressing.

EDIT: I just remembered: some games (dual layer) have lots of problems when scrubbed.

7. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Yes but I don't really think they can be counted as they are unique cases in my opinion. By removing half of the data, there is bound to be issues.

8. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    um, no dual layered games have issues. I have scrubbed versions of Brawl and metroid prime trilogy (the only 2 dual layers for wii), and neither have issues.