Scareware Seller Gets 4 Years

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Dec 18, 2012.

Dec 18, 2012

Scareware Seller Gets 4 Years by Rydian at 2:56 AM (1,555 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    [​IMG] Source

Glad to see another scareware backer downed, but for each one that's taken out there's still 9 more...

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I hope the benefits of his little scam were also confiscated. Because if he made $71 million and gets fined for $0.6 million, thats downright unfair.
    I hate those scarewares, so many ignorant people fall for it... not everyone is a computer expert capable of discerning a true virus from another.

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The funny part is that some legitimate anti-virus software also use scare tactics.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/syman...e-tactics-to-sell-full-version-products/66812

So who can you really trust to protect your computer?
    Well not Norton at least, they really pressure you into keeping up subscriptions when that free trial that came with your store-bought PC runs out, and guilt-trip you during the uninstallation process.

d.d.d. likes this.
  4. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah... years back I'd suggest Avira as a free AV, but it resorted to scare tactics so I stopped.

5. Thanatos Telos

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    I'd say AVG's also a good free one, but Kaspersky is the best paid one, hands down.
    EDIT: AVG does something similar, it exaggerates how fast your computer boots.
    i.e. I upgraded to Win 8 Pro and it said my computer turned on 259% faster, probably because of the OS upgrade.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    there are so many who fall prey to such software. I think also a review should be done on all 'free' antivirus and see whether they are doing what they were saying they would or not. People use them and all they do is add conduit and waste precious resources.

PS - Costello looks even more like a lion with administrators written in red

7. Rydian
    OP

United States
    There's already sites out there that review AV programs. I just don't link to them because they also do tests on which threats are caught and which ones aren't, and those are pretty misleading for various reasons.

8. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a long time now and I'm really happy with it. Zero ads, lightweight and it doesn't guilt trip you for uninstalling it. I'd recommend it to everyone. I'm also glad these scareware bastards are getting caught. I mean they unintentionally bring me business, but damn them any way.

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Wait, when? I use it daily and I've never seen anything like that.

AVG does something sucky too, it asks you for an update (which looks like a normal one) then you click the button and it switches you over to the 30day Trial for the INTERNET SECURITY package without you even noticing. Lots of computer n00bs fall for that, and I know that, since I had to stop using AVG as all my customers would call me angrily saying that the "free" antivirus I installed did expire.

Damn scammers.

10. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    While I do hate shit like this people need to open their eyes when it comes to the obvious things...

11. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    It also can't be uninstalled, and the security features can't be overriden for love or money. You need special AVG-removal software to get rid of it D:

raulpica likes this.
  12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    At this point time I almost always use the standalone uninstaller methods for any AV program and my USB drive of wonder has seen their ranks swell where before it was just the norton and mcafee ones I kept up to date.

13. linkofhyrule1

Newcomer linkofhyrule1 Newbie

United States
    Hm, perhaps the only reason avast! hasn't been mentioned yet is the lack of scheduled virus scans?
    That being said, scareware did a lot for me: breaking a second computer as a child was an excellent learning experience!

14. Coconuts 500

Newcomer Coconuts 500 Advanced Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is literally the worst mainstream anti-virus software there is out there. It's the only one that's failed AV-TEST, and consistently, too. It's placebo-ware. Do not use it if you want to actually be safe.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...ails-AV-Test-Loses-Certification-310715.shtml

15. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    4 years? For scareware? Really?

Is it too late to give the death penalty a go?

16. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yup. Double jeopardy.

Gahars likes this.
  17. dragonmaster

Member dragonmaster THE WALKER

Greece
    well my favorite is eset antivirus, but I gave microsoft essentials a good run too.
    The scareware apps are really annoying and based on fear to earn money, many have basic computer knowledge and therefore are easy victims

18. dj4uk6cjm

Member dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I use avast on one computer and then malwarebytes and mse on the other. :)

19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You are not confusing those people that call you up and say "we are from Microsoft security technical ninja department" and those fake antivirus programs are you? The former are equally despised but it is a different thing.

As for MSE looking more closely at the numbers involved (and ignoring their slightly suspect nature and leaving aside that there are no real standards for security and certainly not proper metrics for these sorts of programs) I fail to see a real problem if you have a proper security setup- whether I can quite get behind "if you have got a virus you have failed" remains to be seen but there is no issue with flanking such a program with proper access control/HIPS. For a crude and possibly broken analogy it seems like blasting such a program for failing to include a firewall.

20. Thanatos Telos

Member Thanatos Telos random stuff

United States
    To add on Norton does something weird too. I have a Mac that I use as an HTPC, I installed Norton. A few months later, I was cleaning up my hard drive and noticed something: Norton was taking up 200GB! (Not a typo!) I've never uninstalled anything with so little remorse.