Scanlines

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Bing1093, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    So lately I’ve noticed that the top screen of my N3DSXL has scanlines. But they go away when the 3D mode is on. They’re mostly noticeable when I’m playing games that make the screen smaller so I have to move my face closer, like GBC games, since I play them using the exact scaling option.

Just wanted to know why the system has scanlines, since I thought only CRTs had them?

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    This is more like an optical illusion – not real scanlines. Because you have this asymmetric resolution of 800x240 on the upper screen in 2D mode, the pixels look much finer in horizontal orientation. Any given pixel is duplicated once horizontally. It is much easier to see the individual lines than individual pixels in this mode. This effect cannot be seen on a 2DS(XL) with its 400x240 screen.

In 3D mode you get 400x240 per eye and will not notice “scanlines” but you can clearly see individual pixels like on the 2DS (on the XL this is easy even with not so good eyes).

Please excuse the image quality. My camera is bad and taking pictures of an LCD is not easy – especially in 3D mode. Plus: I have to compress them heavily before uploading. So there are jpg compression artifacts when you zoom in.
    You can see that the parallax barrier looks almost as wide as the pixels. I have to emphasize this: A normal camera gets only ONE of the two 3D-images so the 3D mode photo is nothing like looking at a 3DS with both eyes.
    Photos taken from: 3D Classics Kirby’s Adventure
    Kirby1. Kirby2.

Bing1093 and TurdPooCharger like this.
  3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    3DS has 2x more pixels horizontally than vertically. And each "second" vertical row will get enabled when you enable 3D.
    800x240 with 3D (= 400x240 + 400x240)

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  4. Bing1093
    OP

Bing1093 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for such a detailed response!

KleinesSinchen likes this.