Save file went back in time 2 saves?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ericthegreat, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Ericthegreat
    OP

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    So my gf was playing majoras mask, she puts it on today and she has gone back not 1, but 2 times she saved, and i cant figure out why or how this would happen, she was only about an hour difference in, but i saw her save, and reload her save once, this is on sysnand 4.5 with gateways newest firmware on 11.1(or whatevers newest) emunand.

Im just worried its going to happen again farther in the game.

Last edited by Ericthegreat, Oct 23, 2016
  2. omarroms

omarroms GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2002
    United States
    The Internet
    this is a problem with 3ds flashcarts and how it save. gateway saves .3ds games to the sd card when you close the game not while playing the game. (so it's good to close the game every once in a while to create the save on the sd card.) if the 3ds battery dies while the game is on or the 3ds freezes it didn't save to the sd card. this is one of the reason i switch to cia (had several saves either not saving or got corrupted), since installed games saves properly and only use .3ds version of games i don't have cia for.

Last edited by omarroms, Oct 23, 2016
    Ericthegreat likes this.
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    TL;DR for OP: with Gateway, the save is not truly saved until you press Home and quit the game. If you turn off the console while playing, anything you save is gone.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  4. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    If you convert the ROM to use a card-2 save, this is no longer an issue (although you'll need to export and re-import the save, since all changes to ROMs break saves).

Ericthegreat and Quantumcat like this.
  5. Ericthegreat
    OP

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Well I played through a few games and didnt have this problem, but I got scared and just got her a cia and transfered her save.

Quantumcat likes this.