Hardware Samsung Chromebook 2 Hardware problem.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, recently I noticed that my Samsung Chromebook 2 audio jack is starting to act up. When I use my ONN earbuds, it sounds perfectly fine... but when I use my Turtle Beach Ear Force NLa Wii U headset, the sound is extremely distorted. This only happens when the volume dial on the headset is maxed and the volume on the Chromebook is maxed. I tested the headset on another Chromebook 2 (the same model) and it worked perfectly fine without distortion. I think that I messed up the audio jack port on the Chromebook. Any ideas?

EDIT: I forgot to add that I used to use the headset on this Chromebook all the time. Also, for some reason the mic isn't being detected either.

Last edited by MrMcTiller,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"This only happens when the volume dial on the headset is maxed and the volume on the Chromebook is maxed. I tested the headset on another Chromebook 2 (the same model) and it worked perfectly fine without distortion."

That sounds less like a jack issue (I would expect audio distortion all the time, maybe getting better or worse when you jiggle or press the cable end for jack issues) and more that one of the models puts out more audio than the Wii U headset can handle. Things can change within the same model and there are a lot of places that limit headphone audio out (most of Europe does these days) in some way.

I would also have to ask if you are using the same settings as there are plenty of things which will have a nice audio boost, or attempt to normalise the audio at sound card level.

It is not impossible that trying to drive things are max volume cooked a component somewhere along the line, however I have only ever seen it for higher end audio gear that puts out real power or when trying to draw too much power from a weak device but we can leave my experiments with a car subwoofer and a home cinema DVD system for another day.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't changed any of the settings. Also, the headset worked just fine before. Now, it doesn't.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have been messing around with DIY speakers and stuff... It is very possible that I fried something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Settings can change with drivers and updates to them, and can be buried deep in menus/control panels, and in programs themselves.

I would not expect the average DIY speaker to do much. If it is something really silly or aimed at cars then sure, if it is a set of headphones or ones bundled with a DVD player you ripped the guts from then that is a different matter.

I forgot to also mention it could be the volume dial -- at max level it can be a bypass of the volume control entirely rather than through a resistor of some form. What happens when you press down on the slider/wheel?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.