Hacking Salvageable?

Fighthouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So around Halloween I decided to jump into the world of wii modding. I got myself a Wiikey, and tried to jump in and solder it to my wii. days later and after hours of frustration and cussing, the wiikey had to be thrown out and my wii board was a mess. I raised a few solder pads, and learned the mistake of exposing my 40w soldering iron to the wii board consistantly. Now all was not lost, the wii boots fine and is able to navigate through menus like I never touched it. However, When I put in original game discs, the Wii will attempt to read them for about 15 seconds and them give me a system error, and then informs me i need to reboot. I don't have any pictures of the board at the moment (maybe ill take some tonight), but does anyone have an idea of what is directly causing this issue?

It would be awesome if I could resolve this issue, because I dont have the $$$ to replace the wii, and with the Wlip coming out next month, i still should be able to mod this wii

Fighthouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess you either happened to loose some connections by "miss-soldering" or that you didn't connect the DVDdrive properly.. try to stick the DVD cable into it a bit more..?

I'm pretty sure that the dvd drive cable is in all the way, but it looks like some solder might have connected a couple of pins that go into the back of the DVD drive plastic connector. I have tried to remove it with some copper braid, but so far is has been stubborn and unsuccessful. I will probably try again later (after all this xmas mania is over), but also some of the wires (the ends) on the board that were connected to the solder points I lifted off of the board have been moving around. I'm pissed at myself for doing such a poor job, especially since I found out the Wlip is close to launch.

If I am unable to rectify my mistakes, does anyone know of someone (trustable) that could repair my Wii for a decent price?

I did find these guys
http://www.modchipman.com/wii-mod-repair-service-p-1562.html
can anyone vouch for their reputation?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?