Safest method for kids

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by grafate, Jan 23, 2017.

1. grafate
    OP

grafate GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    Thinking of my kids using the Wii U and from reading CBHC would be not a option as you have to make sure you don't format, remove the game, etc. or it will brick. Currently I have the HBL bookmarked in my browser and we launch it that way. Then from HBL load Mocha CFW and then can play the backups.

I am planning to buy a DS game and install Haxchi. From there I understand the browser is no longer needed and can just load Haxchi to load Mocha CFW.

Will this be kid proof in terms of bricks? Like if they delete the Ds game or format for a reason unknown right now the system will just boot stock?

2. mangotowel

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    Using just haxchi is fine, it wont matter if it gets deleted. You can also hold B while launching haxchi and it'll be like launching mocha.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Absolutely not.

But the more recent versions of the CBHC block accidental uninstallation of the exploited game (or reinstalling a clean copy with wupinstaller over it), plus the icon is changed to "DO NOT TOUCH" anyway, so it's not that hard to teach them the only simple rule!

Simple haxchi can be deleted safely, although it still has this anti-delete patch for convenience!

4. mangotowel

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    He's just asking if haxchi by itself is safe. You should reread the post. ;]

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Ye, what does the last line say? :)

6. mangotowel

mangotowel Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    I don't understand he is only talking about haxchi at the end of his post, he already said he wasn't going to do CBHC.
    edit. nvm saw your last line oops my bad, scrolling on mobile

Last edited by mangotowel, Jan 23, 2017
  7. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    Parental controls ?

8. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Just install Haxchi and launch Mocha everytime. Just tell your kids not to open "settings" application.

9. grafate
    OP

grafate GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback. Will try that hold B when launching Haxchi. And some of you may be parents which you know that kids don't always listen to what is being told to them. Rather be safe than having it convenient at this point.

10. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    Honestly some people give really shit advice. Try this:

Change your config .txt in haxchi to default = sysmenu (or whatever B does now - I forget, this is from memory).

Set button A to boot HBL.

That way, even if your kids click haxchi, it will just boot back to sysmenu (with sig patches). THAT is kid safe. No need to teach them to press B or anything. Only you would know to press A to get to HBL where you could have apps that kids can screw around with. But now they can't. They click haxchi - nothing happens (in their eyes).

And whoever said use haxchi to boot mocha - how stupid and pointless is that? Anyway....

Once you change config .txt you need to reinstall haxchi over the existing haxchi. No need to delete and re-download or anything. Just re-install.

That's what I do for my kids. Works a treat.

11. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    The safest option for kids would be to install games the Brazilian way.
    If they are installed you don't need any hacks anymore, just boot the Wii U and start the game.
    And there is no brick risk at all, it is nice to have Haxchi, but there are so few homebrew games and if you want to play it safe I wouldn't want to have the added risk.

12. agiler

agiler Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Install haxchi booting haxchiCFW without pressing anything.

Your kids just need to press haxchi icon and voilá