Russian vlogger gets 3.5 year sentence for playing Pokemon GO in a church

Capture.JPG

Last year, in protest to Russia's anti-blasphemy law that criminalized playing Pokémon GO in church, vlogger Ruslan Sokolovsky filmed himself catching Pokémons in Yekaterinburg’s Church of All Saints, the site where the last Emperor of Russia Nicholas II and his family were murdered in 1918, and shared the footage on his YouTube channel:

The 22-year old was then detained for two months for “inciting hatred” and “insulting religious feelings” after posting the video, and later taken to a pre-trial detention center for breaching the terms of his house arrest after the young man had posted a video on the Internet though he had been banned from using the web and mobile communications. Judgement was passed this Thursday and Sokolovsky was found guilty of all charges.

"In accordance with the expert evaluation, the court found blogger Sokolovsky guilty of inciting hatred, violating religious feelings and illegal possession of special technical means - a pen with a video camera," said judge Yekaterina Shoponyak who granted the prosecutors' wish and gave the vlogger a 3.5-year suspended sentence.

Judge Shoponyak pointed out that the 22-year old video blogger was on trial not only for playing the game in the church but also for posting several videos that offended believers. She listed "mockery of the immaculate conception," ''denial of the existence of Jesus and Prophet Muhammad" and "giving an offensive description of Patriarch Kirill," the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.

During the court hearings, Sokolovsky did not deny that he had been the author of these videos but concerning the pen with a camera, he reportedly said that not only was the pen not his, but that it wasn’t a camera at all, but instead just a light bulb.

During the interrogation of eyewitnesses, the blogger apologized to all worshippers who had complained about being offended.

What do you think of this case? Was the verdict fair in finding Sokolovsky guilty who on top of violating the country's anti-blasphemy law, additionally breached the terms of his house arrest? Or is suppressing one's freedom of expression a more serious offense?

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
He KNEW it was illegal, he RECORDED himself doing it... Gets arrested and sent to jail... Ridiculous laws or not can't say he didn't ask for it... Specially when he had broken other laws and broke his house arrest rules already... SMH...
This was said multiple times, and this is a few months old

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) I don't know why this showed up on my main paige as if it was a new article then...

2) I posted my opinion on the matter because that was how the author ended it, asking people to share their opinions in tge comments.

3) Just because other people thought the same things as me does it mean I should read thru 12 pages looking for similar comments and then avoid posting them? :rolleyes:

4) The guy was sentenced to 3.5 years, this article was posted just a few months ago... It hasn't become %100 irrelevant considering the laws are the same and guy still has 3 years plus to do in prison.

D

Deleted User

1) I don't know why this showed up on my main paige as if it was a new article then...

2) I posted my opinion on the matter because that was how the author ended it, asking people to share their opinions in tge comments.

3) Just because other people thought the same things as me does it mean I should read thru 12 pages looking for similar comments and then avoid posting them? :rolleyes:

4) The guy was sentenced to 3.5 years, this article was posted just a few months ago... It hasn't become %100 irrelevant considering the laws are the same and guy still has 3 years plus to do in prison.
Every news thread has an expiry date. No thread has a shelf life of more then 3 months (the exceptions are rare and far between and this isnt one of them) and this thread ia was on its way out...
There are only 12 pages, and even if you dont wanna read all this- jump to the last page to look at the last post before you post you own opinion...
About your 4, there are ppl who are sentenced for life. Thats not a reason to necrobump a thread about em for the rest of their lives... one of the forum's rules is to never necrobump...

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every news thread has an expiry date. No thread has a shelf life of more then 3 months (the exceptions are rare and far between and this isnt one of them) and this thread ia was on its way out...
There are only 12 pages, and even if you dont wanna read all this- jump to the last page to look at the last post before you post you own opinion...
About your 4, there are ppl who are sentenced for life. Thats not a reason to necrobump a thread about em for the rest of their lives... one of the forum's rules is to never necrobump...

Do you have a source on the 3 month thread life spam rule? Do you have an official guide list on what constitues those "exeptions" and what not? How about you also get me a source on that rule to never necrobump while you are at it?

I read all the https://gbatemp.net/help/terms and didn't find a single mention to all your imaginary rules... So if I'm wrong please point me in the directiom of those rules and I will abide to them.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a source on the 3 month thread life spam rule? Do you have an official guide list on what constitues those "exeptions" and what not? How about you also get me a source on that rule to never necrobump while you are at it?

I read all the https://gbatemp.net/help/terms and didn't find a single mention to all your imaginary rules... So if I'm wrong please point me in the directiom of those rules and I will abide to them.

From the rules
"Avoid bumping (reviving) old or new topics; they'll be replied to when they're replied to"

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the rules
"Avoid bumping (reviving) old or new topics; they'll be replied to when they're replied to"

This is not about "necrobumping" but instead people bumping threads for the sake of it... you know those people who literally type "BUMP" instead of discussing the topic.

Don't know how I missed that the first time around lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you feel laws need to be broken then you'd have all ready went and broken one. Being rebellious and all. However you remain posting on here not practicing what you preach.
I break laws I don't agree with on an a nearly daily basis.
This law isn't hurting anyone. If anything it's protecting people and giving them the peace of mind to practice their religion in a religious place without impeding upon their belief system. If the tables were turned I'm sure this kid wouldn't appreciate it if religious people came into his home or establishment and imposed their religious beliefs upon himself and those who share the space in his establishment.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelism
Free speech has its limits
No it doesn't.

As for bumping the thread, what was @Tony_93 supposed to do, make a whole new thread to comment on the topic? Don't be dumb you guys.

Reactions: Kioku and bi388

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Subtle Demise while I do agree that freedom of speech "doesn't have limits" I do agree that it should have repercussions (and it does)... I mean you can tell your boss that he should f*** himself if you want and he can tell you to look for a new job...

We also have to have in mind that this happened in a different country with different laws, freedom of speech isn't a global right.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Subtle Demise while I do agree that freedom of speech "doesn't have limits" I do agree that it should have repercussions (and it does)... I mean you can tell your boss that he should f*** himself if you want and he can tell you to look for a new job...

We also have to have in mind that this happened in a different country with different laws, freedom of speech isn't a global right.
Freedom of speech has repercussions, not limits. A person or company can treat you differently because of something you say, but unless you are threatening someone's safety, the government cannot. Hence no there is no limit to freedom of speech besides when it is an issue of safety. As for whether it's a global right, legally no, but u firmly believe it is a universal human right which means I will stand by anyone in any nation who exercises the right, legal there or not.

D

Deleted User

Avoid bumping (reviving) old or new topics; they'll be replied to when they're replied to.
Edit- sorry I just saw somebofy already said that...
Its not just the rules, thats part of the forum- people understand that replying to old threads isnt good...

Last edited by ,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Avoid bumping (reviving) old or new topics; they'll be replied to when they're replied to.

And we already covered this rule previously, this is about people who make threads and when they see no one is replying they will bump it on purpose to get more attention... "They will be replied to when they're replied to" means that people discussing the actual topic will eventually comment on it and aren't the target of the rule...

By your logic you shouldn't be making comments in new threads neither as it clearly states new topics too...

Last edited by Tony_93,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2