Rune Factory 3

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by seatab, Aug 12, 2010.

Aug 12, 2010

Rune Factory 3 by seatab at 8:27 AM (6,307 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. seatab
    OP

Newcomer seatab Member

United States
    I'm aware there is a pending english release of the game in Q4, however, I'm bored and want to fuck about with the game before then, so I've been messing about with the japanese release. I've also seen that there people consider Natsume releases to be low quality anyway.

I don't speak or read japanese, that's what Google translate is for, right? [​IMG]

Some screenshots:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

I'm mostly posting this as a interest gathering, I'm happy to toot along by myself fucking about, but I'd rather not just flat out post my really bad translation. I'm a coder, not a language guy. [​IMG]

If there is any interest (as in translation or other work), I'll dish out the tools I've developed and instructions on how to work with them in an open style.

What I've developed so far: .arc unpacker/packer, TEXT?XML converters.

2. Phoenix Goddess

Member Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

United States
    You did pretty good [​IMG]

But google translate will murder your translation.
    Always will.

At least you got this far [​IMG]

3. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    It's a nice translation [​IMG] Since the US will be released in Q4 most romhackers don't want to translate it. Can I have your tools which you have developed please? I want to learn to build them, my brother-in-law knows some programming language but he doesn't know how to build these kind of tools.

4. CocoaMac

Newcomer CocoaMac Member

United States
    I've been waiting for this title to come out in English, since it takes me far too long to read Japanese, heh. I might be inclined to make my own translation for myself if the tools are released.

5. Phoenix Goddess

United States

I hope you have rom hacking skills or know Japanese.
    I don't see why people just can't be patient and wait, by time you get half way done with the translation, the game would already be out.
    Think about all the time you would have wasted when all you had to do was wait.

6. CocoaMac

Newcomer CocoaMac Member

United States
    The tools will still be useful if I want to modify the English version. ^^

Besides, the only worth in translating something that's going to be released is in the education. There's one thing to be learning and using a language in a classroom, but to actually use it, is another thing. I can handle Japanese, but translation is a whole different ballpark- Since I'm going to take the Japanese-English translation class at my Uni anyways, it won't hurt to test the waters.

7. Phoenix Goddess

United States

You may want to try an easier game then and one that you know for sure won't be localized.
    Try one from the translation request thread.

8. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    Everytime I work on a translation I learn something, at least I get that. So I think Cocoamac can learn something from trying to translate this game eventhough he doesn't release a patch.

9. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

i think the game will be out late winter this year... its been announce a month ago.

10. seatab
    OP

Newcomer seatab Member

United States
    Got some more coding done to make my life slightly more easier.

[​IMG]

11. Phoenix Goddess

United States
    Wow, you're pretty talented [​IMG]

12. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Wow, that tool looks pretty damn good.
    I can't wait for the (U) Release either (tried the J for a few minutes and I love it).

13. .Darky

Member .Darky GBAtemp Maniac

Peru
    Dude, this looks great. If you plan to release the tool you made it would be very useful to make some edits to the english version (if possible) since Natsume has changed the names of some characters, which I dislike now. [​IMG]

14. rockerzz182

Member rockerzz182 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    do you have a download link for this translation??

15. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    I agree that the tool can be useful to some people even after the English is released. Natsume's translations are usually very glitchy or poor, so someone out there who cares enough might want to fix them up a bit.

16. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    true. this tool is superior to translation.
    if that tool could be released for multi-use then rom translating would be decreased by alot of time

17. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    no he or she is still Working on the Translation.

18. CocoaMac

Newcomer CocoaMac Member

United States
    As far as I can tell, this seems to be a topic about the hackability of Rune Factory 3, and tools that can do it, so it seems like more of a proof of concept, rather than a translation.

@megawalk: In theory, it can be multi-use, as long as other roms use the same formatting and compression as RF3. Most dev studios have their own way of managing content though. Google Translation isn't actually that bad for translating, as long as you have some knowledge of the Japanese, and are only looking for a translation- If you're looking to localize it, machine translations will actually make things harder.

19. Phoenix Goddess

United States

How does your post make any sense?
    Google Translate IS bad for translating cause it spits out things just as foreign as what you put in.

Example, Inori wanted to scare me so she told me to put this into google translate:
    ????
    Google said it means, "Carp Hearts" Wtf is a carp heart?
    when in truth, it means "First love/puppy love".

20. Inori

Member Inori GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ^ Haha, did it work?

I must disagree that Google Translation isn`t that bad. Granted, it`s better than most machine translators, but other machine translators don`t actually set the bar any higher, either. As I maintain, machine translators miss most grammatical structures, and are thus way off the mark.

I`ve got more example, just to make phoenix's head explode

???????? ??This is a test
    Translated as: Kore is a test. It automatically assumes that words in katakana are foreign.

????????????????????? ? I don't know if you can use this kind of tool to translate.
    Translated as: Know whether you can translate this tool

?????????????? ? Where are you OR where are you going (But it is in ???, honorific language)
    Translated as: How did you come to where

????????????????I slept without eating dinner.
    Translated as: I slept in a dinner Tabenai. It has problems recognizing words if they are not in a specified kanji.

Even with the appropriate kanji, the translation isn`t entirely correct ("I slept all night without eating", where there is nothing to indicate the speaker had slept all night, and left out the "dinner" part)

It comes a nightmare when slang is used, and much more difficult when it comes to phrases

Note: I am NOT opposing the project, I am opposing the use of machine translators.