Rumor: Sony announcing PSP2 on the 27th?

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
910165-sony_logo_super.jpg
QUOTE said:
VG247 has learnt that Sony it to hold a “business overview and strategy meeting” in Tokyo on January 27, and has been told that Sony will use the event as a reveal platform for PSP2.Nothing is known of the meeting’s content, but we do know that only “very select press” are attending.Sources have said this morning that PSP2 will be announced at the showcase.Sony has declined to comment on the chatter this morning.In the wake of VG247 publishing this story, MCV has gone live with its own piece claiming “trade sources have confirmed” the console is to be announced at the event.The console, which is currently under wraps, is expected to be released later this year.Going by the codename VITA, PSP2 has been in the hands of developers for at least a year. VG247 published the first images of a development kit last November.Netherrealm Studios and EA have openly said they’ve been working with the machine.This is the megaton. Don’t blink.
QUOTE[UPDATE] Sony has not commented directly on the rumors, but Game Informer was just invited to a Sony event on January 27th in Tokyo. Interesting...
icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Source 2
Well, there have been rumors and supposed leaked pics of it for a while now, so hopefully this is true and we get some juicy details that day.
Also, if you're a DS fanboy and you're gonna post some crap like "sony sucks", "the psp has no gaemz lul" or "ds ftw", don't.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Jakob95 said:
That phone is horrible. Why would you want to use your phone as a gaming device?
Did you even read anything? At all?
Wait, don't answer. You didn't.
And in case you didn't know, the PSP2 is a different device from the Xperia Play phone/PSP phone/PS phone/whatever you want to call it. Or at least from we is known so far.

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well let me just say that "better graphics and an extra analog stick" won't make me buy a PSP2.
I'd rather buy the PSphone to be honest because i always wanted to get an Android phone.

It's gonna be interesting to see a how previous PSP owners are gonna react to the PSP2.
Are God of War, Uncharted and Killzone enough reasons for them to buy a PSP2?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hova1 said:

If it has Peace Walker 2 then I'm just sold. Peace Walker rocked my socks.

And there's plenty of other reasons to buy a PSP2. If it gets a larger PSX library (and an actually good control scheme for 'em), possibly even PS2 titles, then that alone will be plenty good.

There's also Ratchet and Clank, which I would enjoy, and hopefully they'd revive Jak and Daxter (if they just brought us back to The Precursor Legacy type of gameplay I'd be blown away). I'd even be more blown away if they got their hands back on Spyro and Crash and made actually good games for them (outside of the three excellent PSX games, which in my opinion blew Super Mario 64 out of the water as platformers).

They've also got an upper hand on Final Fantasy (the PSP did have Dissidia, Crisis Core, etc), Kingdom Hearts (even I'll admit BBS, despite the usual bad narrative, was better than 358/2 and I have yet to try Re:coded) and some other franchises (Persona, etc).

Just saying, when it comes to game library, there's plenty of appeal to Sony and the PSP.

D

Deleted User

Even if they do announce the PSP2, I wouldn't get my hopes up for any "recent" release date, on account of the fiasco of a situation they're having with the PSP & PS3. Sony won't put out another product until they're sure it'll be "secure", which means relatively little to us. It'll be interesting to see what kind of security measures will be on the 3DS and PSP2, that's for sure.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The PSP2 (w/e it will be called) is going to be...interesting. If it's been in developer hands since last year, the hardware could potentially already be dated. That's doubtful and not really a concern though.

The main concern: Is it better than the 3DS? Can it at least legitimately compete with the 3DS? Will it have good developer support after the screw up known as every single PSP model to date now?

I don't own a PSP. I've spent limited time with one. I'm a very DS oriented person. I still loved what I played of the PSP, would love to own a hacked 1000 or early 2000 series model, and really want to enjoy the good games available. In the end though, it just can't compete in the upcoming generation for handhelds. Like the DS/DSlite/DSi, it will become dated very quickly. Damn you hardware and game systems and your inability to last beyond a few years before the next thing comes out.

I don't doubt that the PSP2 will have gorgeous graphics, though I do doubt it being substantially better than the 3DS. I don't foresee people emulating PS2 games on it, nor do I foresee it having, say, an Xbox emulator or a Gamecube emulator.

Like the 3DS when we only knew it's name though, we'll just have to wait and see for the details. If anything, it will just be announced for the public to know about with limited details. I do kind of hope they plan to get it out no later than quarter 4 this year, as a post Holiday release would leave Sony further behind with competitor sales soaring with no other real options available.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Announce a Devil May Cry with Dante for it and I'm instantly sold! Still sold nonetheless from what little I know of it so it's a "eventually I will get one later" sort of deal. The grass is always greener on the other side so I will has a 3DS and PSP 2.

Goli

RPG
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Guild McCommunist said:
hova1 said:

If it has Peace Walker 2 then I'm just sold. Peace Walker rocked my socks.

And there's plenty of other reasons to buy a PSP2. If it gets a larger PSX library (and an actually good control scheme for 'em), possibly even PS2 titles, then that alone will be plenty good.

There's also Ratchet and Clank, which I would enjoy, and hopefully they'd revive Jak and Daxter (if they just brought us back to The Precursor Legacy type of gameplay I'd be blown away). I'd even be more blown away if they got their hands back on Spyro and Crash and made actually good games for them (outside of the three excellent PSX games, which in my opinion blew Super Mario 64 out of the water as platformers).

They've also got an upper hand on Final Fantasy (the PSP did have Dissidia, Crisis Core, etc), Kingdom Hearts (even I'll admit BBS, despite the usual bad narrative, was better than 358/2 and I have yet to try Re:coded) and some other franchises (Persona, etc).

Just saying, when it comes to game library, there's plenty of appeal to Sony and the PSP.

Actually the DS has the upper hand on Final Fantasy titles. The ones on PSP though are of a much bigger scale though.
Also, regarding Sony IPs, there's a rumor that an Uncharted handheld iteration is being developed...

QUOTE(Nathan Drake @ Jan 12 2011, 10:23 PM)
The PSP2 (w/e it will be called) is going to be...interesting. If it's been in developer hands since last year, the hardware could potentially already be dated. That's doubtful and not really a concern though.

The main concern: Is it better than the 3DS? Can it at least legitimately compete with the 3DS? Will it have good developer support after the screw up known as every single PSP model to date now?

I don't own a PSP. I've spent limited time with one. I'm a very DS oriented person. I still loved what I played of the PSP, would love to own a hacked 1000 or early 2000 series model, and really want to enjoy the good games available. In the end though, it just can't compete in the upcoming generation for handhelds. Like the DS/DSlite/DSi, it will become dated very quickly. Damn you hardware and game systems and your inability to last beyond a few years before the next thing comes out.

I don't doubt that the PSP2 will have gorgeous graphics, though I do doubt it being substantially better than the 3DS. I don't foresee people emulating PS2 games on it, nor do I foresee it having, say, an Xbox emulator or a Gamecube emulator.

Like the 3DS when we only knew it's name though, we'll just have to wait and see for the details. If anything, it will just be announced for the public to know about with limited details. I do kind of hope they plan to get it out no later than quarter 4 this year, as a post Holiday release would leave Sony further behind with competitor sales soaring with no other real options available.
I doubt it will have substantially better graphics than the 3DS too... We've already seen that the 3DS is capable of producing similar graphics to certain PS3/360 games, albeit on a smaller scale. If the PSP2 has something better than that then it probably will be even more expensive than the 3DS and with the current rumors of the 3DS's price a lot of people aren't happy with them. If the PSP2 is even more expensive nobody'll buy it. Like you say it's gonna be interesting to see just what will be the PSP2's main appeal against the 3DS.

LegendarySkitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the hacking crap for PSPs and PS3s I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to rush out the PSP2...

On a side note I hope they go with a better name than PSP2...

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why they don't just merge the PSPhone and the PSP 2. Just make two different models of the same thing, like the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Huguini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sony sucks, the psp has no gaemz lul,ds ftw

Lol, jk.
I think i'll just wait for more information to see what comes up...

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I don't see why they don't just merge the PSPhone and the PSP 2. Just make two different models of the same thing, like the iPhone and iPod Touch.
Why would they want there PSP to have a lousy 1GHz processor? The graphics wouldn't be good as the 3DS. Their goal is to have better graphics then the 3DS.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no reason at all to buy a PSP until Kingdom Hearts BBS came out and the emulators couldn't do anything with it. Now that I have one, and have beaten BBS, I have no purpose for it. I love the system to death, but there's no good games, which is our fault anyway for hacking it so quickly.
*inb4 haha you fell for the stereotype*

I look forward to the PSPhone and intend to get one next year, but a PSP2? No no no. I'm gonna wait on that. If it gets hacked and no good games are coming out, I'll wait until they make a KH game for it to buy it. I wish Sony the best on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: