Rumor: PS3 to Get Google Chrome Web Browser Soon?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by mechadylan, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mechadylan
    OP

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    [​IMG]

According to Dutch site PS3Life.nl, Sony's PS3 entertainment system may soon be getting the popular Google Chrome Web browser despite Google responding that they have nothing to announce at this time.

To quote, roughly translated: Sony has a Webkit source for their PS3 Web browser and can be found here.

Here you can see several things that Sony has updated on March 31 for pilot testing. A forum user NeoGaf the forum was, incidentally, to the bored and a look in the ps3-webkit-support.diff file.

I'm going through ps3-webkit-support.diff because I'm bored. Looks like we're getting Chrome Actually, since Geoff's added a couple of files for ChromeClientPOSIX.

Naturally the full source of his changes are in that diff file also. From what I can tell, the only posix platform refers to the PS3 in Webkit, It does not show up at all in the mainline source code (Unix versions are under Their Typically widget library like Qt or gtk).

There's a lot of functions that are not implemented, but they're mainly ones that involvement windowing that you would not expect to be supported on the PS3.

Might this not mean much since I do not see the cool stuff from Chrome sources, like bookmark syncing, but it's a freaking huge project, and only covers what the diff needed to be changed so it works on the PS3.

Might it not just get Chrome branding visible to the user, but I think if he's calling it chrome client, we can expect good things for the future.

[/p]

[​IMG] Source

2. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I would love to have Chrome on PS3.
    Not that I browse on the PS3 anyway..

3. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Not interested.
    I don't like to browse the internet on my TV.

4. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    That would be very good for PS3 browsing x3. I've heard that their current browser is bad...

5. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

You've heard right. It's terrible. [​IMG]

6. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    Isn't the 3DS supposed to be going with a more Sony-esque browser soon? NetFront, I believe. [​IMG]

7. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    Yes, but the PS3 version was outdated xDD
    I hope that the 3DS' NetFront will be awesome and updated frequently >.>

8. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Who the hell surfs the net with a controller?

For that matter, who the hell surfs the net on their PS3?

9. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Even if I had a PS3, I'd rather use my desktop computer, which is conveniently under the same roof as would the PS3 be.

10. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    If ican surf on my wiii.. people can on the ps3 too

11. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Surfing on the wii feels natural and good. I've surfed on both and surfing on the ps3 is just plain 'meh'.

12. mechadylan
    OP

United States
    I know of only one person, and she uses a usb keyboard. She actually opted for a PS3 over a computer because of the whole, "It Only Does Everything" sales pitch. [​IMG] On a semi-related note, I use my PS3 to watch BluRays all the time as I don't own a BluRay only player... also because of the blah, blah, blah.

13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    maybe cuz chrome is lighter than firefox although IMO (and i think its a fact) that firefox is the most feature-packed

14. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Would Private Browsing work? Full Flash Support?
    Just wondering [​IMG]

15. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Umm how does this involve firefox? [​IMG]

16. Gameking-4

Member Gameking-4 Demon of the mist

Netherlands
    don't keep your hopes up.

i use it sometimes, so it would be awesome. i think it's kinda nice to be gaming and think, "what are tomatoes?" and be able to wiki it.

17. Donald Serrot

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My former roommate and I used to use the PS3 browser frequently to watch YouTube videos on his big screen, that's about all it was good for, and even then it wasn't that great. I don't have a PS3 so this doesn't really mean anything to me, but hopefully this'll at least fix the fact that half the time the YouTube search wouldn't work on it. >_>

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Er, webkit is more than chrome.

19. jeff_rigby

Newcomer jeff_rigby Newbie

United States
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php...2172&page=6

It's a GTK/cairo/gstreamer/pango webkit port converted by Sony to a POSIX toolkit theme POSIX/cairo/gstreamer/pango Naming convention has the GUI toolkit name first.

Open source webkit backend libraries are the same as Firefox Cairo/gstreamer/pango but uses Cairo SVG for rendering which would make the front end work similar to Google's Android Chrome which uses Skia SVG.

It is NOT Chrome, it's Android Chrome-like (many Chrome features disabled).

20. jeff_rigby

Newcomer jeff_rigby Newbie

United States
    New information gleaned from PS3 Webkit LGPL disclosure.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=352

Recap: The coming webkit port backend should work like Firefox as it's based on the GTK+ webkit which uses the same Cairo/gstreamer/pango libraries. It's Cairo SVG based. The front end will have Hildon SVG UI elements with Sony replacing the GTK+ Cairo UI elements with their own Cairo SVG UI script. These elements being replaced are File I/O, popup UI menus and more; IE POSIX OS elements thus the Sony theme name in the disclosure, POSIX Theme Toolkit.

All rendering will be done using the Cairo SVG library with OpenGL. In other words, hardware accelerated using the SPUs, absolutely the best way! International fonts will be supported (Same as Firefox).

Examples of Hildon UI elements below (the icons around the outside of the application. One of the pictures below is of a Desktop using Hildon UI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big questions are what changes are coming to the XMB. The entire PS3 OS UI will probably be rewritten to use Cairo SVG including the XMB. International Fonts will be supported. On the XMB desktop, features like Widgets will probably be supported and that would require at least minor changes. Hilden UI elements could be used on the XMB. Will the XMB survive in a recognizable form?

The conversion to Cairo SVG requires a different way of thinking when imagining what can be done to the XMB screens. SVG enables Infinite desktops, expandable and scrollable (without using extra memory). If you installed Picasa 3 on your PC to support Google's Picasa Website for posting on-line pictures viewable in the PS3 picture viewer then when you click on a picture when using your PC you will be using the Picasa JPeg picture viewer which uses SVG to zoom the picture. Best example of what I'm talking about.

In addition as a Cairo "Surface" the PS3 screens (after the webkit port) can support GTKweb style windows, with applications able to open anywhere and access not only system resources but WEB sources too with 7 lines of code. This is in the second PDF in the above link, GTK-Webkit 2007 & 2008 PDF slide shows.

Interesting things are coming.